Need help on understanding Odin

I got a call from my uncle while I was at school telling me to “Come over it’s urgent” when I got there he showed me his drawings, they’re were pages and pages of them, he then went on to tell me to put the on Facebook and caption it “Odins father came to me last night and said take my sons eye and crush it and I’ll give you all his power and everything he has“ I don’t know what this means and just want to understand it

1 Like

Welcome to the forum! Please take a moment to click the link below and introduce yourself:

handIntro

1 Like

That’s a pretty crazy experience. He is a god that deals with all sorts of mysteries. You might want to get into some Norse mythology books at the least. I’ll suggest two books:

And

http://fallofman.eu/myrkthursablot.html

Mostly because you mentioned Odin’s father, who was a Thurs, one of the primordial beings, his name would be Borr. Check them out. What about the runes and the story of Mimir?

The image brings to mind the swirls of Hvergelmir and the sources from Ginunngagap. There are a few other details but let me (us) know what you find!

2 Likes

Cryptic stuff. Luckily I’ve read up on Norse mythology more than once.

Odin is arguably one of the most influential and powerful gods in the Norse pantheon (Thor and Loki are too in varying aspects). His father was named Borr (Borr is the son of the first god) but little is known about his role otherwise. Odin also sacrificed his eye and it was put in the bottom of Mimir’s well so Odin could gain wisdom through drinking the water. I’m not sure if crushing is supposed to refer to the eye being put in mass-crushing water or if the crushing is a form of offering the sacrifice but in either case I’d take it metaphorically as myth is rarely literal. Study up on Odin, he is a god worth the time spent.

4 Likes

Yea, I’d bet my savings that Odin’s father is not literally saying if you crush Odin’s Eye you’ll receive all his power. It’s often nearly impossible for a third party to interpret someone’s gnosis, visions, dreams, etc. I take this as an invitation into Norse magick, at the very least. Getting to know Odin is an exciting challenge! I should know. He’s my primary god and mentor. The books recommended above are a great start, and also you might try asking Odin directly about this. Get yourself some ale or mead, a candle, some incense, and go out into some nature setting you enjoy and in which you can have some privacy. Make a circle using flour, corn meal, salt, stones, etc, and set up your space inside of it. Light the candle and incense. Pour a drink for Odin and some for yourself. Start calling his name and asking him to come. If you know how, get yourself into a trance. If not, then you should learn. As you fall into trance calling to Odin, you should notice a shift around you, an other worldly presence. You can then start to commune with Odin

3 Likes

All I’m suggesting is to be careful when it comes to Odhinn. That’s all. He can’t be trusted.
I’m reckoning Thor (although I have no personal knowledge of Thor) is a much better bet than Woden and the history of devotees to Thor proves that I’m not alone.
Of course, these are strictly matters for you.

Al.

1 Like

Why would you say he can’t be trusted? I know someone that has a really good relationship with him…

1 Like

Why would you say he can’t be trusted? He is my patron and has never failed me. Also I know 2 other people who love and trust him as I do. I do ritual daily and at least once a week for the past few years are dedicated to Odin.

2 Likes

Thank you for all the replies, I am just trying to figure out what is going on with him as I have never seen this before, What do the scribbles mean? Has Odin come to him? Why would this happen?

1 Like

2 Likes

2 Likes

You could always evoke and ask him. It’s not something literal.

2 Likes

Reminds me of the old biblical story where Abraham was told to sacrifice his son Isaac and Abraham, being a loyal follower, does as he’s told and binds his son. As soon as he’s prepared to sacrifice his child for his faith, God sends a messenger down and gives him blessings for proving his faith and loyalty.

No clue about the scribbles tho.

1 Like

It was like his scribbles were master pieces he wanted everyone to see them and that “everyone will love them” He also said that his twin brother will know that “I have the power now”

1 Like

That made me smile like I just pictured this old man say “Everyone will love them” and I thought it was so cute oml :joy:

But I’ve never worked with any Norse gods except from what little I’ve read but honestly, I’d ask. We can all speculate as much as we want but we can never truly know. Odin could provide insight into his father’s mind/workings as well.

1 Like

Because of stuff that happened to me more than a quarter century ago. This aspect of Odhinn is reflected in His names and in myth.

But as I posted, ‘these are strictly matters for you’.

Al.

1 Like

That’s quite understandable

See: Bölverkr.

Al.

Pray to Odin for understanding