Native American Dancing

Seeing as Native American Ethnicity & Culture is a part of my heritage some of my earliest Magic workings involved many Native Anerican elements (including but not limited to: animal signs, totem working, spirit dances, stories, holistic healing methods ext.).

One of which was the rain dance.

It has become some what of a joke amongst my friends not to ask me to do a rain dance. Most people would think this is culturally insensitive & racist, yet it comes from the history of experiencing intense heat waves & microdroubts in our area & people saying they wish it would rain.

I live in Natuve Territory Lands & one thing I usually do is to (even when done at home) perform rain dances during this time in coordination with other Natives who are also doing the same at their homes & cultural centers (usually spread out over a period of a few days).

After each cell (group or individuals) are done with the entire ceremony processes we of course give thanks thg o the Great Spirit & Spirits & to The Great Mother & ask that the Great Father give unto the Great Mother & all her children (where we are effected) the blessing & offering of rain.

It’s usually funny to see how the Christian’s will be praying … with more results, and are thus discouraged, disapointed, and filled with doubt . Yet, when the tribes get together, or unit & do our thing … with no doubt, nor hopes, but simply give trust & thanks … without a second thought …

We not only see rain where it was asked for, but usually that evening or only a matter of hours afterwards (without any reports or forecast predictions, or at least low percentages … of course we tend not to check the forecast ahead of time).

The joke amongst my friends comes with the fact that everytime I’ve danced … even though, just on my own, it has been an over abundance of rain & usually results in up to a week or three of solid & consistent rain fall (resulting in localized flooding).

My Great GrandMother noticed that the local rain dances I participated in as a child always yielded results when I was a kid … and even just the ones I did on my own orcwiyh other kids in my family.

When I was still young she & a great aunt of mine (really a cousin) and a few other Native Elders all agreed that I showed not just to have inherited the gifts for spirit & weather dances, but other shamanic talents (that run in my family) such as being a seer & healer & being able go commune with the spirits.

So yeah … I’m not boasting… I just love my Native Roots (Charokee & Blackfoot /Choctaw) … and still find a deep connection to the old ways, my ancestors & their links to the teachings & practices found throughout traditional & modern Buddhism & the Native Shamanic Cultures & Practices which have been integrated into themb& influenced them over the Ages.

Peace be unto all Brothers & Sisters under the Father & upon the Mother … mayvwe return ever more to the present in the spirit of unity & love … and there in reside, live & grow … together.

1 Like

Is this a typo? Just asking for comprehension. Most of the others I was able to read past, this one I was not able to discern. :slight_smile:

Pretty cool that you know some of that stuff, I have significant amounts of Cherokee and Choctaw blood in this lifetime and have no living ancestors to discuss traditions with. My grandmother was full blooded Cherokee and died 6 months prior to my birth. I have ties to the Blackfoot as well, but that is a complicated matter :slight_smile:

Thanks for sharing.

3 Likes

My family’s indigenous roots come from Choctaw, there was a time I wanted to incorporate it into my workings but never really did.

3 Likes

Lol … yes that was a typo. Furious fingers and the peck-n-paw limitations of a phone’s keypad. Lol.

It’s supposed to read: “or with”

The other children were syblings and cousins.

My dyslexia doesn’t help lol nor the fact that my brain constently taxt my hands to keep up.

@anon48079295
@Keteriya

I am pleased to have drawn fellow Native bloods to this topic. Thank you for adding & contributing.

Absolutely I count myself Blessed to have gained & retained as much as I still have (though some is lost to memory & the years).

I was just about the only Child in my family whom showed an interest enough in such things that my elders &elders from other tribes found it a pleasure to teach & share these things. There was the constant teasing of how white I was & am from the visibly Native children, but nearly all the elders would chastise them & encourage me by pointing out that while their Native Pride was only skin deep mine grew down to the heart & spirit (thus my skin meant nothing … because we are all family).

3 Likes

I became aware of my Choctaw ancestry through my Irish ancestry because the history the Irish share with Choctaw indigenous people. My last known Choctaw ancestor was my great grandmother. I’ve been doing ancestry stuff to connect the dots to living relatives so far.

2 Likes

Excellent … my GreatGrandmother was also the the oldest living Native Ancester in my family that I knew & my Greatgrandfather was the Irish one lol.

Those Irish boys love those Native Women.

I’ve been related to other Choctaw’s as well through marriages & many of them were anglonized into christianity … but I always drew out (usually the eldest & fullest blood) relatives which still knew, respected, held, practiced & honored the old ways.

1 Like