Mojo, Gris Gris, Ouanga/Wanga Bags

I love mojo bags. The effect that they can have on the reality that surrounds you can be awe inspiring. Mojo bags can be made and charged for any manner of things. Want the love and attention of women or men? Made yourself some badass gris gris! Want luck in business or gambling? There’s a bag for that. Want spiritual protection? Bag it. Want your enemy to suffer and feel the wrath of restless spirits? Make them a bag and leave it in their house!

Okay so your probably thinking “How do I make a mojo bag, FM?” Well I’m about to tell you. The bag itself must be small enough to fit into your pocket or other place. Purses and shoes are excellent places to stash one. A small cloth drawstring bag is usually preferred although leather drawstring bags are sometimes used as well, especially suited for protection. Herbs, stones, planetary squares, sigils and symbols, dried animal parts (usually feet or teeth), bones, and links (hair, blood, sexual fluids, etc.) are all parts that can go into the bag. Select and choose the proper parts according to the properties of the item and the goal of the bag. Traditionally speaking, mojo bags can have up to thirteen items in them but tradition varies. The method I use to create my mojo bags, is to gather the items by my working altar. Then I call a Lwa corresponding to the result into the temple (ex. Ogun for protection). I offer to the Lwa and begin building the bag. I add piece by piece into the bag, charging and blessing each item by the power of the spirit and by my power. When it’s completed, you have to tie it off with string, sealing the contents within the bag. The next part is important and great care must be put into it. Speak your request to the bag and state it’s intention. Be careful what you say. And finally, breathe life into the bag, either with cigar smoke or by you actually breathing on the bag. You are literally breathing life into the bag. My next act would be to anoint the bag with a corresponding oil, such as VanVan oil for luck. Alright! Now that you’ve got your bag, what next? Well, you’ve got to carry the bag with you! Carrying the bag in your pocket attunes the bag to your energy, which it should already have a portion of if you put your hair, nails, blood, or sexual fluids into it. Carry it for two weeks, daily. If you created the bag to curse someone, just bury it or leave it near them. But if you created to bag to benefit you, keep it with you. After the two weeks is up, you can leave the bag at home if you so choose. To maintain the charge in the bag, feed it oil and/or smoke weekly. Feed it.

Now for the airy philosophical shit. This understanding greatly helped me so I’ll pass it onto you all. Mojo bags are essentially a spirit that you create, building a body for it as a vessel. The herbs, stones, sigils, and links that go within the bag, function as the organs. The bag itself that holds the organs functions as a body and as skin. The oil functions as the blood but also as food. The breath and smoke function as the literal breath of the spirit. And the intentions function as the thoughts that move the spiritual/astral body. The Mojo bag concept comes from Africa and is essentially a form of fetish magick and this concept is as old as Africa. I love bag magick and bottle magick because you are essentially creating a spell-in-a-bag or a spell-in-a-bottle and the potential is vast. Hope this helped :slight_smile:

26 Likes

I think smoke is what makes the change possible??

Instead of carrying it with me all the time, cant I just place if below my pillow for few days?
Would it serve the same purpose as you intended above?

1 Like

I love mojo bags too! Deffo in my top 5 favs. Really enjoyed reading your post, not only was it interesting - like to learn how other people do stuff - but was also kinda good to see how similar we are in how we make them…I don’t work with the lwa and I breathe into the bag before I seal it but pretty much only differences.
Nice one! Thank you :blush:

2 Likes

Great post and great reminder about the theory of it. Putting a bunch of stuff in a bag produces - a bunch of stuff in a bag. But breathing life into it like you say creates something much more.

2 Likes

@ElectricDragon Well in theory maybe. But it’s best used as a portable spell. That’s its purpose. @Amber Not enough people on this forum work with hoodoo or look into it. The spellcrafting learned in that system of New Orleans Voodoo and Southern Hoodoo is priceless. @Trilby Basically the concept applies to bottles and other forms of sympathetic magick.

4 Likes

Are mojo bags also effective if you never did any dedication ritual to the Loa or other Hoodoo or Voodoo deities?

4 Likes

Yes. They would just be empowered by your will and whatever energy you choose, instead.

For example: the energy corresponding to your herbs and gems; which is still so even when helped by entities. Spirits just gives it a kick.

3 Likes

Ok, thank you!
I also had the idea of thanking them or dedicating some respect to the entities who are behind the tradition, and maybe offering something to them, even though i did no dedication rite like for example Michael Bertiaux wrote in the beginning of Voudon Gnostic Workbook.

I guess they won’t mind

1 Like

I’m sure they wouldn’t mind. And it could totally work! I just am working within that system and I like to work with the Lwa (the deities of this system). The magick works really well for me that way.

1 Like

I’m pretty interested in that system aswell and i’m sure the time will come that i open contact with the Lwa etc.
I like a natural flow in that case if you know what i mean; maybe that using more and more voodoo recipes in my spell workings will lead to it

Beautifully written definately worth bookmarking

I just made a Mojo bag. It is half Hoodoo and half Solomonic. So I made it on Thursday and on the hour of Jupiter. I used herbs that would work with the Jupiter current. I wanted something to give a little more effect to to fixed star talisman I have. Anyway, I did pretty much what you said, including breathing life into it but I got a problem. maybe I got a problem.

Do I need to carry the bag everywhere with me? If so I got a problem. My petition paper has my name on it. So if I lose it at work and someone opens it, I will be asked questions. things like, is this drugs or what WTF is this? I can always say religion but that might hinder future advancement. The thinking that happens where I am at is like this; if you get up to stuff off the well established track, you need to be smart enough to keep it quiet, if you aren’t smart enough to do that, than your too stupid to be promoted
Anyway, if the Mojo bag is alive I cannot go in and remove or alter anything (like getting my full name off of the petition), or at least I do not think I can.
On the other hand, what if I just sleep with it under my pillow. I could do that, but is it effective?

What else might I carry around to sort of amplify the effect of my Regulus talisman, I want something to sort of act as an earthly assistant to it.