Making your own candles?

I’m really struggling to find any coloured candles in my area
Anyone ever made there own?
Was thinking if I made black/red candles while filling them with the intent of the spell they are to be used for would this only help the spell or do new bought candles have to be used?
TIA :slight_smile:

2 Likes

It’s so easy to make your own, and cheap too. Plus it takes time to dip the wick repeatedly, so you have lots of time to build intent.

7 Likes

I use Ebay for coloured candles. I would love to make my own though. making your own does have the advantage of intent and that is a good thing

4 Likes

You can make your own for your rituals, if you know what sympathetic elements align with your ritual you can add them to the candle as well.

5 Likes

Remember not to pour wax down a sink. You will do this once.

8 Likes

This is why Metal trash cans are a thing :snake:

2 Likes

True, but sometimes people don’t think.

1 Like

Thanks for all your replies :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Ooo good idea!! Thanks :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Also does anyone know if you’ve done a spell and it says to leave the candle burning but the candle goes out about 40 mins later without burning all the way down…is this a bad sign?

1 Like

Birthday candles or tea lights are very good. Colors are more for you than anything else.

Making the candle can put much more power in it. Just get containers that can stand high heat, put wax in it (I save it), put it on a siff with hot water below it and boil.
You can melt crayons for color if you want.
While it’s still warm you pour it in a container with a wick and let it set.

Obviously make sure everything you use can stand the heat and use gloves to keep from burning yourself. :wink:

4 Likes

Yeah that’s what I did today, tbh I just melted tea lights over boiling water, added a black crayon then poured the wax back into the tea light containers. Result black candles :raised_hands:t3: :+1:t3:

7 Likes

Just be aware that wax crayons and essential oils can alter the flash point of a candle, so you might have more than the wick going up.

5 Likes

I have to disagree with this as from what i have seen so far is there are specific links to colors depending on the symbolism of a specific tradtion. Usually only with versions derived from chaos magick are the colors considered arbitrary.

5 Likes

I now have soooooo many blue, turquoise and purple birthday candles that I’m not sure what to do with them, although I did discover that Duke Dantalion likes purple.

The rest I’m not so sure what to do with so I guess, I just have to get over colour making any difference but clearly I don’t want to be hugely disrespectful balanced against sycophantic obsequiousness.

3 Likes

@Sazpot I have made my own for years. Get paraffin wax (soy is too soft) for pillars or tapers. If needed you can get molds or just pour in glass containers. Buy color chips or liquid dye. I have always used rusticescentuals.com or if you want to do it cheaper buy paraffin wax used for canning food at grocery store or Walmart and use crayons to dye.

4 Likes

I agree, I’ve found colour of candle correspondences to be very powerful in my workings.

4 Likes

you make color or dye for black candles ?
i tried with activated charcoal to make the color is not work for me too gray color.
who have a good recipe for making black candle dye ?

1 Like

I once poured hot wax down the loo. Ended up fishing it back out.

1 Like

where do you buy your professional black color ?