Magick Circle

Just thought I would point out on page 43 of Geosophia, it has an excerpt from Scot’s Discoverie of Witchcraft on how ancient magicians would make an imaginary circle if they didn’t have the means to make a real one. So there is precedence for such things. Just fyi in case you don’t have the money or the time to make or buy a circle.

The imaginary circle would be 9 feet, make incantations and spread holy water around. They used no knife or anything. I would use rose water.

I have made a circle using only my index and middle finger while visualizing the circle forming as I sketch it out on the ground with my own energy. Works for me.

Yes, it is very freeing.

LBRP also works.

Most people would utilize sticks, stones, powders, etc. To form circles. It all depends on what tradition and spirit you are working. Circles are mostly western ceremonial magic anyway. Other cultures and even western folk magic did not utilize circles. Often times, the only thing would a creation of sacred space by sprinkling holy water around to cleanse the space and make it holy and fit to receive spirits.

I’ve used sticks for circles and triangles before.

It’s my working belief that the stone circles found all over the world were a form of magick circle, but NOT of the “this keeps the demons out” form, instead they represented the universe, which is why they were aligned to sunrises at the solstices, and became a microcosm of the universe for the priest/magicians to enact their will upon.

I believe that certain divinatory tools work along the same lines, like Tarot, which is aligned to the spheres, elements, planets, etc., and other tools like the I Ching align to more subtle cosmic forces, being similar microcosms that are attuned to the future state of the macrocosm.

Just my perception there, I went and scried and did a bunch of stuff at Stonehenge a few years ago, and that it was a TOOL, not a temple to be passively worshipful in, was my strongest impression, and that’s what I base my own system on.

I use a black cowskin to represent Auðumbla, the primeval cow of Norse mythology, and elements to represent the seven classical planets - gold, an old mirror for Mercury (I’m 99% certain it is, and it works, though I’m going to buy liquid mercury at some point), lead weights, etc.

It seems to me that the ancient people were only interested in what worked, what kept starvation at bay, so the line we have between science and magick was meaningless, and they created these miniature models of the universe as circles because in open country (not a modern-day built-up city) that is how the universe looks - a gigantic circular plate, with the observer in the centre of it.

1 Like