Magical Oaths

Hey All,

I’ve been reading various texts, and am thinking about making a magical oath to the multiverse, and its powers, swearing to complete my Ascent, regardless of the obstacles, and I am wondering if anyone here has made such an oath, and if so, what the experience was like. A magical oath engenders magical consequences so anything you can share of your experience would be greatly appreciated.

1 Like

Only oaths I’ve taken are not to speak about certain practices within a few traditions I’m initiated into. I think you mean you want to make a pact with the multiverse.

No, its not a pact, because in a pact, you are getting something in return for what you do. If you make a pact with a demon, you agree to do something for the demon, who in return does something for you. An oath is something you swear to, meaningfully, and there is usually punishment invoked if you fail to uphold it. Making an oath isn’t to get something, its usually to declare that you will follow through with whatever you are swearing to do.

1 Like

It is extremely powerful, but be mindful of what you choose. It works like a binding spell - it defines what the major trends for your future will be and how they will culminate. I would advise against swearing any negative oaths, because those can come back on you, and I wouldn’t invoke any punishments either. As Crowley noted when looking over his own life, vows of poverty sound great when you’re young, but you’ll regret it when you’re old. Stay broad, goal-oriented and adaptable. A good oath is, “I will master the material plane.” A terrible oath is “I will forsake all pleasure and happiness in pursuit of spiritual enlightenment.” If you perform it correctly, you WILL be held to it, and by “held to it” I mean you will live out the terms whether you intend to or not.

1 Like

Ah, I see what you mean. Thanks for explaining.

I’d never make such an oath because you’re saying that no matter what you’re going to prioritise this, and that could go wrong for you as a human in so many ways that will actually hold BACK your ascent.

If you say “regardless of the obstacles” you’re kinda taking a Sunas-approach to things, of “Hey, kick me in the nuts, piss on my face, and wreck everything, and I’ll keep coming back for more.”

Better to swear to complete your ascent and ask for all obstacles to be removed except those that will leave you stronger and more empowered, with the least harm to anything and anyone you hold dear, and to grant you immediate and graceful acquisition of any lessons so that you spend less time dazed or suffering needlessly.

I’ve had a few dark nights of the soul and some major everyday-life traumas and I learned the hard way that at least for me, being willing and even eager to do things the hard way was just needless bravado and I could have saved myself a lot of wasted time and completely pointless misery.

1 Like

Yup there ain’t the middle, its either Yes or No :wink:

I’d never make such an oath because you’re saying that no matter what you’re going to prioritise this, and that could go wrong for you as a human in so many ways that will actually hold BACK your ascent.

If you say “regardless of the obstacles” you’re kinda taking a Sunas-approach to things, of “Hey, kick me in the nuts, piss on my face, and wreck everything, and I’ll keep coming back for more.”

Better to swear to complete your ascent and ask for all obstacles to be removed except those that will leave you stronger and more empowered, with the least harm to anything and anyone you hold dear, and to grant you immediate and graceful acquisition of any lessons so that you spend less time dazed or suffering needlessly.

I’ve had a few dark nights of the soul and some major everyday-life traumas and I learned the hard way that at least for me, being willing and even eager to do things the hard way was just needless bravado and I could have saved myself a lot of wasted time and completely pointless misery.[/quote] I agree, Lady Eva. When I said, regardless of obstacles, I was thinking more about any internal blocks I have, rather than any external things. Life is to be lived, but I don’t want to do things the hard way if I don’t have to. I’m just thinking that an oath might help me stay on the path of Ascent, and not let my internal issues like laziness and procrastination side track me from the goal.

1 Like

Story. Of my. Life.

Preach it!

I just read your post over on the thread about happiness - I remember spells where I was mildly depressed all the time, then some crucial challenge came up and it was like I had rocket fuel for blood suddenly and kind of thrived on them - SOME of them.

That + the stuff you posted about procrastination in your prosperity thread (hope that doesn’t sound stalkery, me remembering this btw!) about procrastination makes me think you maybe could analyse what’s good pressure you thrive under, because you can see it as a challenge to enjoy, and what’s bad pressure that makes you procrastinate. No-one’s “lazy” IMO, people just don’t do things if they see no benefit in them, but even the most un-driven people usually have a hobby or interest where they’ll go the extra mile happily to get what they care about.

So getting that cleared up could be a good thing, and it can be done: the entities that I’ve got long-term pacts with have got VERY good at working out what attracts me and motivates me to see a task through and what turns me right off! I bet you could find that out for yourself, with a bit of spirit help. Sorry if I’m getting too personal with this.