Magic And Ethics

We all choosed our different magical paths for personal reasons, and the common denominator is to ascend within our paths in one way or another. Some of us stick to one path, peeling the layers within that path to become Masters, and others are eager to try pretty much everything there is to widen their knowledge and experiences in several areas. The end goal is the same: Ascent.

When it comes to magic, and black magic in particular, where does ethics fits in? Is ethics applicable to black magic? Or is ethics in the way for the ego?

Ethics or moral philosophy is a branch of philosophy that involves systematizing, defending, and recommending concepts of right and wrong conduct.[1] The term ethics derives from the Ancient Greek word ἠθικός ethikos, which is derived from the word ἦθος ethos (habit, "custom"). The branch of philosophy axiology comprises the sub-branches of ethics and aesthetics, each concerned with values. Wikipedia

What is considered “good” or “evil”, “right” or “wrong”? Can you, as a black magician, take distance from these ethical questions while doing magic, or is it a necessity to grow within ascendance?

As a magician, and as an individual, we have a consciousness which we base our choices to move forward in life. We have a choice to act, and react towards other fellow humans and spirits alike. Love, fear, joy, anger, sadness or other expressive emotions is foundations to make a choice to do something about it. To act upon it, or to react upon it. Or maybe taking distance, and watch passively. It’s good to have choices, right?

9 Likes

Ethics are a construct, nothing more. Karmically speaking, like attracts like, and as such you’re deeper in the earth the farther down the rabbit hole you go. There are ways to utilize or offset the energies in question, baneful or beneficial.

Some ethics were designed to utilize karma energy. Nowadays this has fallen. The modern human’s notion of an ethical individual is a cow to be slaughtered.

Act as you are. Crowley called it the “true will”, he didn’t grasp the full nature of it. Perform your function, act as you are, and there you will find true ethics. Everything has a place, everything hungers for power and to survive (we’re not special, all gravitated towards power), everything kills.

Following a “code” or otherwise obstructing yourself from completing your mission is useless. There are plenty of differences between men and gods, and this is one.

7 Likes

We always have a choice whether we believe this at the time or not, as black magicians we must break away from any restricting forces that try to control us so that we can have more and more freedom of choice.

This may sound alien to many, especially the muggles but I stopped recognising right and wrong and good and bad many moons ago now. I have no shame in saying that I have no ethics anymore.

The biggest judgements we make are based around what we feel is either right or wrong and good or bad. This behaviour is conditioned into us as children but in reality, it doesn’t exist as things are what they are and once you understand this then you will know what to expect from them.

“We may like or dislike aspects about someone or something…everything has its positive and negative counterparts but this doesn’t make it good or bad, or even right or wrong?”

When we get over this and eradicate it out of our minds forever, we lose alot of those limitations and restrictions we have developed. Initially, you will find yourself prompted to consider other words instead of good or bad and right or wrong as these become too generic and therefore restrict better articulation.

It will start your mind wondering and asking more meaningful questions, more empowering questions to yourself and others, which in turn gets the mind searching for better answers. This will open the mind up in general to possibilities stretching yourself further and setting yourself up to achieve more.

It will increase motivation in you as your fear will be replaced by confidence. Losing these morals and ethics can release you from alot of guilt, shame and heartache which cause no end of misery. You will be able to see life for what it really is without placing any labels on the situation, it will simply allow you to ascend without restraint from empty judgement.

Great question - I absolutely have my ethics nailed down and I continue to compare them against my actions, and against reality, because one of the very first workings I did when I committed to the LHP was to run what 12-steppers call a “frank and fearless moral inventory.” Now, 12-step groups are not my thing, in fact I dislike them, but almost every school of thought has at least one valuable idea, and it pays to be open-minded enough to adopt any that have merit (dates for fertility, from the Qu’ran, being the last dietary change I made!).

When I ran that “inventory” I realised that a LOT of the stuff I was carrying around as guilt or shameful inadequacy was actually clutter or half-absorbed ethics from worldviews that made absolutely no sense, so in the spirit of the 12-step system, I made amends where possible and where this wouldn’t harm anyone, absolved myself of anything where that was appropriate, and moved on. I highly recommend this for anyone entering the LHP and looking for a ritual to break away from bowing to external morals.

With that work done, “evil,” to me, is anything that fundamentally and systematically seeks to limit choice, where that choice involves more life, more flourishing, more freedom to explore potential and live in a natural and healthy manner, and more enjoyment, for all sentient beings on a scale beginning with ME, then my immediate and extended family & folk, our pets, and down through various degrees of importance which includes farm animals, animals in the wild, even bugs and crawly critters.

Anything that sets itself up - I’m looking at you, Abrahamic religions, and also marxism and its manifestations - to nip that in the bud at an early age (in humans) by indoctrinating children with fear to prevent them thinking and exploring the spiritual realms for example - anything that does this en masse to animals, as with inhumane intensive farms, puppy farming, breeding pedigree dogs with genetic defects that mean they’re born sick, all that, to me, is equally evil.

While what’s “natural and flourishing” is a matter of some debate, what opposes and suppresses that is almost always recognisable, whether it’s the child-bride raped into PTSD (soul loss) under a patriarchal religion, the kid brought up thinking he’ll go to hell if he explores why he can see the future sometimes, or the cow that never sees daylight in her life because allowing her that small freedom would put 15% extra on the price of a carton of milk.

Unlike other definitions I’ve played with over the years, this one starts with me, right on the other side of the Divine Paradox, of being in that state of apotheosis, experiencing Self as the One sole source of all creation - anything that tries to limit that (mass religion, skeptical atheism, etc) is evil to me, on a continuum with stuff affecting (on the flipside of the Divine Paradox) every other living being.

That’s what I’m against.

And for my own conduct, in place of prohibiting ethics, I have values - positive things that I can aspire to, so my value of “I like animals” may equally extend to going out even though I have flu, to walk my dog - or, equally, sending an excrutiating death curse against someone who I know was cruel to their own dog.

Try parsing that under “LHP values” and it works just fine - try rationalising it under “RHP ethics” and you’re in a world of moral compromises and equivocations.

And such has always been the case, when people have tried to honour their values, whilst having to pay lip service to fixed external ethical guidelines.

I believe this is because we live in a universe of desire - of desire for more life, more love, more going-towards of all the things we treasure, and that the atrophied dead claws of RHP prohibition and externally-imposed restraint are, at their core, anti-life - as can be seen in their practices of hating women, hating sex, and forbidding exploration of any kind that may threaten their dogma.

They sing a good song about “love” and put a good spin on things as being “for the highest good of all” but there’s always an undertow of hypocrisy, because sooner or later the religions of love will kill their enemies, and the atheist, skeptics, and marxists who believe only this life is real or valid will remove that life from anyone who happens to challenge their dogma.

The Left-Hand Path completely lacks the moral imperative to FORCE others to believe as you do or suffer the consequences, which is a very important aspect - I won’t think less of anyone who thinks my values are a load of waffle, whereas, a believer usually HAS to have people see things their way. They will literally always strive for thought-control of other people.

And the LHP I practice also lacks the ability to set atrocities in motion, and then to “pass the buck” and claim that we only burned these thousands of people alive because it was written in a book, we only beat our children and wives because we’re told to do so, etc.

We retain 100% of the responsibility for our acts, there is No higher authority, and that’s why knowing what you’re against, and also, what you’re for, is vitally important IMO - if you don’t know who you are, you won’t know what you want, and then if you don’t know that, what’s even the basis for practicing magick? :slight_smile:

11 Likes

Ethics might be a “construct” created by philosophers, but values within ethics is very much individual. Putting values aside is to act upon indifference, as I see it.

Maybe I’m wrong, but the Ego seems to be the dominating aspect within black magic and most paths within it, which basically makes ethics and morality something unfamiliar to utilize to the path. I might not agree about your statement, but it’s fascinating nonetheless.

1 Like

For me, ego is that which defines you - you ARE one thing and NOT another, it individuates you. IMO that leads to clearly defined rational ethics that stem from how you define yourself, and therefore, what you seek to have more of, and less of, in your life. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Normative ethics are applicable to any mindset.

They are used for two reasons imv:
: to measure your work’s effectiveness.
: to justify your work and the results thereof to your society.

Unfortunately, due to the nature of practical metaphysics and psychology, sometimes the most effective work is the least justifiable to society. That seems to me to be where ethical dilemmas in magick arise.

It’s up to every mage to figure out an acceptable limit for their normative ethics. Again, sometimes these limits go beyond society’s taboos or even its bylaws and laws, but that is for everyone to decide for themselves.

Ethics is not merely a social construct. It is a construct layered in our ancestors memories and it is in our brain structure. Other animals have morals and ethic. They know what is right and wrong to a smaller degree than we do. For example… A big rat and little rat are play fighting. If the big rat wins every time the little rat won’t want to play. The big rat will allow the little rat to win every so often. The interpretation of this points to a knowing of proper conduct of play and thus has ramifications to other concepts of our mind.

3 Likes

I stumbled upon this video and really I am pondering

2 Likes

I’d say the magician should find a middle ground. Getting caught up in the ego or being enslaved by your desires only causes harm. Helping others in need should be encouraged, but refraining from causing unnecessary harm to self and others should be required. Humans were biologically made to work within a tribe. That’s how we survive. That goes for trying not to hurt others. If you want to concern a deity, that’s fine. But a bit of concern for others helps restrain the ego so it doesn’t go out of our control and hurts us.

4 Likes

Ethics and morality is a human construct and a primitive means of control. They are totally subjective based on the position one finds themselves in and their background and tend to only get in the way of personal power and success.

For me that means the only thing that matters is what I choose to make matter and anything else I will deal with as I see fit based on what is practical and my whims and desires. Within what matters to me I have my own code of honor and conduct but it does not extend to anyone past my close friends and those I bargain or form pacts with under more formal circumstances. Beyond that I have no obligation to anything but my own desires and what would most quickly fulfill them and my long term goals.

I believe ultimately the only rules one must follow are the laws of nature and the universe outside of which nothing is possible and trying to subvert the natural order is a sure path to extinction. Lower laws must bend to the higher laws and that is the key to how magick works. Operating within those laws and using them to the desired effect. Morality and ethics have no play upon it as anything but constructs held by the individual to be important for some reason or another and so it is best to be rid of them altogether if you cannot find or form a system within which you can truly be happy functioning.

2 Likes

In my personal opinion, one cannot escape ethics and morals, because it’s there as a basis of the choices we make in our lives. We can do the talk about “the laws of the universe and nature” all we want, but the laws and nature of what’s “right” or “wrong”, “good” or “evil” is imprinted in our minds, whether we like it or not. We’re just call it something else to fit our own world view and personal agendas.

2 Likes

I’m taking a class in Ethical Philosophy right now. It’s a cluster fuck. Every ethical perspective seems to have it’s issues and faults.

I think it also depends on ones particular worldview. I’m reminded of the Bagavad Gita where Krishna is telling Arjuna that he has a duty to kill his relatives who messed up the divinely set order on Earth. Arjuna has a religious duty not to kill his relatives, but, as a member of the warrior caste he also has a duty to kill them because that’s his position and they upset the order of how things are supposed to be so he has to set it right. What does Krishna tell Arjuna?: " You’re not even really killing them because all this is an illusion. Pain is part of the I’ll sign of Maya and you have to act. If you don’t act then everything stops (Leela) . So how kill your relatives already".

Conflict within the moral system of the religion + the concept of all this not being real has some messy implications as far as morality is concerned.

We have struggled with the issue of morality for…well forever…as a species. And from what I’ve seen from my classes on the subject we haven’t made just a heck of a lot of headway.

I personally take bits and pieces of different perspectives of objective morality as good ideals to hold to but mix in subjective perspectives for situational leeway. Where this applies to my magickal practice: there are fuzzy thresholds that must be crossed before someone is worth cursing. Not everyone is worth my time to heal/helpas well. Blah blah blah.

Morality is messy messy messy. And a big moral issue that pertains to Magick in the tweenty first century is “The ring of gyges argument”. Acting with impunity. To sum it up anyone who can get away with doing nasty things will, Everytime. I don’t necessarily believe that since I, as stated above, Dont throw curses around just because I know I can get away with it unpunished. But all the same I feel like it’s present to a degree. Most people who throw a death Curse probably wouldn’t handle it with their own two hands because there is a higher chance of getting caught. So take Magick out of it and would they do anything? Nope. (could also be too scared)

Messy messy messy.

2 Likes

Note: I recognize that there are plenty of other factors at play in people’s moral thinking. These are just the ones I brought up.

1 Like

I’m going to have to disagree cuz if this was true I wouldn’t have to hear the phrase " cultural relativism" all the time and I wouldn’t have gotten into an argument with some Saudi Arabian international students at my college about whether or not it’s ok for them to kill their sisters if they get raped. We would think if the laws of right and wrong are imprinted in us then all of these men would have known that killing a woman as punishment for her being raped is wrong, yet they all said that it’s exactly what they would do. And I think it’s fucked up. But maybe I’m just narrow minded and can’t get passed my ethnocentric bias to see the beauty of honor killings . :scream: What a wicked intolerant white demoness am I.

Sorry…I’ll quit ranting.

@succupedia my disagreement is still in total respect for you and your opinions. I may get snarky sometimes in my expression but I hold you in high regard and never mean any offense :blue_heart::handshake::blue_heart:

2 Likes

It’s totally ok to not agree with one another, and I’m not that easily offended. :blue_heart:

Allthough the lack of moral and ethics in cultures that instigates “honor killing”, doesn’t mean they’re without moral and ethics of their own failings. Flip the coin, and I’m sure they have moral and ethical reasons to not getting punished for what they did, or didn’t do “wrong”.

And women in these particular areas - Middle East and India - has lately taken the justice in their own hands, doing beheadings and genitial mutilations of their perpetrators. I would not be surprised if big changes are heading their way in 15-20 years from now.

1 Like

I hope things do change.

1 Like

To me, morals are training wheels for conducting your actions, both mundane and magical. But after a certain point they are worthless.

That is the point where you base your actions on pure cold unfeeling intellect. Meaning you act based on how much power you have, How much of any resource you have, Whether you have the physical strength to do such and such, Or whether you know the skills or knowledge necessary to acomplish your goals.

So for example:

The Moral Aspect of Family is bullshit to me. There is no Family. Its a group of humans fighting to survive that are leeching off each other for mutual benefit.
They are the WORST quality food. Ever.

I prefer to not be leeched off of :joy:

For friendship: Honor/respect and such shit

Love: A pact of Survival/Ascent through means of emotional bonding. Taking into account emotional energy, power level, EMOTIONAL RECIPROCITY, etc. Until of course, they start interfering with my goals/Ascent or start bringing up bullshit. Repeated interference or bullshit reduces nullifies the pact and reduces the offended party down to mere survival. Then they become food.

Magic:
No morals neccesary. Just Intelligent Decisions.

1 Like

I remember a video that EA made that essentially connects morality in Magick to maturity.

He described a phase he went through where he was Cursing people left and right simply because he could but as he got older and progressed in his Ascent he grew out of it. Not that he suddenly had issues with cursing, but I’m saying that if one adheres to an objective morality that says harming people for minor offenses is wrong, then what he expressed can be described as acting more morally with his Magick as he matured in personality.

And to be honest I do see being all " Death to anything and everything I see fit!!!" As being immature. It’s like when you’re in high school all upset about some drama and maybe even get into a physical confrontation family is telling you that when you get older stuff like that won’t even be worth your time. Higher maturity= this person isn’t worth the trouble of punching in the face. Magickaly speaking: not worth my candle.

1 Like

This fits nicely with Magick I think. You don’t Curse me, I don’t Curse you, let’s help each other out as a community.