Learning new rituals - can you refer to notes during it

When you are learning a new ritual can you do the ritual and refer to notes during the process?
OR
Should you memorize it completely? Then do it?

It is not a complicated ritual, I just don’t want to muck it up. It is a Damon Brand, Archangel invocation.
His stuff is pretty straightforward but I don’t want to forget anything.

(I refered to notes when learning the Kabbalahistic Cross, Middle Pillar exercises, but I wasn’t attempting to contact an Angel when I was doing that)

2 Likes

When I first started doing rituals I tried to remember it first, but ended up looking into my book all the time. still had some results. Of course it flows better now, but in my opinion there is nothing wrong with looking into your notes in the beginning.

3 Likes

For ritual 1 in Archangels of Magick when I started out I used to look at my notes during the ritual if I got stuck, still got results and made contact. Although I would recommend learning the ritual fully (especially a longer ritual such as the invocation ritual) so that it goes smoothly and that you don’t have to rely on the notes, and keep your notes with you during the ritual in case you do get stuck.

2 Likes

OK, I will keep studying.

Yes, you can read notes. I do sometimes when doing a particular ritual for the first time.

In his evocation course, EA reads conjurations directly from his journal in the rituals he demonstrates, so as long as you can maintain trance, it doesn’t matter.

Memorisation is always better though, because once you hit deep Theta, the conscious mind goes bye bye, making reading impossible.

1 Like

I also find if I do a run through of the ritual in advance it makes remembering some of it much easier. That is not to say I may not have to read anything, just less. That’s the way I learn anything though, is by doing.

1 Like

You can read notes, but in the end it ends up disrupting the flow of your ritual. I generally memorize my rituals. That’s also part of the old tradition of taking three day to a week to fast and prepare for the working. One would generally use that time to rehearse the ritual and commit it to memory

1 Like

A smooth ritual does show intent. They know I at least took the time to get my act together a little bit.
I think that shows a “good faith” effort - if Angels - in this case Metatron - care about good faith?

Is there a way to rehearse the ritual, like could I do everything but call the Angels name 3 times.
So I could get my practice in - like a rehearsal for the theartre/play

I’ve done the open and close a few times, so that is OK, but there are a lot of names to know.

I am getting my Tarot read to find out what sort of things from my past/past lives is dragging me down in this one and how to get rid of that weight.
So i need to ask Metatron "what Magick would be best for me to use to defeat whatever the Tarot reader comes up with.
I’ve done some of the 72 Names of God meditations to ask for help in getting this ritual correct, so hopefully it will all start to come together soon.

Anwyay , can I do a rehearsal of some sort?
and
does anything I said sound like it might mess up my attempt to contact Metatron.
I am doing the Damon Brand contact - so this is the Seal invocation - it is the least aggressive method to contact him.

I always read notes specially with rituals that need done once only , with ones needing repeating for a few days I still read the Latin / Hebrew words looking at my phone , I’ve never memorised anything rituals and they have worked out fine so far

2 Likes