LaVey's invocation to Satan

I have read the satanic bible many times and in the book of Leviathan LaVey comes with a standard invocation to Satan. What I noticed however is that the invocation to Satan is said BEFORE the invocation to the four crown princes of hell (which creates the satanic elemental circle). An other thing is that the invocation to Satan seems more an invocation to the Power of Darkness in general as LaVey says “in the name of Satan” and he says the sigil of baphomet represents the Powers of Darkness. What actual happens when the satanic mage performs this ritual? What does it mean from a magical point of view that the forces of darkness are bestow their infernal power onto the mage. I know LaVey was an atheist but spiritual Satanists has also said that invocation in ritual.

1 Like

You could take this different directions. Some of the spiritual Satanists and ACS types view the Black Sun as primary being/Chaos, with its emanations (rays) each being different (possibly Acausal) beings. Satan would thus be the first born of the Black Sun. To relate it to Lovecraft, which we know many of these people have drawn from, Nyaralathotep/Black Man is basically the Gnostic logos of mindless, infinite Chaos (Azathoth). Lovecraft himself was merging notions from exotic physics with classical Gnosticism, and unironically demonstrating that the Gnostic ideas some people saw as so holy were basically indistinguishable from some kind of Event Horizon universe.