Lady bugs

My girl friend literally has lady bugs following her everywhere. Any state we are in, in her apartment. Anyone know much about lady bugs?

2 Likes

Well they fly so Bezelzebub might like her, could be related to an ancestor who watches over her who liked lady bugs. A grandmother maybe?

2 Likes

There’s also this new Agey stuff:

What Does a Ladybug Symbolize. A ladybug (or ladybird) is believed to be an embodiment of Lady Luck, bringing good fortune and prosperity along with it. As the insect leads a vibrant and colorful life, it influences you to experience the joys of living to the fullest.

4 Likes

In a recent video I watched about the lesser aspects of Belial, they spoke about other spirits as well. Azazel sent ladybug imagery to a woman as a sign. He told her to expect a ladybug. Later she took an alternative route home and stumbled upon a set of ladybug playing cards. A bit of a stretch, but all I can think of.

3 Likes

My theory on their association with luck is their beneficial presence in agriculture. Ladybugs eat various mites and other tiny bugs that can harm your plants. I have put them in gardens on purpose for this reason. In ancient times, some of the most significant religious and magickal rites were centered around the prosperity of crops, and they probably associated ladybugs as being a sign of healthy crops to come for the reason I stated.

Nothing particularly extra-natural, lol.

Just musings here, @serpens_album, but perhaps exploring general beetle symbolism, whether they are some kind of harbinger or psychopomp, and even the possibility of it being her ‘spirit animal’. Also, I don’t mean spirit animal in the special snowflake, hippy dippy sense; I mean fauna that a person has some kind of energetic synch or magnetism with.

6 Likes

That’s actually an “old wive’s tale”. Ladybugs being lucky. The new agers probably just decided to roll it into their thing.

3 Likes

“Though historically many European languages referenced Freyja, the fertility goddess of Norse mythology, in the names, the Virgin Mary has now largely supplanted her” - from wikipedia.

Freyja is connected to them, by virtue of the above.

2 Likes

Well the new Agers had to get their stuff from somewhere 🤷

2 Likes

I have heard that they are supposed to be good luck. Kind of like how China views grasshoppers.

1 Like

Thanks everyone. Its just very strange. I rarelllyyyy would ever see a lady bug until I met my current girl friend. Now. At least once a week.

1 Like

What video?

Welcome @efficient_queen. It is a rule of this forum for all new members to properly introduce themselves, so please click the link below and tell us about yourself and any experience you may have in magick ie what you practice, how long you have practiced, areas of interest, etc:

intro3