Issues with mobile ads on the forum

Does anyone know who sets these up? I am unsure whether it was something put in place by the software developers, or the owners of this forum in particular. In the last week or so a new type of ad was placed on the forum.

Now, im usually not the type to complain about ads, but this one is always covering the screen, and even when I hit the “minimize” button, a part of it still covers the UI. For instance, the BALG logo is covered and there is barely any room left for me to click on it INSTEAD of accidentally reopening the ad. If I click my profile the link to “latest” posts is covered and I am unable to click it.

Also, it leads to weird bugs where the bottom of the screen (in a size proportionate to the ad) is never loaded, and instead is just a white box. This can make scrolling, and posting a real pain. I have also (on at least one occasion) had the ad load in from the bottom and cover my post-box so I am unable to see parts of what I am typing.

I have had issues with ads covering the screen before, and the usual fix is to close the ad, which prompts Google to ask “why are you closing this?”. Other places give you an option to click “ad is covering content”, which is the only reason I ever close them. This ad however does not give me that option.

What this leads too is everytime I load a page on balg, I need to wait for the ad to also load, so I can close it and not even be able to communicate that im closing it because it is covering my screen. I have to tell Google, “ive seen this before”, or “not interested”. Which often times is true, but it doesn’t actually let anyone know what the real issue is.

In conclusion, who can I contact about this problem? If it is the forum developers I will contact them, if its a BALG specific issue please either extend this complaint to the relevant parties, or let me know who I should contact about it.

Its very frustrating to have to have to wait and go through extra steps just to be able to use the forum correctly.

Edit: a few photos showing the most common issues

4 Likes

If you stay on the last ad above the space that refuses to load- it’s a video and the rest will load after the timer, unless you go to another thread then it glitches and stops loading again at the next ad you cross which usually is not another video and thusly the timer can’t progress.

At least that’s how it seems to be behaving for me in safari.

2 Likes

Is that safari on mobile also?

1 Like

Only on mobile, my gaming laptop is windows. It seems to behave normal on my pc browser. I don’t even have these types of ads pop up there as of yet.

1 Like

Intersting. Tbh I haven’t gotten a video ad yet.

1 Like

I didn’t realize I had either, until I saw the scroll bar going at the bottom of it, it didn’t actually play a damned thing.

My bitch is the interface for the ad stays regardless, even if you close the ad- so it makes it impossible to get back into a minimized message box and I have to hit back, scroll all the way to the top, or hit my bookmark for balg again, to get to the top of the page, because it won’t show the top otherwise after this thing pops up. So hitting new threads, or pms or any of that is a pain.

But it almost seems to be on a timer, because I’m only experiencing it certain parts of the day- so maybe it’s a test.

If discourse wanted to test a new ad system, balg is a big enough forum to be one of the test sites isn’t it?

2 Likes

Maybe… tbh I always wonder what discourse thinks about having a forum for black magick and the occult using their software :sweat_smile: I notice a lot of big tech companies use the software also.

1 Like

Well if they hate us, they might do it on purpose :laughing::rofl::sweat_smile:

1 Like

i never get any adds on forum :eyes:

1 Like

You prolly have an adblocker xD

3 Likes

no i dont

i use

DuckDuckGo browser and it dont have any ad blocker

3 Likes

I had no idea they had a browser… let alone a mobile one

1 Like

its wayyyyyyyyyyyyyy better than chrome and safari

*non sponsored promotion

3 Likes

i only get the little advertisement written on top :eyes:

2 Likes

You lucky duck, lol

2 Likes

Having the same problem while reading this thread.

2 Likes

:joy::joy:

1 Like

Yeah these new ads are a bit of a pain and seem to glitch out some of the browsing for me.

1 Like

Yeah ive had some glitches just trying to browse through threads but I am unsure if they are related so I left them out.

Just downloaded duckduckgo. Hell yeah, that’s way better!

Guess I’ll shitcan chrome, hahaha

3 Likes