Is there a distinction between magic and witchcraft?

Is there any difference between magick and witchcraft? What is the difference between magicians and witches?

1 Like

Witchcraft is a type of magic. Witch is a practitioner of that type of magic. Magician can refer to a practitioner of any type, but is usually used by ceremonial types from what I’ve seen…
…and chaos magicians, always forget about those

3 Likes

Witchcraft is usually defined as magick through rituals or spellwork. Magick is the generalized path of any form of energy work.

There is no difference just what a person chooses to vibe with. A witch and a magician label is just aesthetics.

3 Likes

Well it depends on the destinction and particulary witch or style of witchcraft and magic.
Witchcraft do tend to lean more towards low magic where the tone magic not seldom referes to more ceremoniel or high magic.
But thats not allways the case only a simplyfication.
But there are witches practicing high magic and Magicians using low magic all depending on purpouse.

Perhaps some of the following will fall not only under witchcraft but also sorcery and wizardry, I don’t know (since I’m going to list the meanings of the Italian “stregoneria”). There is indeed low magick as opposed to the high one. Also, practical magick and maybe especially if one only practice, without studying.
Another meaning is black magick and finally there’s common, folk magick which simply takes into account black and white viewing the first as evil and the second as good.

Yes, there’s a difference. Witches use magick in their practices. And magick is energy and intent.

Not sure. There are many categories of witches, and many names they can be called. It depends on who you ask.

Akashiel correctly identified witches as an subtype of magician and in turn a subtype of occultist.

In general the two distinguishing traits of disciplines of witchcraft are spellcasting primarily through emotional mind and will as opposed to academic/arcane/cognitive spellcasting, and focus on effecting results in this particular plane of reality (which is to say that witchcrafts are typically highly thaumaturgic, rather than theurgetic, disciplines).

1 Like

There are many differences or there are none. It depends who you ask. I have expressed my views on the matter, but every time I do I am accused of being elitist because my views aren’t the popular ones.