Is mental evocation is as effective as doing evocation in a physical temple?

I don’t have that much of private space for evocation. Whenever I said that to peoples they told me to do it mentally.

So I was wondering if I imagine everything the temple the tools etc will it be effective enough?

I can get into a light trance btw. And can activate my Living Imagination a little bit. So with all that can I make measurable amount of change in my life?

2 Likes

Thats a great question, whether just purely working the mental aspect of evocation can be as effective as working both the mental and physical aspects of it.

When you come down to it, its all about the mental/emotional state of the magician when performing any kind of ritual, whether it be evocation or otherwise. Without the mental/emotional state, all the physical actions and words spoken are empty and meaningless. The words themselves dont have power, nor do the movements or tools, in and of themselves that is. They are foci for the magician to concentrate upon and get themselves into the proper state of mind (mental/emotional in this case) so they can more naturally open their psychic faculties for communication with entities that have no physical basis, for all intents and purposes.

IMO it is a great achievement to be able to communicate psychically without having to coax yourself into the state of being open to receiving and transmitting. Some people are naturals at this; most of the rest of us need to work diligently on it for a long time to get anywhere.

So to whether its as effective or not, it depends on how well you are at getting yourself into a focused psychically open state without having a physical stimulus to aid you. If you are good at it, and in a meditative state you feel open, receptive, clear headed, and can feel the presence of the spirits just as if you did a physical ritual, I would say it is self-evident that it (whatever technique you are using) is just as effective as a normal ritual.

We should remember always that the tools we use are symbolic. Indeed the entire physical plane is a symbolic emanation from the spirit plane (to put it simply). So while a tool is useful for focusing the mind of the magician, the tool is just a symbol of the essence beneath. If one can directly tap into the essence of the tool, the symbolic representation of the tool is no longer strictly necessary.

All magick is fundamentally psychism. So if you can achieve the proper psychic state through say just meditation, that you can with physical action, it is only your own doubt and distrust in yourself that could cause discrepancies between results.

All IMO, of course.

Important - please take a moment to post an introduction here - it’s one of the Rules of this forum, many thanks! :slight_smile:

I will give my intro. But please give me some time to prepare it.

john, i think you are referring to INvocation not EVOcation.

invoking a spirit means to call an aspect of them into yourself. if your goal is the attainment of knowledge, and that alone, then this is the skill set for you. if you want them to work in your life and make changes for you, then i recommend an evocation.

[quote=“WiseManEcho, post:5, topic:8971”]john, i think you are referring to INvocation not EVOcation.

invoking a spirit means to call an aspect of them into yourself. if your goal is the attainment of knowledge, and that alone, then this is the skill set for you. if you want them to work in your life and make changes for you, then i recommend an evocation.[/quote]

No. LOL…I meant evocation. But not with incense or mirror but by my internal vision.

Was going to reply but you beat me to it - invocation is a different thing to evoking in an astral temple, but both are useful if you have limited space, privacy, and tools.

Also, you don’t even need to “evoke” if you soul-travel to the spirit’s realm.

[quote=“John_Wizard, post:1, topic:8971”]I don’t have that much of private space for evocation. Whenever I said that to peoples they told me to do it mentally.

So I was wondering if I imagine everything the temple the tools etc will it be effective enough?

I can get into a light trance btw. And can activate my Living Imagination a little bit. So with all that can I make measurable amount of change in my life?[/quote]

YES.

evoking without tools is a skill i pressed myself to master when i first started. it CAN be difficult for the newbie without use of a charged circle.

but YES. astral evocation IS possible, and i recommend it. ESPECIALLY for the beginner.

I would have to say yes, doing evocations mentally works, however, Is it the same as using a mirror, no. You can use the sigil method that E.A. wrote about in one of he news letters and you will get results. I started evocation with a mirror and more of a ceremonial style so I had to sort of go back and relearn the sigil method. It does work and I using this method I see results in about a week. It’s good for if you want something done but can’t say that I’ve had much success, so far, with any kind of real communication with only using a sigil. So I wouldn’t say it’s the same but works well.

1 Like

I have done mental evocation. The key is to get into a deep trance. And do everything as you would in a physical evocation. See the candles. Smell the incense. Vizualize every detail of your temple and the spirit. I was in prison for the last year and alot of time i did my evocation thru meditation. You will be impressed by the results.
Remember that it is your magick, that dwells within.

4 Likes