Is drawing a sigil required or is printed sigil ok?

It’s individual. Some people find no difference between printed and hand drawn seals, but for me, hand drawn are easier to connect with energetically so they open faster.

1 Like

I never understood sigils. My first 3 were drawn 5 years ago (2 for Malphas, 1 for Amaymon).
I fancied the symbols, so I took it as a challenge to draw them perfectly.

Drawing or printing works lol it’s the effort you put into the work that matters. Not whether or not you drew it or printed it out.

1 Like

Personally I use both, you are going to get to a point where you won’t need either, you will just be able to picture it in your mind and manifest it.

1 Like

like lucifuge and Asmoday

1 Like

@Demixl. Please make your next post an introduction in the NEW MAGICIAN AND INTRODUCTIONS area, and tell us about yourself and any experience you may have in magick. It is a rule of this forum and you were asked to do one back in June. Failure to do so will result in your posts being removed and suspension of your account until the rule is respected.

About the sigil “issue”, it would be interesting to even build 3D versions i.e. either spherical or with the form contained in the circle, looking the same on each side but geometrically developed internally.

If I were to print the sigil and place a blank piece of paper over the printed version to trace and draw the outlines with black ink or marker, would it be considered hand drawn? It’ll look identical to the printed version. Some sigils are complex to draw from just scratch :neutral_face:

What do you think? Or should I draw sigils literally from scratch.

1 Like

The best way to create a sigil is to make your own sigil, however tracing a sigil created by someone else will not change the fact that it is someone else’s work. The important part is that you feel that the symbols or words have power to you.

When you use a sigil created by someone else you’re using a random symbol of someone else’s creation to focus your magical intention. This can still work and be effective but it is not tapping into your mind and your magic in the way a sigil is supposed to work.

Mastering the art of how to make a sigil properly comes with experience. I like working with paper and a pencil that way you can easily make corrections or changes, however you can experiment with other methods. Digital art, paints, collage, ink pens, can all make excellent sigil mediums.

1 Like

I’ll try my best drawing them myself. Hopefully it won’t matter if it doesn’t turn out exactly how they are portayed or supposed to look. Should I encricle the sigil or draw them without a circle around it? Does it matter really?

1 Like

Great question. Yes, drawing a circle around your sigil is to allow its energy to draw and build and to protect the sigil giving it more power and focus.

Some practitioners draw two circles around a sigil to ensure added protection of the sigil’s energy, many fill the space between these two circles with other sigils, magical symbols, and words/alphabet to enhance the energy and the circles protection of the sigil within.

1 Like

Interesting. I’ll keep this in mind, thanks :+1:

1 Like

One more question. Is it alright if I draw the sigil and keep it around without charging it yet until I’m ready to? Once it’s charged I understand it can be a portal if it’s left charged without burning it, if i’m correct?

Can it also be discarded and thrown away without burning it, or must it definetely be burned into the ether?

1 Like

Yes, you can use it as a talisman, no problem. Yes, empowered with your energy. Yes, you don’t have to burn it although I have on several occasions, discarding it in the trash will work or even burying it.

1 Like

I thought I would also mention what I have done depending on the ritual is fold the sigil into a square and place it in my book of shadows until my goal has been reached, once I have achieved success I will then burn the sigil as a sign of completion of my ritual and the task of the sigil.

If the sigil is made to function as a talisman or if it represents a deity, then it is often activated over and over and should not be destroyed.

1 Like

I think it is fine. I will do a basic trace of the spirit seal, and then fill in the details by hand.

2 Likes

So basically the sigil remains charged and activated even when folded until task is completed. Afterwards it’s to be burned into the ether to close that gateway.

I understand the spirit of the sigil somewhat remains with us as EA pointed out even when it’s burned. My concern is while the sigil remains charged and activated, the possibility of parasitic entities entering through that gateway until the sigil is actually burned. That’s a possibility right?

Also should I depart the spirit prior to burning sigil?

1 Like

Not really for me anyway, I have not had a problem with parasites. I have set a time frame for the castings completion or at least asked for a sign that a deity has agreed to the casting anywhere from 3 to 30 days, after that I would usually burn the sigil, unless I wanted to wait longer for possible success and completion.

Yes, after the ritual is completed, I thank the spirit and ask them to depart.

1 Like

By casting, are you referring to the task you ask them to help you with? I apologize for all the questions lol.

And worst case scenario I imagine I can ask them to banish possible parasites just in case one slips through. Then yes, I ask to depart and then burn sigil after.

1 Like

No problem, yes and yes. You might also have a look at the link I posted on sigils, it should cover all of your questions.

1 Like