Is becoming a magician and having occult beliefs schizophrenia?

Belief in having magical powers and seeing and hearing things others don’t are signs of schizophrenia. But being a Christian or Muslim is not apparently. Who is right, psychiatrists, occultists or religious people? Or are we all in the same category according to psychatrists?

2 Likes

They judge you based on how you interact they understand that we are and hear stuff occult wise the main difference is how it interacts with us, most the time they label you as schiso effective meaning your aware of other things but not adversely effected.

Magical thinking is only considered a problem if it interferes with your ability to function in the world. In the DSM-V, the handbook of the American Psychological Association, it specifically states that such thinking should be properly evaluated within the wider context of the individual’s life. Believing in gods, demons, angels, or the healing power of crystals, is so mainstream now, that no psychiatrist worth their salt would think twice about it.

It is only when seeing and hearing things that aren’t there causes you to present a threat to yourself, or others, or prevents you from holding a job, taking care of your basic hygiene, or supporting yourself, that it would be considered a possible sign of mental illness. Besides, there are many requirements to meet for a diagnosis of schizophrenia than just magical thinking.

Religious thinking is not exempt from being a sign of mental illness. Religious mania, for example, can be an sign of a number of illnesses and disorders.

13 Likes

So what should I do then? If I believe then it’s magical thinking. If not then… I don’t know. People guilt me all the time for not believing in God. I see posts all the time of people thanking God for the good things in their life. Yet I can’t list a single time a good thing has happened in my life thanks to God. Everything I’ve ever had has been taken away thanks to circumstances with no mercy. Even things from my childhood was destroyed. I went on a Christian group on this forum questioning their religion. Got told I am suffering from psychosis and need to see a psychiatrist. There’s millions and millions of religious people but psychiatrists don’t bother them. But if you’re not saved then they don’t want to talk to you. They just repeat the same things over and over again. I don’t know man. I don’t know what to believe anymore.

3 Likes

Like I said, there is nothing wrong with magical thinking. People from all walks of life do it these days so believe whatever you want. With the rise of the Law of Attraction, and the re-emergence of the work of New Thought pioneers like Neville Goddard, millions of people believe they can manifest their dreams into reality, so any decent psychologist or therapist should have no issues with anything you believe as long as you are not violent, or threatening towards yourself or others. They might ask you why you believe what you believe, or how the beliefs make you feel, but part of what they do should be understanding the role such beliefs play in our lives.

4 Likes

Why would someone say you’re suffering from psychosis? Do you think you’re suffering from psychosis? Maybe it’s not a good idea to talk to other people about your belief in magick. You can’t assume everyone is born a philosopher or they’re into the occult when talking about this sort of stuff. So of course you’re going to be told by other people that you’re suffering from psychosis.

I think the only thing you need to do is stop worrying about what other people think and start focusing on yourself. If you’re allowing other people decide how you feel then you need to shut that shit down. They clearly don’t have your best interest in mind if you feel the way you do about things. I think you really need some time to figure out who you are. You need to find yourself and this is something only you can do.

3 Likes

The only difference between someone like you, a Polytheist presumably, and a Monotheist is the number of gods they believe in. If monotheists want to believe in just one god, that’s their business, but that doesn’t mean there aren’t others out there. Simply put, it is a question of fairness and not having double standards. Your gods aren’t worth any less or should be taken any less seriously then their (supposedly) singular God.

A priest blessing someone, a child praying to the Virgin Mary to get something they want or a funeral rite is just as much magic as what most people do here. The main difference seems to be in the efficacy of the magic performed and which particular deity is being invoked to effect the magical working.

1 Like

This is where we must destroy the rules and traditions of our own heroes and teachers.

I like the word ‘seer’ as a term for any person whose perceptions are above and beyond the norm. I am a seer, so I cannot speak to that psychic condition called “normal”.

I’ve suffered greatly in this specific fight. I’ve been locked up and ostracized and isolated, but I’ve also turned the tide of this battle in my own life as I’ve seen miraculous victories in the war for psychic independence.

We are winning. The way things are now will someday be a memory of a darkened age in human spiritual history. We went down the rabbit hole of reductionism and materialism until it came all the way back around to sorcery.

That was a hell of a ride but we did it.
Go science.

Tell your psychiatrist you are an idealist philosopher and that they should go read Emmanuel Kant until they get civilized.

1 Like

I don’t think any sane practitioner considers what they do as having “magical powers” in my opinion.

4 Likes

Imagine the reaction you’d get from people who don’t know you if you told them you had magical powers.

3 Likes

Quite a few psychologists from who the field is still based on today also dabbled in the occult.

But yes having occult beliefs in not schizophrenia. Schizophrenia is something that cannot be controlled and actually disrupts every day life (Which is something a psychologist will look at specifically). No good psychologist will categorize just having occult beliefs as some mental disorder.

2 Likes

So are a lot of things, doesn’t mean those things can’t or don’t exist for real and independently of the afflicted person’s mind.

:woman_facepalming:

4 Likes

It makes me think of the disney show Twitches lol

3 Likes

I was put in mind of the Sabrina The Teenage Witch Episode, “to tell a mortal” :joy:

1 Like

I like the tolerance sense in your comment. I find that if you are intolerant person you will suffer alot from trying to forcefully assert yourself or trying to force people believe the same as you do.

Peolpe have different experiences and so beliefs. I see people prozelytise others to become christians, saying that those who don´t know the holly word won´t be saved such and such… I remind them that if they were born in Saudi Arabia chances are that they would be of mulslin belief… So let be toleran and opn minded - at this stage most of us are yet unable to see the whole picture and have a better judgement.

Back to the OP question. We need to always check our behaviours. Dispite the relactiveness of the things, un-normal is un-normal and I will quote @Darkestknight

4 Likes

As far as I am concerned, I just group all of those people together. I am not sure there is an objective way to tell them apart.

The interesting thing about that is that Christians themselves are hardly monotheists. Even on a basic level, they believe in the Holy Trinity, which states that there are three persons in the Godhead, yet they coalesce into one God. Then there is the cult of the Virgin Mary, where different forms of her are worshipped by Catholics, e.g. they will differentiate between Our Lady of Lourdes, Our Lady of Knock, an aspect known as the Queen of Heaven or countless others, which are treated as separate persons from the point of view of focus for worship.

It is also an established fact, that Elohim, the most common word for God in the Bible, is plural and gender neutral, referring to an entire pantheon of gods and goddesses that were syncretised into one God several millennia ago.

So, I don’t usually debate Christians, it would be pointless due to the extreme, life-long brainwashing they’ve been subjected to from birth, but if I had to, I’d bring up those points with them and also point out that if there are other gods out there, as the Bible clearly implies and sometimes expressly states (you shall not worship other gods is how the commandment goes and not “you shall not believe anyone that says there are other gods out there”), they have no automatic right to claim supremacy for just one god of many out there and in fact this is encased in law in most countries, except for extreme religious autarchies like Saudi Arabia or Vatican City.

3 Likes

I mean psychiatrists have an education and follow science tbf

1 Like

Theologians and Philosophers have an education too and also follow science.

1 Like

I was mainly responding that it seems fairly easy to tell them apart. Otherwise we wouldn’t have different words for them❤

1 Like