How to make potions with herbs and oils

hey there, i’m really curious about that topic. i know you can use herbs and oils for potions (even crystal dust can be used ) so my question is, how do i know what herbs, oils or crystal dust can be used for what, and how to make those potions.

thanks for everyone helping me with that topic

4 Likes

Hi @transendence,

Yes, you are right. You can use herbs, crystals, and everything else to make potions, elixirs, oils and stuff to assist you in working your magic.

As to what herbs/crystals to use for what, is kinda difficult to say, since everyone of us has a different connection to the items they use. There is also no right or wrong way to create your potion, as it depends on your intentions, your level of experience/knowledge of used ingredients, and more. It’s a very personal thing.

For example: I recently created my “Serenity Oil” to help me stay grounded, calm and focused using Valerian flower, Lavender, Rose Petals and St. John’s Wort. Since it’s going to be an oil I put on my body, I used Sweet Almond Oil as the carrier oil.

Some witches include brick dust or graveyard dirt for protection, others just use sage, clove, cedar or rosemary. I hope you get my point.

Research is mandatory, not optional, since you can harm yourself and others by using poisonous plants or parts.

Start by researching the properties of the things around you. To get you started, here is a correspondence chart for herbs/plants:

and for flowers:

But there’s a plethora of knowledge on the internet. And it would be way too much information to post every herb, stone and their correspondences and properties here. Planetary, zodiac, color, etc…

Read through it, connect with the item at hand and see what it tells you to be used for.
Hope this was in any way helpful for you. Feel free to follow up or reach out if you have any questions :slightly_smiling_face:

12 Likes

okay so it depends on what you connect with that herb or plant and out of that connection you know what to use in which potion. did I understand that right ?

Basically, yes. The charts you can find on the internet or in books are compilations of what most people have used the herbs for for centuries. If that makes sense.

1 Like

okay that’s easier than i thought, basically I could start feeling what energy which herb gives me and with that knowledge I could start doing the potions for me though I will get the generell information about the herbs. But that really helped i’m thankful.

Yes, we sometimes tend to overcomplicate things and forget to tune into our subconscious to get the answers we seek :wink:.

Glad you found it helpful. Good “luck” with your creations :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Invest in a solid herb book, pick one plant to work with, and I always heard the safest plants are the ones we can eat.

I have watched several videos with the one plant I am currently working with. Just take your time with this stuff. Dollar store as several good glass bottles too. Invest in actually glass bottles instead of plastic ones.

2 Likes

A point I need to make, for safety reason

What is said above is wonderful advice.

The one thing I feel I must add is do your research into the ingredients you are going to use.

For example, Cinnabar: an absolutely beautiful stone, happens to be mercury in its solid state. Not something you want to ingest or put on your skin.

As well as some plants for example, MonksHood, Foxglove, Brugmansiea and Digitalus are all toxic and highly hallucinationagetic.

So read up on what you are going to use and be careful.

Now with that out of the way. I do wish you the best of luck.:slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

thank you for that advice :slight_smile:
do you have some books regarding those things ? or should i just look out in the internet ?

1 Like

A quick search on a really big website that sells and delivers all kinds of stuff has actually quite a range to chose from:
https://www.amazon.com/s?k=herb+magic&ref=nb_sb_noss_2

Maybe you find something on there, in your local book store or in the interwebs. Give it a try. I find researching and diving into a topic of interest really fascinating and fulfilling. It’s part of creating that potion or whatever it is that wants to be created. :slight_smile:

1 Like

If you have never made, used or worked with creating your own concoctions- I highly suggest starting with Scott Cunningham’s The Complete Book of Incense, Oils & Brews for a solid start.
Yes, it’s Wiccan.
Yes, it’s fluffy.
Yes, it’s an old book from long before most here were born.
I bet most here have not heard of Scot Cunningham. He was the original guy who started the solitary movement for practitioners. His books are what started public recognition seeing Craft in an acceptable light. He took the punches and bore the bruises. May his memory be eternal. He stood for a lot in the time of the Satanic Panic, mid and post. And though he may have some fluff in his personal approach- his charts, recipes and graphs are consistent and solid. I highly recommend him for all beginners, light, dark and everything in-between.

8 Likes

Yeah that book is a good start.

There are a few field guide books on plants that could be helpful too. There is one I have by the department of the army. Will have to find it to tell you the exact name as I can’t remember it off the top of my head.

Oh and Scott Cunningham’s Encyclopedia of Crystal, Gem and Metal Magick might be a good one to pair with his other one.

There is also the Crystal Bible and the Crystal Bible 2. They also have a section on makeing tinkgers in them as well. So that’s a plus!:grin:

I will say again if its safe to eat its probably the safest things to start out with.

1 Like

Scott Cunningham, Raymond Buckland, Sybill Leek, Gavin and Yvonne Frost… Names that bring back childhood reading list memories :blush:

2 Likes

I’m a fan of his earth, air, fire,water books as well. I guess by todays standards he was fluffy but back then we didn’t consider him to be so. He had solid magical techniques and i think any well read Witch learning the craft in the 80’s and 90’s still have fond memories of his books. While i love hearing witchcraft coven lore i owe it to him as well as to the Farrars for presenting solitary as a practice.

I completely agree here. Absolutely the best place for a beginner to start. He is my favorite author on herbs and folk magick. The Magical Household has herbs and recipes in it as well, mostly using common ingredients.

1 Like