How to clean yoga mats?

Sorry did not know in which category this belongs.

I have a Manduka Pro Long yoga mat and was wondering how y’all clean your yoga mats? I saw that the company where I bought mine has special cleaning soap. But was wondering if that’s really necessary. My mat was the second most expensive mat that I could find. So I want to keep it in good condition.

Hand wipe it with warm water and gentle soap.

3 Likes

Sorry, what kind of soap?

The one that is used for hands or dishes?

Either one would work, as they are not abrasive.

1 Like

I have a Manduka Pro. I make a concoction of apple cider vinegar, water and a few drops of tea tree oil. I keep it in a spray bottle and I spritz the mat after I use it, then I wipe it down with a clean, soft cloth. I bought my mat in 2012 and it looks as good as the day I got it. :+1:t2:

1 Like

The Manduka is made of materials that don’t trap bacteria (at least that’s how it was marketed), so it shouldn’t trap anything you clean it with. I have one of those and a few others from Gaiam. Typically what I use is some rubbing alcohol on a rag and then rub down my mats with the wet rag/towel. I took the practice from my local gym, and it seems to work pretty well.

If I’m trying to do something related to spirit work, I use either a cleansing oil from my local pagan shop or Florida Water. I find using something a little extra after the initial cleaning with alcohol 1) smells great and 2) feels like it takes any negative energy away from the pad.