How many licks does it take

…to get to the center of causal reality?

Hey BALG,

I am positing this in the New Magician Help Section as I think this topic is great for newer magicians as they start their journey.

So magicians both new and experienced, what philosophies or philosophical work did ya’ll study before and during your magical practices? Who and what has had the most influence on you as a magician?

Myself I have been influenced (at one time or another) by:
LaVey
Descartes
Sartre
Kant (but not his ethical leanings)
Nietzsche
Pomahazael Draconis
48 Laws of Power
And Bruce Lee

Being a serious student of the Occult I found myself also becoming a serious student of Philosophy as I see the two as being very very intertwined. The more I influence the “Outside World” the more I uncover secrets about the “Inside World” and I turn to now dead philosophers to bounce ideas off of.

So what philosophers or works would the BALG community recommend to a new magician?

Taoism (particularly the works of Alan Watts, who was the best at distilling Eastern thought for the Western mind.)
Nietzsche - Thus spake Zarathrustra, Beyond Good and Evil
Our Gods Wear Spandex (a look at the cultural mythology of comic books)
Comics
Science Fiction, Horror - novels and movies that help to perceive the world in new ways and open the mind.

I have read lavey only the rest of my tit bit knowledge is gathered from web pages, life experiences and discussions with peers. Shiet I already feel underdeveloped!! (",)

Hey All!

I kind of all over the place when it comes to my inspirational background, it ranges from: C.G.Jung, Chic Cicero, Tim Leary, Robert Anton Wilson, Israel Regarde, Maatsaki Hatsumi, Robert Greene, Glen Cook, Ken Wilber, and Christopher Hayaat etc etc
Pretty much each writer gave me insight when I needed it in my development. Cg Jung’s Psychology and Alchemy literally still blows my mind every time I read it, Chic Cicero is pretty much from my GD days, so is Regarde they were a great source of information for that and a reintroduction to magick for me A Garden Full of Pomegranates by Regarde is still one of my favorite books to date. Leary, Hayatt, and Wilson pretty much got me to the point where I joined the GD. Prometheus Rising, Exo Psychology, and Undoing Yourself with Energetic Meditations all great reads and makes you question reality and all that fun stuff.
Glen Cook is one of my favorite si-fi writers The Black Company series is one of the few books I can re read and still enjoy. I can ramble on but yea each of these writers / great thinkers/hippies/ martial artist / and magicians definitely had a hand in my development today.

Best
Keez

Nietzsche for inspiring the drive to discover -my- own values, without sparing others or myself.

Jung for tempering that with just a little wisdom and humanity!

Von Goethe for cultivating the drive to discover and helping me recognize the sheer power that can come from the joy of creativity.

The Tao Te Ching, the Vedas and Upanishads (extra special mention goes to the Bhagavad Gita while I’m at it), and the Pali Canon (plus other very early Buddhist texts) for opening myt eyes to the East and inspiring me in their different ways to transcend.

The Iliad, the Aeneid, the Nibelungenlied, the Tain Bo Cualgne, the Lusiads, and many others for putting the fire of European heritage in me and igniting the desire to take what I want from the world.

Writers like Lord Byron, Yeats, Keats, Shelley, Baudelaire, Rimbaud, Kerouac for preventing me from getting bored with this little world.

The list could go on so I’ll quit while I’m ahead - I guess we on the left-hand path are encouraged to cultivate the ability of turning even poison into medicine. Even the poison of philosophy!

I like that. In a way it is its own special alchemy.

I wouldn’t recommend much of anything outside of something with practical instruction. As much as I like philosophy, and as much as I philosophize, I can say that when looked at objectively, none of it is more important or closer to explaining anything in an empirical sense. You might get inspired to do something, but I don’t find much continuous value in reading people say the same thing in a different way, and yet proclaim that it is indeed unique and more “real” than the next perspective.

Since these philosophies are so subjective, it would be of better value to find something that give you practical knowledge to find one’s own truth. After reading so much of this stuff, and yet not that much, I can say that most of it was stuff I already found within myself. To read it from an authority was nothing more than mental masturbation, fluffing of my own “ego” because someone else thought what I thought. Those who didn’t I could run into the ground with all sorts critical analysis. So while the reading may have helped my vocabulary, it really amounted to shit in terms of growth.

Practice is far more important, to a point of completely negating scholarly study on a philosophical basis. So I can’t really recommend any philosophy that doesn’t have any practical instruction towards finding primordial truths through one’s own experience. I do feel that to continuously read new philosophies when you can find out way more through your own discovery is mental masturbation. That’s not a terrible thing, but it’s not something that I have found to be helpful for growth in this arena.

[quote=“the1gza, post:7, topic:4102”]I wouldn’t recommend much of anything outside of something with practical instruction. As much as I like philosophy, and as much as I philosophize, I can say that when looked at objectively, none of it is more important or closer to explaining anything in an empirical sense. You might get inspired to do something, but I don’t find much continuous value in reading people say the same thing in a different way, and yet proclaim that it is indeed unique and more “real” than the next perspective.

Since these philosophies are so subjective, it would be of better value to find something that give you practical knowledge to find one’s own truth. After reading so much of this stuff, and yet not that much, I can say that most of it was stuff I already found within myself. To read it from an authority was nothing more than mental masturbation, fluffing of my own “ego” because someone else thought what I thought. Those who didn’t I could run into the ground with all sorts critical analysis. So while the reading may have helped my vocabulary, it really amounted to shit in terms of growth.

Practice is far more important, to a point of completely negating scholarly study on a philosophical basis. So I can’t really recommend any philosophy that doesn’t have any practical instruction towards finding primordial truths through one’s own experience. I do feel that to continuously read new philosophies when you can find out way more through your own discovery is mental masturbation. That’s not a terrible thing, but it’s not something that I have found to be helpful for growth in this arena.[/quote]

“I respect only what has been written in the author’s own blood.”

:wink:

In chronological order, Napoleon Hill’s works were my first exploration of this stuff at a young age, because his writings taught me how to be a functional (and even successful) human being, back when I actually didn’t have a clue on that front, so he gets an honourable mention as being the first person to wake me up to the possibility that I can choose what to think, believe, and therefore feel in almost any situation, instead of going with the flow and letting the most convincing arguments programme me into accepting their version of reality.

No-one had ever introduced me to that idea in all my childhood and teenage years: I’d been taught that truth is external, absolute, and must be sought through comparing ideas until you find the RIGHT one (which is usually the one most approved of by the people who matter the most in your life), so the first time I read his teachings I felt so incredibly liberated and alive that it was like I’d been living all my life in darkness, and suddenly he turned on the lights.

All the New Thought and Law Of Mind stuff, which I researched next, and all the Saivite & vedantic stuff I studied also informed my understanding of life and especially metaphysics.

The Kybalion, because those 7 laws apply to E.V.E.R.Y.T.H.I.N.G in life, in the mind, in my own perception.

Everything else made sense once I truly understood that little gem, I spent a couple of days making such dense notes on it I virtually copied the entire text out over again, and understanding that “the universe is mental” plus the rest helped me make sense of why the world is as it is, why I’m as I am, why the people whose lives I know about happen the way they do, with the same situations usually unfolding again and again.

David Neagle helped me understand how these ideas apply in everyday situations through his blog, and the old newsletters he used to do called David’s Diamonds which took all those teachings and applied them to real-life concerns.

Stephen Flowers’ book Lords Of The Left-Hand Path came into my life at just the right time and helped me shake off the last few chains of conventional thought about the purpose of my life and the validity of my goals.

Then fairly recently Psycho-Cybernetics by Maltz for giving me a rational explanation of precisely how (and why) we create the things in our lives that we do, and Prometheus Rising ties into that from a more magickal POV, so the former helped me to truly place the latter in context and made it more useful.

And so much more, but those all marked a quantum leap in my understanding of reality and myself, and gave me the ability to transcend “beliefs” that are formed through reaction and habit, like one of Pavlov’s poor dogs (some of my family were quite political when I was growing up and it seemed like a self-imposed restriction to only see the world in one certain way), and move instead into making choices, including subsequent choices on what to bother investing belief in at all, as a willed act instead of a dumb reaction to external cues.

Manly P. Hall
Eliphas Levi

Other than those, what you guys said :wink:

I’ve read alot of books, but as the 1gza made mention, those with practical illustration, meditation & ritual have benefited me the most thus far on this quest. Illustration & daily work that guides you to true overstanding of concepts will be found the most useful.

For those the honors go to: EA Koetting, Rawn Clark, & Donald Michael Kraid(RIP).

Oh, and the Bible, the Corpus Hermetica, the Epic of Gilgamesh & the Emerald Tablets.

Also my hats off to anyone involved in the research of AstroTheology & historical comparative religion; Acharya S, & Ralph Ellis included; none of this will make sense until you truly understand the stars.

Also…study of Law…natural, fictional or ephemeral.

Which you could take all the way back to Thomas Aquinas…then to Di’Vinci or Aristotle.

Francis Bacon too, just starting to get more interested in Shakespeare…errr…Bacon’s stuff.

Not enough time to lick all the licks in one lifetime, me thinks.

Maybe that’s why we come back.