How long to leave offerings out

Hi all I have an altar going with offerings to Bune, Astaroth and King Paimon (blood and chocolate). Just wondering how long is acceptable to leave them out? Can the non perishable items be left out indefinitely can they be eaten after a few days?

4 Likes

From what I read it seems to be anywhere from a few hours to 24 hours. Are your offering altars seperate or all together at once?

Me, personally, I could only keep the offering out for 2 hours while my boyfriend was at work. Then I explained to Lucifer that it was time to put his altar up. But I hid the offering with his sigil for 24 hours so it was still there to get energy from if he desired.

4 Likes

I have a desk with altars/offerings to all three on it and put them all out at once. The most recent blood/chocolate offerings have been out since Saturday. Iā€™m free to have altars and offerings up all the time so donā€™t really dismantle those.

It has occurred to me to have one space per entity as an altar but the desk is the only surface in the lounge room I have free and donā€™t want to keep two in the spare room and give them less attention than the other.

These altars are purely devotional and Iā€™m not working with any of these entities at the moment - just feel drawn to them and want to build a relationship. Do you think I should pack them up and just focus on one entity at a time?

Also I canā€™t find any info on offerings to King Paimon so hope chocolateā€™s okay. Iā€™ve read that sweets in general are good but not sure if that also applies to him.

1 Like

Offerings should be left out for a minimum of 24 hours if possible.

You never eat an offering for a spirit. Dispose of a food/drink offering by burying it in the Earth and giving a small prayer of thanks.

King Paimon does like chocolate so that is fine (there is plenty of info on this forum about what he likes if you use the search bar) If your altar is devotional, you might want to make an offering of a piece of art to him. He greatly appreciates anything you devote time and effort into creating.

7 Likes

You leave it till its half rotted then toss it.

I guess I should explain why. You see when organic matter decomposes it releases a bunch of stuff like carbon dioxide, water, nutrients and energy.
The reason blood and alcohol are so popular is because they are big energy releasers when they decompose. Sugar gives off a lot when it decompses as well. This is also why the spirits like King Paimon enjoy chocolate and why some prefer soda and carbonated beverages such as Mountain Dew. Carbonated beverages give off a bunch of energy as the carbon releases in those tiny bubbles.
Alcohol because as the alcohol evaporates it gives off energy.
If you have never tried giving beer to a spirit you should its carbonated so constantly releasing energy through continued chemical reaction, as well as alcoholic beverage made from starches which change to sugars and you know the offering is ready to throw out when the beer smells like vinegar.

This should also clue us in as to why phyaical alchemical endeavors resonate with spiritual ones.

9 Likes

In the norse tradition, we can eat WITH the spirit.

3 Likes

There are many traditions where eating with the spirit takes place. However, we were discussing offerings for the demons of the Goetia, and according to that tradition, the offering is for the spirit alone (unless the offering is the experience of the food rather than the food itself, in which case the magician eats the offering so the spirit may taste it through them).

3 Likes

Thanks for the replies all. I ended up eating them before I read this. :expressionless: Wonā€™t do that again. Thanks

3 Likes

Should I do anything to make up for this you think?

Thanks

Uh you should apologize to whatever spirit it was and then offer something else. (imo)

2 Likes

Yep thatā€™s what I thought. Will give something special too. :confused:

1 Like

Offer something that means a lot to you that you donā€™t mind giving up :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Thanks chi. Will give my favourite wine. :heart:ļø And a bit of blood.

3 Likes

Okay Chi I followed your advice and bought my favourite wine and the chocolate Iā€™d get if I was buying it for someone special (as opposed to what Iā€™d get for myself).

I gave a glass of wine, a (big) drop blood and row of chocolate to each, and apologised to them individually. I have an ā€œunmarkedā€ altar to King Paimon (I mean to fix this as soon as possible) so he got a stick of incense as well. I feel like weā€™re good now, and my catā€™s curled up in front of the altar, which he doesnā€™t usually do, so I take that as a positive sign. <3.

2 Likes

This might be a deceptively huge topic, and I donā€™t want to change the subject. I personally discovered a real personal understanding of Urdr through belabouring over making offerings. Possibly eating with the gods has its origin in making sacrifices. And sacrifice is more of an Eastern karmic thing to me. I think if oneā€™s urdr is healthy, one shouldnā€™t need an offering. It makes me so angry thinking about how animals like goats have been used as ā€˜vessels for sinā€™ by abrahamic practitioners, for example. But i also feel that ā€˜teatime with the goddessā€™ is a great sharing of the mead of poetry, but I feel like that is experiential. i think that when one gets acquainted with the older gods, it makes no sense to try and eat with them.

1 Like