How do you ask yes/no questions with playing cards?

What do you guys do with yes/no questions? I mostly see tarot around here and almost never playing cards.

Obviously more red = yes, more black = no

But how many do you pull? I’ve done 1,2,3 and 5 at a time but I feel like 5 is too much…

Here’s my thoughts:
1: For simple questions sort of like flipping a coin.
2: Yes/no/maybe answers
3 - 5: I havent done this in a while, but it’s more like the maybes has more nuance to it. At this point I just end up reading the whole thing instead of just looking for a yes/no answer and it becomes too complex for me.

Depends on the suits a bit.

Hearts are a hard yes. Diamonds soft yes. Clubs soft no, spades hard no.

Red black red is “yes, but…” Like a bump in the road.

Black red black would be “no, but you’ll have a momentary respite”

And on, and on…

Skip to about 8:00

1 Like

The way I pull yes/no with any deck is upright vs upside down. Usually three cards, sometimes four, no more than five. One are for a very quick answer, sometimes in tandem with the general vibe of the card.

I prefer dice for yes/no however. I have a set of tiny D6s and roll a few. Evens are positive and odds are negative, larger numbers are stronger.

1 Like

It really depends. I have a sort of system of meanings for the 24 and 32 decks. Colour isn’t always all there is. Sure, spades are usually negative but clubs can be positive too. In the 32 deck system I use jack and 9 of clubs are good cards, for example. Ace of clubs is neutral so if it’s close to negative cards then it’s bad. And then you have hearts and diamonds for reds. Hearts are not always better than diamonds. Jack of diamonds is sometimes considered the best card and means happiness, best outcome you’d want. And if you’re interested in material stuff, diamonds deal with that while hearts are dealing with love, family and such.

I don’t do strict yes/no that much. Most often I pull 5 cards and read the whole thing. I may also count the nr of yes/no/maybes (sometimes tricky to assign one to some cards) in addition to reading it, though. When I do strict yes/no then it’s mostly 1 card.

1 Like