How can I deal with this (Fear, I think)?

I want to start off with saying that I am in my mid twenties and I am not an anxious, sad or depressed person, on the contrary, I am quite happy even if at times I can have my down moments when something bad happens or I do a mistake.

Yet, despite that, I have a fear of getting old and it is getting worse and worse, I do not know how to deal with this.
I have thought about it and I am fairly sure it is because it is something outside my control, for my whole life I have had and still have goals and I know I can reach them by working hard, it depends on me and how hard I work towards them.

However, there is nothing I can do to stop aging or the time moving forward… At some points dear people around me will die and I will get too old to enjoy life as much as I do now, I feel like I am reaching a peak and there’s the inevitable fall down from that point on.

I know older people can still be happy of course and the loss of dear people is something everyone goes through, this is what I keep telling myself every time but this fear simply won’t fade away, no matter what I keep telling myself, the thought that it is something outside my control is so overwhelming that I keep thinking I would be happy to die young or to live in a “loop” in which I never go past 27 years old.

How would you deal with this situation? Is it something that everyone goes through?

3 Likes

Understand that you can not rely solely on your chronological age or physical body , your are more then this vessel
It’s said that age is strictly a case of mind over matter. If you don’t mind, it doesn’t matter
Accept time with an attitude that reflects your desire to continue living.
old age is associated with death, disability, memory loss, loneliness or deterioration of the body, but your not the physical body so don’t allow it to effect how you live your life or your happiness Aging is a natural biological process. It’s inevitable. Embrace it, and enjoy your life to the fullest.
Or like myself detached yourself from the idea of having “age”

3 Likes

I recall this. I remember it mostly centered around wanting children. I worried I wouldn’t be able to have them and we would never be able to establish ourselves enough financially for kids.

Mid twenties was also when I got involved in the Middle path, or as they say the “Great Work.” I became primarily concerned with “knowing myself.” I later realized, it was just that I had ambitious goals I had tried to give up on, and that fact made me depressed.

I think the point is to have some goals other than just being young and enjoying life. No one is going to recall some young person in their twenties just having fun after they die, like later. It won’t make much impact on the world.

3 Likes

A few weeks ago I feared aging but I realized that it’s your best friend in the end.

Just like the Seasons change or the God and Goddess go through their phases, so do we. Physical beauty (if that’s what you fear losing) is an illusion. You are blessed to have even made it into your 20s!!

Also aging is not the end of the world. Sure there’s some things you’ll have to adjust but with the right mindset, anything’s possible❤️

2 Likes

you don’t need to deal with such a fear - your going to get old whether you fear it or not. alluding to dealing with the fear of getting old is trying to control getting old. Accept getting old is what your looking to achieve.

J

3 Likes

Keep active, walk a lot or find a job where your on your feet all day, your body won’t deteriorate if you remain in a state of action. I worked with this one woman who was in her 80’s, but she was spry, running marathons, and keeping a full-time job. Death isn’t something to be afraid of, it’s a doorway to the next level of existence.

1 Like