Hermetic Laws and Tarot Keys 1-7

Anyone know which law corresponds to which tarot key?

1 Like

Okay now we are talking. Which deck are you using?

2 Likes

Rider Waite

2 Likes

Thats the one I have but admitedly I suck on tarot. @Dankquanicus I wanna hear what you can say about this.

But immediately Law of Correspondence in The Magician, and Law of Gender and Polarity in the Chariot and Priestess immediately comes to my mind.

By the way, I am going by the Laws in the Kybalion, perhaps you have a different source?

3 Likes

Kybalion. Agree on 1 and 2. I was thinking 6 for gender.

2 Likes

Rider Waite is a fantastic choice, very symbolically correct.

1 Like

The Radiant Rider-Wite deck, to be exact. Wanted to get close to the BOTA/RW deck. For the first deck anyway to ease me back in.

3 Likes

The other cards are a bit harder to pinpoint not gonna lie

2 Likes

I prefer rider Waite, then tarot of ceremonial magick, then Thoth. In that order.

2 Likes

@anon25000386 Perhaps you could help us figure which card applies to which law?

2 Likes

Love tarot of Ceremonial Magick. Quite useful. That and the Magicians Deck are my next wants. Thoth deck is cool, perhaps I will check it out.

Nope Iā€™m in over pay grade on this one gentleman.

I do think @DarkestKnight Or @Dankquanicus might be able to help

3 Likes

Iā€™ll take a punt, more from the 7 Principles side:

0 The Fool ā€“ 1: the Principle of Mentalism, All Is Mind.

All is Mind, infinite yet unquantifiable, playing games and willing to create an unknown to step into, just for shits nā€™giggs.

Can God create a ditch so high he canā€™t jump over it? The Fool, and the eternal human condition (and condition of all living beings) is to constantly answer that question, by rising to new challenges and expressing themselves to the fullest of their potential.

The baggage carried so lightly, and the happy dog, are the Mind beginning some new expansion, expecting adventure and taking the smallest amount of whatā€™s needed to meet with it, and overcome it.

Itā€™s 0, No-Thing, neti, neti - and yet it begins everything.

I The Magician ā€“ 2: the Principle of Correspondences, As Above, So Below

This oneā€™s pretty self-explanatory, even his posture illustrates it. The 4 suites/elements are all represented in the card, subject to Spirit/Aether/Will, the symbol above his head.

II The High Priestess - 3: The Principle of Vibration

To steal a bit from Wikipedia, ā€œIn the Rider-Waite tarot deck, upon which many modern decks are based, The High Priestess is identified with the Shekhinah, the female indwelling presence of the divine.ā€

Most people come to Tarot because they want something; some change of state, whether material, emotional, or more wisdom, and as the URL of this forum proclaims, that wisdom and power lies at the intersection of man and Godhead.

So she represents this in its most pure form, and by marrying Marian and heretical imagery, also tips the hat to the many different routes, from conventional mysticism to left-hand path ā€“ down which it may be found.

III The Empress ā€“ 4: The Principle of Polarity

One of the more modern, but IMO useful, applications of the principle of Polarity is that where a need or desire exists, the way to fulfil it must also exist, or one could not conceptualise its absence. The card of fullness, pregnancy, fertility, and nature, shows that as we began with the Masculine Will (per Kybalion Principle of gender, not modern id-pol) taking a leap into the void for the heck of it, we have landed in the grounded, serene, and earthly manifest feminine energy.

This ties the first four cards to the Elements in a new way: Fool leaps into the Air, The Magician and his yellow is the Fire of will, the association of Kings and power, and masculine energy, with fire, is quite well-established; the High Priest3ess is the waters of emotion, the vibrational state of feeling, and the Empress is the grounded Earth, completion of that quad.

IV The Emperor ā€“ 5: The Principle of Rhythm

Wiki: ā€œAccording to A.E. Waiteā€™s Pictorial Key to the Tarot, the Emperor card carries several divinatory associations:

ā€œ4. THE EMPEROR.ā€“Stability, power, protection, realization; a great person; aid, reason, conviction also authority and will.ā€

Kybalion: ā€œEverything flows, out and in; everything has its tides; all things rise and fall; the pendulum-swing manifests in everything; the measure of the swing to the right is the measure of the swing to the left; rhythm compensates.ā€

The Ruling Principle, part purple robes, part battle gear; the opulent crown in front of barren mountains ā€“ all things rise and fall, todayā€™s soldier wearied by battle is tomorrowā€™s King. Itā€™s not quite a Wheel of Fortune images but it begins to imply that, and also somewhat references concepts in the I Ching. Excess leads to reversal: balance is best in all things.

V The Hierophant ā€“ 6: The Principle of Cause & Effect

ā€œEvery cause has its effect; every effect has its cause; everything happens according to law; chance is but a name for law not recognized; there are many planes of causation, but nothing escapes the law.ā€

A card associated with natural, inescapable laws, and understanding the lessons of life, of the consequences of ones own actions becoming the teacher. As Pope-symbol, he again represents an aspect of Man-As-God, this time the aspect where the rubber meets the road, and man aspiring to godhood has to deal with the fact actions have consequences, and that all things in life are the effect of some cause.

A lesson many never learn, and will indeed often treat you like the bearer of some arcane knowledge just for daring to point it out.

VII The Lovers ā€“ 7: The Principle of Gender

Gender is a currently much-abused word but in this context relates to the generative power, the brining together of the abstract will to do a thing with the material means and passion to get it done.

For each endeavour, not only do we have different proportions of those two forces, but always, overlooking them something which transcends them, for better or worse, and casts judgement, or benedictions, on each endeavour begun anew.

Can faith move mountains? Faith and applied work perhaps ā€“ luckily, thereā€™s one on the card to remind us that the beginning (or generation) of any new thing will seem far from its peak, most of the time, and may involve a heck of a climb!

You can probably carry on doing this, 21 Major Arcana, 3 cards per Principleā€¦ :thinking:

(Edit to add, theoretically, XXI The World, the 22nd card, is the period at the end of the sentence, the orb within the square, within which all the Principles condense into solid form.)

Fun thought-experiment! :smiley:

8 Likes

I will be damned. You are damn good Lady Eva

3 Likes

Actually quite interesting that you draw my attention to this, as today Iā€™ve had a drive to get into Hermeticism. Perhaps itā€™s a current pattern in the Spiritus Mundi.

So, unfortunately at the moment Iā€™m afraid I donā€™t have enough understanding of the ā€œHermetic Lawsā€ to very easily relate it with the Tarot, but I can try.

Although, just a note, Iā€™ve seen some Hermeticists of the more traditional mindset donā€™t consider The Kybalion to be truly Hermetic. Well, as I always tend to say, the best or most worthwhile things tend to lie hidden, and the Kybalion is something that seems to grasp at people in general. It is essentially New Age ā€˜Hermeticismā€™. But, I havenā€™t read it fully yet, although the little that I do know about it, I canā€™t say I agree with. Well, I will proceed regardless, and also read it in time.

And as a note, Iā€™m going to use Crowleyā€™s attributions for this.

1 - The Principle of Mentalism: The Fool can be a good attribution with the Principle relating to the All, as the Card is also Pure Elemental Air, which relates to the Mind but is more about mobility and interaction. However, Spirit is Aeon/Judgement.

2 - The Principle of Correspondence: I almost feel that there isnā€™t a key that fully fits this. I also thought of the Magician, but intuitively I feel something here doesnā€™t fit. Logically, there is a connection to it but it does not match fully, it is more of a one way stream. But everything would essentially be a reflection of the Divine Source.

3 - The Principle of Vibration: Bit of a difficult one for me. Perhaps The Magician here can be an interesting attribution, as pure Movement, Mobility.

4 - The Principle of Polarity: Lust/Strength as the Path between Chesed and Geburah. Two Opposites unite to become as one, and within it, pure, great, and true strength is found. The opposites are part of the same action. See The Book of Thoth for how this polarity forms in Alchemy. The two Poles are not as separate as they may seem at first glance.

5 - The Principle of Rhythm: Both Intuitively and Visionary, I saw Adjustment/Justice placed into this Principle. Adjustment is purely the Rhythm of Life. This is the great rhythm, the rise and fall, when one point reaches an extreme, it swings to the other extreme.

6 - The Principle of Cause and Effect: This can also be Adjustment/Justice, or related to it, as within this action of Rhythm, cause and effect is formed. Karma comes into being through this. I believe Crowley says in Liber ABA: ā€œKarma does not act in this tit-for-tat way. An eye for an eye is a sort of savage justice, and the idea of justice in our human sense is quite foreign to the constitution of the Universe.
Karma is the Law of Cause and Effect. There is no proportion in its operations. Once an accident occurs it is impossible to say what may happen; and the Universe is a stupendous accident.ā€

Otherwise perhaps The Star. I saw The Star appear in my mind when letting a card come to mind that fit this principle. It appeared the Rider Waite Deck Version, so the Path between Netzach and Yesod. Tristitia in Geomancy. The Laws of the Universe become set in place, and so Cause and Effect create limitations to how far everything can go.

7 - The Principle of Gender: The Devil appeared for me here. At first I couldnā€™t quite understand it, but interestingly, I checked the Qabalistic correspondences and in the Qabalah this corresponds with the Genital System. ā€œLord of the Gates of Matter. Child of the Forces of Timeā€. Iā€™m not entirely sure how to interpret this but it does make sense, quite amazingly so.

Well, that was interesting. Perhaps a bad attempt, I donā€™t know, but hey you learn through practice as well. Maybe Iā€™ll learn more as I go along.

4 Likes

Thank you very much @Lady_Eva and @Dankquanicus !!

3 Likes

Yeahā€¦that was absolutely fantastic @Lady_Eva And @Dankquanicus. :sunglasses::+1::racehorse:

3 Likes