Hecate and ehecatl

Are those two related in any way ? Are those different forms of a signle entity ? Very curious about it

1 Like

What’s has your own research come up with?

2 Likes

Exept for the name, which is weirdly close, almost nothing, however i feel a connection between them, i hope someone can also feel it

2 Likes

Fair enough. I don’t feel it, but it may help if you give some of the connections you feel are there and keep a couple to yourself for others to verify.

2 Likes

I don’t see them being anywhere near the same except by the sound of their names

Ehecatl is Quetzalcoatl’s wind god form.

The Aztec Wind God’s name was Ehécatl (which simply means Wind in Náhuatl).

“EHECATL {e-he-katł} is the deified element of air and the breath of life. He’s a nagual of QUETZALCOATL, whom he helped create the current Fifth Sun by breathing life back into the bones in Mictlan. He is the god of secrets and mystery, intelligence, and spiritual life. Only smoke, feathers, and birds should be sacrificed to him. His temples were round, sometimes with protruding masks for the wind to blow through. His breath moves the sun and drives the high clouds and rain across the sky. Ehecatl is the 2nd day of the month, and Nahui Ehecatl (Four Wind) was the day-name for the Second Sun, a world ruled by QUETZALCOATL. When that Sun was destroyed by the eponymous wind (hurricane), its people were turned into monkeys.”

Similarly there’s the Egyptian god Heka, which I feel like you could make a better case for than ehecatl.

Heka (god) - Wikipedia(%2F%CB%88h%C9%9Bk,had%20yet%20come%20into%20being.%22

3 Likes

That’s actually incredible
“Ra was said to travel through the sky on the barge, providing light to the world. Each twelfth of his journey formed one of the twelve [Egyptian hours]of the day, each overseen by a protective deity. Ra then rode the barque through the [underworld], with each hour of the night considered a gate overseen by [twelve more protective]. Passing through all of these while fending off various destructive monsters, Ra reappeared each day on the eastern horizon. He was said to travel across the sky in the Mandjet Barque through the hours of the day, and then switch to the Mesektet Barque to descend into the underworld for the hours of the night”

“Ehecatl also helped in the movement of the 5th sun and moon. These had been created when the twin brothers Nanahuatzin and Tecuciztecatl had thrown themselves into a sacrificial fire. The problem, though, was that neither celestial body could move and so Ehecatl, in one version at least, was called upon to blow them into their respective orbits.”

1 Like

It’s mainly because many culture’s underworlds have multiple levels to it, the 12 hours in Egyptian mythology is correlated to the 12 realms of the Duat with the 12th being the throne where the God Usir sits (or to his well known name Osiris)

1 Like

Very interesting, heka and ehecatl both cary the sun and moon through their respective courses, they both bring light and darkness

2 Likes

Except Heka is a embodiment/Primordial God of Egyptian magick or in short energy.

While ehecatl is an aspect of Quetzalcoatl who is a Primordial God of Cosmic energy similar to Shiva, Brahma, Vishnu, Cernunnos, Tezcatlipoca, etc.

1 Like