Since I was a young child & bawled my eyes out because I was sad “The Little Mermaid” ended, the allure of mermaids has been a part of my life. Even today you’ll find mermaids scattered throughout the motif of my apartment. In fact, upon entry, two mermaid paintings are the first thing you’ll see! So what is it about these spirits that I and so many others find so fascinating? It’s simple-they’re to be feared and adored at the same time. Mermaids are beautiful, powerful, & strong. They’re the epitome of “girl power” as they mainly live together in groups. Far from the myths though, they’re not always quite so nice. When wronged, their fury can be deadly. If you build a bond with them they will always have your back.
Facts to know when starting to work with mermaids:
- They have the power of prophecy.
- Mermaids protect the sea and our very nature conscious. One who works with mermaids must also have the same respect for nature.
- Mermaids are very maternal beings usually, so naturally granting fertility is what they are best known for.
- They are masters of love as well & can help one find true love.
- Not so bubbly! They will wage their wrath when necessary and can be good for vengeance against an enemy.
- It is possible to have a relationship with them similar to a succubus.
- They can grant wishes and fulfill petitions.
- More often than not they are quite the seductresses.
- Many are healers that can help one with emotional pain.
*Depending on what type of mermaid you wish to work with, things can vary from what I’ve posted above.
Offerings: Combs, handheld mirrors, seashells, respect, patience, fresh water, salt water, purified water, song
Stones: Aquamarine, Amazonite, Abalone Shell, Coral (symbolizes the petrified menstrual blood of mermaids)
Alters: Seashells, water, flowers, stones, even glitter
Building a relationship with a mermaid:
- Find the mermaid type or person who most speaks to you. Below I’ve posted a list of mermaids I’ve come across in my research. I’m sure I missed some though.
- Once you find the mermaid/type you want to work with, research, research, research!
- Start meditating with your choice. To strengthen this connection you can fill a bowl with water and dip your hands in it while meditating. Finding ocean sounds, etc on YouTube can also help. Visualize the ocean and things associated with your choice.
- Start a conversation with them. Let them know your intention of working with them respectfully & create a dialogue with them. Ask their name as if you choose a type you won’t know it for awhile. Don’t forget to thank them!
- Wearing jewelry with a stone representative of them can help with connection.
- Your intention must be true and free of doubt. If nothing happens at first, don’t get disheartened. Like trying anything new it will take time and patience.