Goddesses of the Sea-Working with Mermaids

Since I was a young child & bawled my eyes out because I was sad “The Little Mermaid” ended, the allure of mermaids has been a part of my life. Even today you’ll find mermaids scattered throughout the motif of my apartment. In fact, upon entry, two mermaid paintings are the first thing you’ll see! So what is it about these spirits that I and so many others find so fascinating? It’s simple-they’re to be feared and adored at the same time. Mermaids are beautiful, powerful, & strong. They’re the epitome of “girl power” as they mainly live together in groups. Far from the myths though, they’re not always quite so nice. When wronged, their fury can be deadly. If you build a bond with them they will always have your back.

Facts to know when starting to work with mermaids:

• They have the power of prophecy.
  • Mermaids protect the sea and our very nature conscious. One who works with mermaids must also have the same respect for nature.
  • Mermaids are very maternal beings usually, so naturally granting fertility is what they are best known for.
  • They are masters of love as well & can help one find true love.
  • Not so bubbly! They will wage their wrath when necessary and can be good for vengeance against an enemy.
  • It is possible to have a relationship with them similar to a succubus.
  • They can grant wishes and fulfill petitions.
  • More often than not they are quite the seductresses.
  • Many are healers that can help one with emotional pain.

*Depending on what type of mermaid you wish to work with, things can vary from what I’ve posted above.

Info:

Element: Water

Planet: Moon

Offerings: Combs, handheld mirrors, seashells, respect, patience, fresh water, salt water, purified water, song

Stones: Aquamarine, Amazonite, Abalone Shell, Coral (symbolizes the petrified menstrual blood of mermaids)

Alters: Seashells, water, flowers, stones, even glitter

Building a relationship with a mermaid:

1. Find the mermaid type or person who most speaks to you. Below I’ve posted a list of mermaids I’ve come across in my research. I’m sure I missed some though.
  2. Once you find the mermaid/type you want to work with, research, research, research!
  3. Start meditating with your choice. To strengthen this connection you can fill a bowl with water and dip your hands in it while meditating. Finding ocean sounds, etc on YouTube can also help. Visualize the ocean and things associated with your choice.
  4. Start a conversation with them. Let them know your intention of working with them respectfully & create a dialogue with them. Ask their name as if you choose a type you won’t know it for awhile. Don’t forget to thank them!
  5. Wearing jewelry with a stone representative of them can help with connection.
  6. Your intention must be true and free of doubt. If nothing happens at first, don’t get disheartened. Like trying anything new it will take time and patience.
23 Likes

List of mermaids:

Al Naddaha Egyptian mermaids
Atargatis First mermaid from ancient Syria
Amberella Gave up mortal life after falling in love with the Prince of the Sea & became a mermaid
Bereginy Slavic mermaids, ally of the Rusalki
Bolbe Greek nymph of a Thessalian lake.
Ceasg Scottish mermaid, half salmon. Grants three wishes when caught.
Finfolk Finnish shapeshifters of the sea
Iara Brazilian mermaids of the Amazon River
Jiaoren Chinese mermaids, craftspeople who cried pearls.
Jengu Mermaids of Cameroon. Healers who served as messengers between humans & the gods.
Limnads Greek mermaids, children of the Potamoi gods of the river. Pallas is a subdivision of mermaids related to them.
Limnaee Daughter of Indian River god Ganges
Lorelei Most famous of the Rhine Maidens
Mami Wata Serpent mermaid of Africa
Marakihau New Zealand guardians of the sea
Melusine French mermaid with two tails
Merman Male mermaids
Merrow Irish mermaids
Neck Scandinavian fresh & salt water mermaids
Nereids Greek mermaids, the 50 daughters of sea spirit Nereus
Nixies German mermaids
Nyai Loro Kidul Queen of the South Seas
Oceanids Greek, Nymphs of the Sea, daughters of Oceanus & Tethys
Ondines Swiss mermaids
Potamides Greek mermaids of fresh water, also known as Naiads.
Rán Norse Goddess of the Sea. She has 9 daughters who also manifest as mermaids.
Rhine Maidens German mermaids of the Rhine River
Rusalka Russian mermaid
Selkies From Scotland; grouped with mermaids but take on the appearance of a seal
Sirens Greek mermaids who sang sailors to shipwreck
Suijin Japanese mermaid, Goddess of Water
Tritonis Nymph of a lake in Libya
Vampire Benevolent mermaids; suck the breath out of victims
Yawkyawk Australian mermaids
14 Likes

13 Likes

Awesome thread
:snake:

5 Likes

Many thanks! :pray:t4::black_heart:

2 Likes

Love mermaids and love this! Do you have an experiences with the mermaids that you don’t mind sharing with us? It’s ok if you don’t😇

1 Like

This is perfect!!! I’ve been waiting so long for a thread like this :scream: :black_heart::black_heart::black_heart:

2 Likes

6 Likes

I think this can count as reverence lol
Got a tail from mertailor.
out of curiosity… Is anyone else here in the mer subculture???

4 Likes

I found this on Facebook the other day and copied it over. :heartpulse::dolphin:

I’ve never worked with Mermaids before.

Are you drawn to water?

6 Likes

FYI: That tale is lovely.

Now you’ve got me interested.

As far as Merculture, I’d maybe try MeetUp and something aquariums hire people to perform. :blush:

Or just get with friends and have fun in a pool.

5 Likes

Omg I luv that pic :heart_eyes::heartbeat::revolving_hearts::heart:!!!
Totally drawn to water… :thinking: And fire !?! Weird being polar opposites but they’re my yin yang.

Mabye cause my sun signs Leo and my moon is pisces lol
Actually got like four pisces in my birth chart.

But yeah I’m sure there’s a. Aquarium around here somewhere. But one that has mertail performers I’d love to find. I may have to do some research…

3 Likes

You guys can use the search function as well to look up sea witches and witchcraft as well as mermaids and sea gods. As there are quite a few older threads you might find useful.

3 Likes

Literally taking this sea in a jar tho… Just walked out to the ocean tonight, full moon and all… Thunder and lightening was EVERYWHERE (Luckily infantry school and dancing in the rain had gotten me used to it all these years lol) talk about Georgeous.

I walked out into the water and asked Atargatis Permission to take a bottle full of water, then I basically said something along the lines of, “a willing student stands at your feet open to accept you if you’ll accept me and May we do great things together”… Lightning flashed and it began to rain!!! I can’t wait to see what this starts. Creating an altar for her when I get home!!!

2 Likes

So I’m curious if anyone knows but isnt the star bucks emblem based off Atargatis???

3 Likes

It’s a possibility as she is one of the earliest representations of the mer design but it also has possible links to the greek and Italian sirens. The dual tailed siren was quite popular.

3 Likes

Omg :scream: I want that for my Atargatis altar

By any chance did you find that on an online museum or for sale at a shop???

It’s from the metropolitan museum. It’s of a siren from Rome in Italy.

1 Like

I’m totally scowering the internet for a replica now mwahaha

1 Like