Elements and their properties (My version)

I’ve always been attracted to general Witchcraft and I’ve been studying it more often lately because I notice that a knowledge of the craft is good for building blocks do more advanced rituals. Being around nature quite a bit growing up, I always had a deep want to understand the elements. I noticed that books geared towards Wiccan witches are actually great materials to study nature-based and elemental magic, partially because Wiccan rituals emphasize elemental powers, and partially because Wiccan rituals deal heavily with symbolism. Even though I have troubles with the philosophy of Wicca, the magic is somewhat helpful for me. I thought it would be helpful to share my version of the elements, which is partially dirived from the Wiccan system but with a more Mexican/Eastern/Chaotic twist.

EARTH
Earth is the element of wealth, stability, fertility and growth. Earth tends to be stubborn in the respect of wanting to be what it is, but if it is changed it still has the potential to do many wonders. Earth is symbolized by raw materials, and valuables like money. Its Zodiac signs are Taurus the bull, Virgo the virgin, and Capricorn the goat. It has attributes of the feminine. Earth compliments water, fed by fire, and feeds air. The colors of earth are green, brown and black.

WATER
Water is the element of health, change, life and healing. Water is creative and flows with ease, however it tends to carry contamination better than other elements, so it must be changed regularly. Water is symbolized by cups and caldrons. Its Zodiac signs are Cancer the crab, Scorpio the scorpion and Pieces the fishes. Like earth, it is a feminine element. Water moves earth, is moved by air and clashes rigorously with fire. The colors of water are blue, silver and gray.

AIR
Air is the element of wisdom, freedom, knowledge and journey. Air is stubborn like earth, but in the opposite respect of it refusing to not be on the move, so air never is truely still. Air is symbolized by blunt ritual tools, like wands and paper. Its Zodiac signs are Gemini the twins, Libra the scales and Aquarius the water-bearer. Air is an element with masculine qualities. Air moves water and earth easily but it must fight with fire to put it out, being damaged by the flame in the process. Air is represented by the colors yellow, white and pink.

FIRE
Fire is the element of passion, love, power and transformation. Fire is energetic and malleable like water, however it is the most destructive element, but often it will make way and feed the growth to come from its ashes. Fire is symbolized by sharp or burning tools, like candles and blades. Its Zodiac signs are Aries the ram, Leo the lion and Sagittarius the hunter. With air, fire harnesses masculine qualities. Fire burns air, feeds earth, and can either change or be changed by water. The colors of fire are red, gold and orange.

THE FIFTH ELEMENT
Sometimes a fifth element is in play. The Greeks eventually added Æther to their list of elements, describing it as the breath of the gods. The Tibetans have Space as element number five. In Wicca, the element is Spirit or (uncommonly) Akasha. But I would like to expand on what this element is and how you can incorporate it in your elemental magic.
The fifth element is essentially the element of life. All that lives, has lived and will live is a manifestation of the fifth element. The fifth element is all that is spiritual and intangible on the physical level. This also means it is the element of death, as death is just another fact of life, and life’s opposite within life itself. The fifth element is a cycle between what is and what isn’t. It is not good or evil, but amoral and balancing, yet unpredictable.
I like to call this element Chaos because all that exists comes from it, yet all is not Chaos. If you want to call it by another name, that’s fine. It will still have its attributes when known by another name. According to the Chinese primordial egg story, at one point, the world was only Chaos, until the first being Pangu separated it into duality, from which all other things are based upon. After he did so, he died from exhaustion and became the world. I think that represents the fifth element well in the form of the story, because the fifth element is the egg that creates everything. We don’t know what it is, but it’s around us and we can sense it. Chaos is the light and darkness that feeds and comes from all other elements.
Chaos is represented by purple, black and white, but it’s purest color is transparent. It can also be represented as living plants or something from a living thing. The yin-yang or any other duality symbol should capture the essence of Chaos well. Chaos creates and maintains all elements, which distribute order among themselves independent of Chaos.
Chaos can be hard to work with by itself, as it is an element of pure willpower. Because of this, Chaos is you. As long as you have will, you embody Chaos even beyond death.

I hope this helps or inspire others. Feel free to comment on this and add any details about or related to this. :slight_smile:

15 Likes

Nice! … and yes it is inspiring. I’m inspired that people haven’t forgotten elements in their magick!!

Well written, succinct and vivid.

Thank you!!! :champagne: <-- let’s share a glass … to the Elements!

3 Likes

Thank you! To the elements! :wine_glass:

3 Likes

Just wanted to add uwu

Fire Magick is amplified with invoking and directing the fire element. Fire magick includes:
Confidence, fame, success in gambling, pleasure, securing popularity/charisma, increasing health and vitality, healing, protection, success, magickal power, creativity, enthusiasm, energy, stamina, major changes, adaptability, attraction, sudden changes, stimulation, enthusiasm, creativity, energy, gaining control, changing luck and inciting justice. Revenge, anger, pure sexual lust, and physical gratification, courage, determination, dealing with enemies. Inciting accidents, fires, injuries. Self-confidence, athletics, strength, magickal energy for Black Magick, intensity. Incites lust, energy, strength, sexual energy, dynamism, passionate love, physical desire, courage, will power, and athletics (especially competitive). Good for self-empowerment before workings of black magick. When used in black magick, fire as opposed earth is used to bring on sudden attacks, accidents, bloodshed, violence, and hatred. Fire can also be used to incite wars, anarchy, and cruelty. Properly evoking and directing the fire element will raise the temperature in whatever it is directed to.

Water Magick is sex magick and any magick where body fluids are used. Sex magick can be used with other elements as well, but is ruled by the water element. Water magick is amplified through invoking the water element and includes:
Healing, love, making love, (affectionate; fire is for lust/sex), fidelity, reconciliation, beauty, youth, friendships, attraction, harmony, social functions, indulgence, pleasure. Meditation, psychic ability, telepathy, mind reading, Spirit communication, absorbing knowledge telepathically. Good for beginnings and growth. The home and immediate surroundings, imagination, memory, psychic awareness/dreams, spirituality, meditation. For psychic related, meditative/hypnotic, fertility, marriage, and balance. Inciting jealousy, greed, suspicion, resentment, sickness, disease, and disharmony. Water when directed to another can cause one to be overly emotional, have violent reactions, lash out, and have a very difficult time with being objective.

Earth Magick is amplified through invoking and directing the earth element and includes:
Money, fertility, abundance, material gain, wealth, healing, communication with nature spirits, financial gain, earnings increases, possessions, riches, indulgence, pleasure. The earth element is used in death rituals and can be used along with death energy, used in binding rituals, and to absorb, conceal, for self control, endurance, and patience.

Air Magick is amplified through invoking the air element and includes:
Intellect, computers, communication, audio, video, TV, electronics, books, literature. The Will. For passing exams, improving the mind, concentration, mental power, learning ability, speech, writing, publishing, media concerns, gossip, slander, interviews, brothers, sisters, neighbors, rumors, theft, all areas of study and communication, also astral projection, overcoming addictions, breaking habits. Good for friendship, imagination, creativity inspiration, and charisma. Air also incites confusion, chaos, irritability, nervousness, nervous exhaustion, arguments, and discord.

Akasha/Quintessence/Ether
The ether acts as a primer and from our experience, it strengthens a working, and can be used to connect.

4 Likes