Does magic have limits?

Considering ALL fields of magic, is there anything a person can think about that magic cannot accomplish or help with?

Hmmmm, It probably would not be a good idea to talk to a psychiatrist about magic.

1 Like

I’ve always believed that there’s unlimited potential with magick, although we’re still confined to the limitations of this realm. So I don’t expect mages to be resurrecting dead bodies (different from raising the dead), or altering past events. That’s just not how physical reality works.

Are there cheat codes to circumvent these limitations? Absolutely. But, the thing with those is that they function more like glamours rather then you actually getting around said limitations. For example, there are broader governing magickal principles that you can tamper with to create the illusion of altering the past. This is just one less refined example.

4 Likes

Actually, some of the most well respected classic authors in magick think it should be a prerequisite. If I remember correctly, it was Eliphas Levi who stated that anyone seriously pursuing magick should seek out a psychotherapist, to help guard against delusion and the inherently destabilizing nature of magical experiences, and in Franz Bardon’s Initiation into Hermetics, the “white and black mirror” serves as a psychological technique for accepting the good and bad of yourself so you can begin unhindered. Of course, the wisest choice is to seek out a therapist who is accepting of the spiritual, and there are quite a few.

And I agree with @anon80443026, there are limits to what can be accomplished with magick because there are certain rules that govern this plane of existence and, although those rules can be bent and twisted to extreme degrees, they can never truly be broken. For example, you will never be able to shoot lasers out of your physical eyes. It is not biologically possible, no matter how many visualizations, affirmations and incantations you do or spirits you call. Nor can you fly like Superman (though levitation is quite possible). However, in the astral, these abilities can be had, because the rules governing that plane are different.

4 Likes

Thanks Darkest Knight, You have given me some things to think about and books to read. Blessings -Demeter

1 Like

No, magic is infinit