Does learning rune must read norse mythology?

as title,I really want to know that I must read
norse mythology,or not.
I love to learn rune magic,but I not really like read norse mythology(It’s a little boring to me).I know basic knowledge of norse mythology

One, make a proper introduction. Its a rule.

Two, if you don’t have enough respect for the lore to even bother reading it why would you even bother with runes?

5 Likes

In my case it’s a relearning the mythology. But for me, I believe so.

To me, and tradition requires knowing the mythology/philosophy.

Reading norse mythology will give you knowledge of the symbolism behind the rune. And you will know better how to read and understand runes, that you don’t think, for example that Gebo rune means love, how it is often described in modern esotericism, it has a much broader context.

1 Like

Who does that? I need to slap the dumbass out of someone. Thats is just piss poor translation as well as shitty interpretation.

2 Likes

I didn’t see it here, but I saw some books long time ago that i don’t remember titles, where such thing was stated, and that it is a good partnership and love etc. But you can still find the pages on web that something like this is written.

I like Norse mythology. Before knowing about it (I’m not an expert, though, I’m more interested in the mundane history of Vikings) I struggled with the runes, and after reading about it, I struggled with the runes as well, because despite the Norse myths being cool, inspiring and even funny, I was unable to connect with the overall theme of the old futhark, and then I found the Armanen and now I’m happy

It’s interesting for learning lore of rune magic.
I also want to learn more about it.
But I just can’t read norse mythology patiently

Search for rune poems.

If you can’t sit down and actually study, how do you expect to hone your mind enough to do any effective magick?

2 Likes

Should I read norse mythology at first before learning rune magic?

Hey, there @Perthro I see you joined us January 2019, but this is your first time posting. It is a rule of this forum for all new members to properly introduce themselves, so please click the link below and tell us about yourself and any experience you have in magick ie what you practice, how long you have practiced, areas of interest, etc:

intro3

Failure to make an introduction may result in the removal of your posts until the rule is respected.

Being that the runes predate the mythology, technically it’s not a prequiste in theory, though in reality, just read them. There is even audiobooks out there at the very least. The children if odin and Neil Gaiman’s version should be very easy to digest.

Yup.
Read them. I mean it’s the core of it all. And @UnseelieDiabolus is right, if you don’t have the patience to read, do you really think good things will come out of rune magic attempts. I mean there will be a good lesson to learn there, but believe you want to avoid that kind of extra trouble haha !

But if you want to start with the easy approachable version you can start with the Neil gaiman’s version. It’s definitely not the best but it has a few elements to start, it’s quite well written and maybe it will give you the will to read more later. Who knows

1 Like