Describe Wiccans or Wicca in 2 words

I have written several shorter and one very long poem about and to the forests, to trees as the place of spirits and much else, so I was not the right one to ask. She was obviously a very confused, little tourist.

3 Likes

Have you huged a tree lately?

#NationalHugATreeDay

2 Likes

Is it Arbor day already?

Oh wait isnā€™t Tomorrow Earth day?

2 Likes

I donā€™t know about that, but yesterday was 4ā€“20. :joy:

2 Likes

The history of Wicca in a nut shell. This British civil servant named Gerald Gardner
Borrowed a bunch of shit from the Golden Dawn. Then a bunch of shit from Hindu, and Asian occult sources. Took a bunch of Celtic and western godā€™s. Condensed them down into a masculine and a feminine duality of nature worship. And called it witchcraft today in the 50ā€™s it was the title of his book. Which he published right after Britain removed the old anti witchcraft laws. Part of me wants to say a movement was started by a guy trying to cash in on a recently removed set of laws and the hysteria and hype that would fuel his book sales.

4 Likes

Yup. How appropriate!!

2 Likes

I have enjoyed reading books by Doreen Valiente, and I have little doubts that she would be sad to see how some Wiccans have made it become a religion, in the worst dogmatic sense of the word. She warned about that herself.

2 Likes

Thatā€™s why I like to cut through the bs

2 Likes

You forgot to mention that women the Gerald Gardener trained had to call him out as a mysoginist on occassions.

3 Likes

Never take anything for someoneā€™s word always find your truth for yourself.

2 Likes

Iā€™m referring to things Iā€™ve read studying Wicca in accademic context as a religious studies major. Itā€™s fact, not truth in a spiritual sense.

We have courses on Neo-pagans and new age movements at my school.

Interesting thing to look up: Jewish Neo-pagans. I did a report on it.

3 Likes

@AlphaC look at what you started :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes::stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes::stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes::stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Yes I totally understand that.

That just seemed like an appropriate time to make that statement is all.

1 Like

Yup always starting trouble, isnā€™t he. Lol :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

I have never read the books Gerald Gardner wrote. I know that Doreen Valiente created the poems that were so important for the rituals. I also know that she split up from him and other groups and individuals which is probably why I like her.

Aleister Crowley said, as far as I know, that he refused to take any orders from women, so someone like him, probably more famous than Gerald Gardner, was perhaps even more misogynistic at the time.

1 Like

:joy:

Wiccans can be pretty powerful. Otherwise their belief in the Threefold ā€œLawā€ kinda hampers them, but so long as it makes 'em happy I see no problem with it. Even if it is really just another religion amalgamated from disparate sources wrapped up in a pretty package for people who still want to be told what to do but donā€™t want to go to church. :thinking:

1 Like

Interesting thing to look up: Jewish Neo-pagans. I did a report on it.
Doesnā€™t surprise me Judaism was originally polytheism.
The ruins the new faith was built on are still poking up out of the ground of the Christian church courtyard.
Seeā€¦ Youngā€™s literal translation (but it doesnā€™t matter what version they all say the same)
And God saith, ā€˜Let Us make man in Our image, according to Our likeness, and let them rule over fish of the sea, and over fowl of the heavens, and over cattle, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that is creeping on the earth.ā€™

1 Like

My point when it comes to the easy way of criticizing something, like Wicca here, is that people donā€™t work that way. We are all affected by all kinds of things, subtle or more direct, and we use them in ways that often has no connection to whatever label we use or get on us. I am sure a lot of Wiccans are only Wiccans by name. Labels can be the most empty thing in that way.

Me: Lucifer is awesome

Every Wiccan Iā€™ve met: Oh donā€™t talk to him heā€™s evil!

Me: says who?

Wiccans: everyone knows that

Me: you mean Christians think that. Iā€™m not Christian, are you?

Wiccans: No! Christianity is abusive!

Me: then why are you letting it dictate what you think and do?

Wiccans: uuuuuuhhhhhhā€¦ youā€™re evil and make all Pagans look bad! Youā€™re the reason we have so many problems in society!

šŸ¤¦šŸ¤¦šŸ¤¦

4 Likes

I would like to add though that I find the threefold law ridiculous.

3 Likes