Definition of Magick

I’m attempting to define magical formulae, and am inviting other members to amend, rewrite and offer their input in this definition. Here’s what I have:

The implemention of transubstantive consecrated items, spirits and/ or planetary energies to evoke change first in the astral plane, then manifesting in the physical plane of existence. These changes can be for beneficial and baneful purposes.

I’d be very interested to know what you think.

Thank you!

I think your description limits magick in many ways. If magick is the bringing in of change in our perceived reality then we can accomplish this in many more ways than the tools and methods you list. One could simply stare at a candle and apply will without permission slips like the spirits or the planetary energies. Another option is to enter the dream lucidly and create change in your physical experience, think things like healing or removing blockages, but also the attraction of situations.

I also think mentioning the astral boxes your options in too much. If for example you evoke a spirit and ask it to do harm to one of your enemies, and that person walks down the stairs and for some odd reason misses one and breaks a leg… are you certain that happened on the astral first? One suggestion at the right (or wrong :slight_smile: time and pop.

I think in the end Crowley said it best and to add to that statement is to add limitation. Magick creates change, and it does so under will, for without our will to give a desire life isn’t it just business as usual? However you do it beyond that is a limitless ocean of possibility as far as I’m concerned.

The manipulation of energy or spirits (in whatever form they may be, whether raw or contained in materia) to achieve change.

[quote=“gvgjbune, post:1, topic:3630”]I’m attempting to define magical formulae, and am inviting other members to amend, rewrite and offer their input in this definition. Here’s what I have:

The implemention of transubstantive consecrated items, spirits and/ or planetary energies to evoke change first in the astral plane, then manifesting in the physical plane of existence. These changes can be for beneficial and baneful purposes.

I’d be very interested to know what you think.

Thank you![/quote]All the definition makes sense after all we are basically creating change with our will which could be for beneficial or evil end whether candle magic,chaos.evocation ect, we are creating change to exit as reality some see it as,An art which is generally held to involve dealing with occult or evil spiritual and good agents whose powers can be exploit for beneficial or evil ends.those who don’t believe in hidden or occult will simply define it as,the use of means (eg.charms)believed to contain supernatural power over natural forces, and this absolutely makes senses there many definition to magic there is truth in each one.

[quote=“Yuri, post:2, topic:3630”]I think your description limits magick in many ways. If magick is the bringing in of change in our perceived reality then we can accomplish this in many more ways than the tools and methods you list. One could simply stare at a candle and apply will without permission slips like the spirits or the planetary energies. Another option is to enter the dream lucidly and create change in your physical experience, think things like healing or removing blockages, but also the attraction of situations.

I also think mentioning the astral boxes your options in too much. If for example you evoke a spirit and ask it to do harm to one of your enemies, and that person walks down the stairs and for some odd reason misses one and breaks a leg… are you certain that happened on the astral first? One suggestion at the right (or wrong :slight_smile: time and pop.

I think in the end Crowley said it best and to add to that statement is to add limitation. Magick creates change, and it does so under will, for without our will to give a desire life isn’t it just business as usual? However you do it beyond that is a limitless ocean of possibility as far as I’m concerned.[/quote]

So then we could use the definition I composed, but include personal will and Shakra energies, yet remove the astral plane. Certainly, I didn’t mean it to read as though one needed permission from other intelligences. Let’s come up with one that really hits everything.

Getting/Having/Being what you intend.

Crowley says it best I think…
"the science and art of causing change to occur in conformity
with will."
making it sound too complex with big words is not the most practical definition in my opinion because my main focus is practicality.

[quote=“thinktank123, post:7, topic:3630”]Crowley says it best I think…
"the science and art of causing change to occur in conformity
with will."
making it sound too complex with big words is not the most practical definition in my opinion because my main focus is practicality.[/quote]

I understand completely what you’re saying. Keep it simple. What I’m trying to do here, however, is open a discussion as to what magic is to each of us, and how we would define it. In this way, perhaps there are truths each one of is has that we can use for the sake of mutual empowerment.

Magick - The manipulation or transformation of energy to achieve ones desires, goals, ect.

The art of consistent coincidence.

Pretty Whitty if I do say so myself.

I think this is a succinct description from someone who has been there enough to know what it’s like. :slight_smile:

"Magick is the way of life, my will should line up with my destiny. “Dear o God that dwells in me awaken from sober, enbrace you’re destiny.” ~ Prince Nero 9th Lord