Deceit for profit

Is it unethical in the magical community for someone to sell pro-religious objects (like t-shirts with biblical psalms on them) under a pseudonym?

1 Like

What you are describing isn’t even deceit.

I think that depends on the intent. Are they charging these items to make them have an adverse affect on the buyer, or are they selling them, simply because the items sell and they need a business to run?

Ethics are somewhat personal, but that would be question that defined how I felt about a particular seller. For example, I see no problem with Christianity, and if you are trying to live the way you believe and do good unto others and love everyone without judging as an active thing, rather than as show on Sundays in church, there’s nothing wrong with trying to be a better person and if Christianity does that for you, then good for you. I always just tell people I think it’s more complicated than what church teaches us, and I’ve never had any problems with that as far as people go and accepting that’s my response to whatever their question is.

I have talks with my daughter about what this, that and the other means as far as the bible goes on a pretty regular basis too.

3 Likes

I live in a small rural town in the South. I don’t have a job because not to many places are hiring. Covid certainly doesn’t help. So, I’m considering selling Christian Merchandise under an alias. I think it might be a profitable venture.

And I call it deceit cause I’m profiting off people I don’t agree with.

3 Likes

Unless you have malicious intent with it, I personally don’t see any issue.

Now the buyers might freak out if you were open about it, so I’d just keep that between me, myself and the gatepost if I was you. They’d just be all paranoid and shit you know?

I knew a Christian author a few years ago, that wrote epic fantasy- the kind of shit the church generally says stay away from, don’t let your kids read it because it will open them up to forces you don’t want them exposed to. Etc

She just used different pen names and addresses and kept it completely separate to prevent issues in her personal life. Her intent was to write what interested her, not cause harm so. :woman_shrugging:t3:

1 Like

I could enchant the merchandise to prevent the consumer from causing harm.

1 Like

You could enchant it for any number of things, but I think when you do stuff like thst rather than blessing it generally for good- is where you could inadvertently cross the line, most Christians wouldn’t want to unknowingly purchase enchanted goods, and if one was sensitive and did it could bring down the illusion your created as a seller

But you could sure use glamours and things to appear to be whatever you wanted to appear as, as well.

That’s the idea. What I’m passionate about is fantasy and occultism, among other things conservative type Christians would be against. However, story writing and game development takes up time and money, especially when it comes to “inspiration” (as in books and other games). So, I’m considering the possibility of profiting off of people who I personally disagree with to finance my real passions. I already go by a pen name for writing fantasy.

2 Likes

Please sell lots of King Solomon stuff.

2 Likes

I don’t really see any reason not to do that, but occult apparel sells well too and is harder to find, so you might consider doing that instead or as an additional thing.

1 Like

Thats just called good business and knowing your market :joy:

2 Likes

People sell political merchandise and don’t endorse the candidate. You don’t have to believe in what you’re selling to make a living. I too live in a small rural town in the Bible belt. There’s plenty of Granny/Appalachian folk magic going on that’s kept on the down low. That and the white lightning sales.

1 Like

Ethics are tricky. That’s an understatement. However, I don’t necessarily have trouble selling items to people with whom I personally (and sometimes vehemently) disagree. I’ve sold religious and spiritual goods to all kinds of people. Since I can’t belong to every religion in the world, nor would I care to, I sell to buyers equally, at least within the boundaries of reason. I wouldn’t sell items advancing positions that I truly find offensive. I just wouldn’t. However, my morals aren’t necessarily your morals. In terms of the milder Christian goods, I figured that people are going to purchase them anyway…so why not buy them from me? That money might end up going toward some chain of Christian bookstores, or a megachurch, or l could use it help keep my rent paid.

Also, as the old saying goes, “There’s a sucker born every minute.” I can’t help that. There are people willing to part with their cash for all kinds of religious trinkets. That includes me sometimes, since I’m a collector of certain spiritual items. If I really want something, I’ll buy it, and I don’t particularly care about the spiritual leanings of the seller, unless they’re a noteworthy scumbag.

Anyhow, in my opinion, sell what you’re going to sell. Make a profit. Or a prophet. If you have a decent item, it’ll sell. You can use the proceeds to either stay alive, or enhance your own particular brand of spirituality.

1 Like

I tend to collect books on the occult. I don’t necessarily worry about their belief systems. I don’t necessarily agree with some of them on some things. But I tend to remember that they aren’t selling me an ideology. I just take what I want from a book, and leave the rest.

2 Likes

Dont wait! The Gods are talking to you. Find a good Business associate to help you cause 2 is better to divide tasks. It sounds awesome! Go for it!!! :heavy_heart_exclamation: