Cuneiform

Some of you may know of my…let’s call it keen interest in Mesopotamia (babylon, akkadia, sumeria specifically.) Today I’ve decided to learn and write in cuneiform until it’s second nature just like writing in english. Eventually I plan to attempt to learn the spoken language of this time/area. A huuuuuuge undertaking to be sure, but ultimately worthwhile I think. I feel it would delight Nergal in our talks to use a language He’s used to. (He’s not a huge fan of English but understands / uses it).
Anyway, wish me luck !

8 Likes

Good luck!! Please come back and let us know how it goes :hugs:

3 Likes

Thats a great project! Most of success!

2 Likes

Hey there :slight_smile:
Do you mind linking the source where you learned how to write in it? I’d like to give it a shot and would greatly appreciate it.

2 Likes

Cuneiform is written left to right. As far as structure, syntax, etc…I’m not there yet.
What I wrote on the slip is “Nergal”.

6 Likes

Awesome, thank you :slight_smile:

1 Like

Anytime, I’m always more than happy to share any tiny bit of knowledge I can.

1 Like

Oh man! You the MVP here!! I am just starting my journey through the Mythos of Sumer. I found i have a hell of a lot more in common than i orignally believed. Ive seen acient queniform in its orignally locations. Definitly gonna get used to this!!

3 Likes

Did we just become friends?
Seems like we just became friends.

3 Likes

That’s excellent. Best of luck in your studies.

1 Like

Totes!! Nah, So I did a 14 month tour in Iraq in a southern airforce base called Talliah. Thats in the City of Ur. While i was there i got to travel to their Zigguart which turned out to be the heart of Sumer. So ive made a pilgrimage to the top of their Holy ziggurat without even knowning it. then found another couple of smaller connections. But yeah, That has definitlty helped to push me in this direction.

3 Likes

I’d most certainly like to hear more about this later. I’m about to head to work. All my knowledge is largely from books or just sort of, already knowing.

1 Like

Thats the Zigguart, it was absolutly fucking Massive!!! Im the one with the blue arrow Obviously lol. So yeah to the right of this pic is where the palace was located. it was only about 1-2 feet off the ground now so basically just the foundation or they were still exuming it (spelling). like 300 feet in front of the stairs was the entrance to the kings tomb where he was burried. i tooks some pics in there and only got a few orbs inside of it. I took a picture is the peasants tomb next to it. Jesus christ you couldnt see a thing in the pictures ( see if i can find them). And then a little bit further around it was the House of Abraham. So yeah it was a lot of old ancient stuff. got one picture of the orignal queniform writing still on the kings tomb… or maybe it was the palace walls but yeah ill try and find it

4 Likes

I’m so jealoussss!!!

2 Likes

Unfortunately I didnt understand the significance at the time

It was definitely a foreshadow of things to come. Did you take a stone from that site? How wonderful you were there.

I’m outstandingly jealous of that experience. It will have to stay a dream of mine for now.

I did not, we were not allowed to remove anything from the site.

In your alphabet, can I ask why the e o and v are in [ ]

I’d assumed it was due to the way the person broke down the 600~ symbols in cuneiform to base letters, but I’ve looked a little more and can’t find any sources of how they did it. So I’m not sure it’s legitimate. Cuneiform doesn’t actually have an alphabet. I actually just learned that in the past few minutes. I may continue using it though, I do sort of like it.

1 Like