Consuming alcohol to get into trance - The Vajrayana Tradition

So i was wondering if anyone here has tried using alcohol as a tool to help you get into trance? I’ve been looking online and there seems to be a tradition among some buddhists where they will drink during meditation, not to get drunk, but just enough to have a release of their egos. From the article:

Here’s the basic idea: once a meditator has developed basic Buddhist discipline (known as Hinayana training) and adopted the intention to dedicate his or her life to benefit others (the Mahayana view) the practitioner is ready to incorporate Vajrayana teachings, in which the simple prohibitions outlined in traditional Buddhist sutras are re-evaluated. When a meditator reaches this point, which usually takes a number of years, a dangerous substance like alcohol is viewed—within a context of strong discipline and clear intention—not as a conventional escape, but instead as a tool for loosening the subtle clinging of ego.

“Imagine you are enjoying a picnic in a beautiful spot with your lover,” McKeever told me. “You want for nothing in this situation.” If you choose to drink at this moment, theoretically, you have no reason to overdo it. You’ll drink just enough to relax, to appreciate your situation and, as McKeever puts it, “to help your ego go to sleep.”

Here is the article which goes into detail, but i was just wondering what other peoples experiences were using alcohol to get into trance, communicate with entities, and getting the results you wanted

@serpens_album im curious on your views on this too

4 Likes

Hangovers can work for this, better than the stuff itself I found in my drinking days, and at least one other member on here mentioned the same.

8 Likes

It’s won of my favorite go tos. I use it with weed and then I’m in God mode. Beer helps me tune into the water element. I have better dispassioned access to thee emotional currents around me. It allows me to embody an emotion and express it to its fullest without inhibition. I’m not talking stupid drunk either, it’s on the border to where I can maintain all of my dexterity and coordination. My facial expressions and body language holds a lot more sway over people, thus giving me a stronger charm with social interaction. It gets me into warrior mode, I can tap into some serious aggression and I can really summon a massive amount of chi which I sink into my lower chakras to do community-body work with. My grasp over strands of energy is a lot stronger.

5 Likes

I also use it to tap into and embody the leprechaun which I’ve brought back to life who came here from overseaz.

1 Like

Can confirm! (i mentioned it! :blush:)
But as far as drinking/being drunk in ritual, so long as I’m not sloppy drunk, it helps me get in touch with my emotions…

I have some brain-weird diagnoses, and while the doctors haven’t exhausted the list of tests at their disposal, I suspect I have some kind of alexithymia, making it hard to really put emotion into ritual…

That is, unless I’ve been drinking, then the flood gates open and I will be bursting with emotion from every orifice

Haven’t found that any amount of being buzzed on booze helps get into trance though… (A good sativa is another thing entirely, however) But getting tranced out is a skill easily developed through meditation, so why rely on booze for that when it’s entirely unnecessary? Sounds to me like those Buddhists were just rationalizing an attachment :wink:

4 Likes

I’ve used this with certain rituals with success, black magick of ahriman also had one relating to the creation of a spirit fetish for aeshma that involves dark liquor.

2 Likes

It’s doable, but unless you’re a Buddhist monk or equally skilled meditator it’s hard to hit that fine line of just enough intoxication to lower one’s inhibitions yet not so much that you keep drinking and regress into a depressive stupor. And like @anon27714670 said, you can achieve the same state during meditation & without the potential drawbacks of ensuing hangovers, negative health effects, addiction, and reliance upon the substance as a crutch.

Likewise, I’ve mentioned before on here that hangovers seem to be more effective than the actual intoxicated state at weakening the veil between worlds and inducing a trance-like state. When I used to drink to excess I’d often notice the floor tiles start to warp and wave during the morning after payment for last night’s fun. Unfortunately, the dysphoria concomitant with this mental state means that it’s not very pleasurable or useful for magickal purposes, IMO. :face_vomiting:

Alcohol is mostly good for teaching you your limits, and can be exceedingly helpful in showing you what you’re like without societally trained inhibitions. Once this state has been experienced, though, I advise working on attaining it without resorting to a chemical catalyst. As Alan Watts said, “once you get the message, hang up the phone.”

It also manages to teach humility, which is probably one of the most valuable lessons I learned from this entheogen:

8 Likes

Wow what an interesting quote :joy:

1 Like

Will not be using the restroom after you.

5 Likes

It’s called the porcelain throne, not the porcelain altar :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

Just make sure you courtesy flush. Don’t need you leaving more skid marks than a three car pile up.

1 Like

I use alcohol sometimes to induce trance. I drink a glass or two of wine or a couple bottles of beer. Any more than that and it will hinder you. Being buzzed is beneficial. Being drunk is not.

3 Likes

right right. i was thinking id go with a couple vodka shots and see if it makes it easier

1 Like

I’ve had less luck with liquor and I’m a whiskey guy myself. I once evoked Azazel while drinking Crown Royal and he pretty much made fun of my drunkenness. Generally when I’ve tried to do magick while on liquor I haven’t been able to focus intensely enough.

2 Likes

I mean, I Evoke almost daily no matter what I’m doing, so naturally from time to time I come home late from a social event and I’m wasted, and like a true Sorcerer I go into my sacred space and carry on with whatever ritual I had planned. A man’s gotta try right? :laughing: So I’ve got experience with doing magick in all kinds of states of inebriation :beers:

3 Likes

haha, fair enough. :slight_smile: Are you sure though that your lesser success with liquor isnt because you’re consuming too much of it? Some of that stuff has like 40% alcohol

Liquor affects me differently than wine or beer. It gives me a brain fog. You may not have that problem at all.

1 Like

A moderate amount of alcohol can help release inhibitions and can help relax for meditation. Copious amounts of alcohol are useful for even deeper trance and divination. It can be used for evocation unless you’re completely shitfaced. In that case, your concentration is going to be all over the place. You have to discover for yourself where the sweet spot is.

3 Likes

Im actually not a big drinker anymore and when I was I did not practice. Sorry i cant be much help on this.

1 Like

@Faustus do you have any personal experience? im planning on using it in order to help get into a deep enough trance for me to see a physical manifestation (ive never had the pleasure to see a spirit).

@serpens_album no biggy. was just curious if you thought it would work to help get someone (beginners especially) out of their head and more relaxed

1 Like