Constructing v. Buying Magickal Tools

I am working through Modern Magick by Donald Michael Kraig, great book by the way, and have hit the point where he’s giving steps for how to construct different tools like the pentagram. Is it worth constructing it? Is there any benefit over say, just buying one from a store? Thoughts? (also where would you recommend buying one if there’s an online store I can be linked to)

I think if my mom hasn’t caught on that something is up, she will once I bust out my 6 inch shallow wooden bowl and begin to sand and paint it LOL

1 Like

In the Necromantic course of @C.Kendall, He speaks about the creation of the Devil’s Mask. He said that the practitioner could also buy a mask. But when the practitioner makes one him self, it would be more powerful. Probably because you infusing your own energy into it by making one. @C.Kendall is quit a mage so he knows what he is talking about.

3 Likes

Oh fantastic book! fantastic what you’re doing! I prefer to make my ceremonial tools too. Nothing like using a wand you made yourself. When I direct a spirit to manifest in the triangle it knows I mean business. Big ups man keep it up.

Yes btw there is a big benefit to doing it yourself. All of your energy and will is infused in the object.

Here’s my wand. The tip is fire agate. LOVE it! I pulled this bamboo shoot out the earth, cut it, sanded it down, painted it, attached the crystal. Voila! :tophat::gloves:

3 Likes

Construct if you are able to my friend but none of those materials are essential for magick, don’t forget that!

But you can construct and it doesn’t need to be all shiny at all, for a wand, just go out to a forest and pick a branch just like Koetting did in his O.A.A curriculum. Then shape it if you want however you like. To give an example.

2 Likes

Yes @anon84423462 is correct no tool is essential for magick except YOU! Still have fun with your tools.

2 Likes

It really is, I’ve had a growing collection of books I’ve bought and read through over the years but this is the first one I’ve really buckled down into and begun a formal, or any, practice with because of the base it provides to work off of. I didn’t know books like that even existed. Ah! Thank you!!

It seems I need to run to the hardware store for some sandpaper and will have QUITE the summer project(s?)!

1 Like

Awesome! Yeah that is a great book and does provide alot a good base of hands on stuff work through. I wish you great success.

1 Like

I took to making whatever I can but I also have bought and keep on standby. It depends on what I am doing and how deeply connected I want to go.

2 Likes

New question: does anyone know where to buy 6 inch diameter wooden bowl where the inside is perfectly rounded?

I’m confident in my artistic skills but not my bowl craftsmanship XD

2 Likes

Sometimes I find stuff on etsy, amazon, or I go to the local metaphysical shop. I used to be able to get out in my woods and get what I needed but we now have a pack of coyotes coming to close not gonna chance it.

2 Likes

Thank you! I’ll do some snooping on Etsy, amazon sadly had nothing

2 Likes

“There are many cherished methods that involve building complex mirrors, drawing letter-strewn circles nine-feet wide, and arming yourself with an array of daggers, wands, and hefty wooden triangles…It is hardly daring of me to pronounce that such claims are utterly false. The demons don’t care about the paraphernalia, and neither should you.”

-Gordon Winterfeld Demons of Magick

Oh, and this is my favorite!
“Some occultists like robes, but I feel like a dick when I see myself in the mirror wearing a robe.”

-Corwin Hargrove from Magickal Influence

Of course, whatever YOU need to get your head in that “magical” state…

Maybe one a Dem wooden salad bowls?

Walmarts got those.

You may check pier 1 or any other place that has elaborate plates and whatnot.

2 Likes