Connections Between Lucifer and Hel (god)?

So I always thought it odd that when people mention the names of angels, they’re Hebrew, but Lucifer, a fallen angel, is a Latin name. Hebrew is a far older language than Latin. Considering that most angel and demon names are Hebrew in origin, it would make sense that he would follow the same pattern, right?

So I did some digging and found that the name “Lucifer” is actually a mistranslation of his Hebrew name “Helel ben Shachar” (הֵילֵל בֶּן-שָׁחַר/shining one, son of the morning) or simply “Helel” (הֵילֵל).

Then I remembered that Hel is the Norse goddess of the dead. And some of Christian lore was changed to reflect Norse mythology so they could make it more appealing to pagan converts; for instance, the name for Hell actually comes from the goddess herself.

I personally haven’t worked with Lucifer or Hel yet, but for those of you who have: do you happen to know if they both have a connection to each other in anyway? Is one an alternate form of another? Are they close friends? Or is it just a coincidence that their names are similar?

3 Likes

They are not the same though I never have worked with Hel yet. She meant to be the goddess of afterlife, helheim. In the antiquities; they have coexisted and worshipped as two seperate God ad Goddess (by different societies)

By the way Helel and Lucifer are not the same, in the Jewish religious tradition,Helel is translated in Christianity with Lucifer and is based on an allegory of a setting morning star (Venus) has nothing to do with the Christian fallen angel Lucifer, but refers to the downfall of the Babylonian Empire and its king Nebuchadnezzar compared to the morning star outshone by the sun representing Israel. This means that the Babylonian Empire has gone down while the people of Israel are still shining, in spite of the power and cruelty Nebuchadnezzar had done to the people of Israel, like Babylonian exile. The idea that Lucifer is the fallen angel Satan, banished from heaven, revelation (12.9 ) refers to this doom history. That myth was later transferred to Satan.

In Judaism Hêlêl is not interpreted as Satan( Lucifer however generally is seen as Satan in Xtian tradition ; though it’s wrong IMO) , but Helel and Shahar were Babylonian Gods.

For me ; Lucifer and Hel, both they seem to be the victim of JCI, and the higher we are allowed to penetrate into our antiquities, the less hellish and more godlike will both appear.

3 Likes

Connections Between Lucifer and Hel (god)?

• as you mentioned, the hebrew name is Helel ben Shachar. NOT Hel.
    :wink:
    Hel is a sibyl, a name and part of several languages.
    Try reseurching Satam, (NOT Satan, but Satam), for yourself.
    You may find interesting new food for thought there. :wink:

Hell, German Hölle, is usually depicted as a place of fiery brimstone and sulphur, burning depth.
That, however is inacurate, as far as i’ve seen. The actual Hall of the Dead is Pitch black, well, at least it was when i traveled there last time. (which is a few weeks ago, and i never seen any light up fire there. :wink: )

true, the translation was incorrect.
However, i’d suggest investigating Asenath Masons work, regarding that.

Sincerely,

¥’B

2 Likes

That about sums up what I think so far.

4 Likes

Coincidence, yes maybe
One of the great cosmic laws, IMO, is that whatever we hold in our thought will come true in our experience. When we hold something, anything, in our thought, then somehow coincidence leads us in the direction that we’ve been wishing to lead ourselves.
So as for the similarities of names, if we prefer a more scientific approach, the answer may lie within etymology. The sound and impressions maybe (in our case Hel is underworld the world of the dead and the morning star may be well defined as another place/planet where the dead resides in ancient tribes; just an idea) , or maybe it was wanderers who led such coincidences. Even in the ancient times we had many travelers -more than we think- and surprisingly we had even traces of cocaine in Ancient Egypt even yet we deny the possibility of travel across oceans till middle ages ( An interesting topic if you want to know more about, here is the link. Dealing in the Past: How Did Ancient Egyptians Get Nicotine and Cocaine? | Ancient Origins).
So we have yet too many unknowns; but sure we will have a good and evidence based answer one day about the similarity of those names.
But if we let science apart for a moment and use our senses, we may even think that Lucifer and Hel are the different faces of same entity. But for me such thought are fed by JCI so that people believe in the duality of universe; one god in one side and devil with many faces on the other aim to fool us, where Church may come to rescue.
For me there is no simple duality but a kind of multiverse and within it multi options and even there is some room for duality that duality is just a mere extension of oneness. (maybe one electron and two different states and nothing more; but that two states are not just good and evil but truly something beyond).
I love Lucifer and feel thankful for the Light that he brought into our lives. I do not know well Hel but sure She deserves respect and probably her story yet would lead us to truths about Hell and its echoes within ourselves.
The world offers too many interesting things at once. Truly incredible and hard to digest sometimes, and thinking about them is always good to open new doors either within Aether or our mind. So better to free our thoughts, and via the coincidence let them to lead us in the direction that we’ve been wishing to lead ourselves; a better one.

1 Like

I see.

Thank you for the replies!

2 Likes

They are both spirits. That’s about where the similarities end.

2 Likes

And they’re aspects of source.

Like I said, coincidence.

2 Likes

I posted this in another topic yesterday, information I found while writing an essay for my English class.
First, the name Lucifer is indeed Latin and did come from the Hebrew word for roughly “morning star”, I believe the word was Hellel. You can see this by looking at the Hebrew bible. In the book of Isaiah, where Lucifer is mentioned in the King James Version, it simply says morning star. No capitalization, no proper nouns. There is no Lucifer. The bible was translated from Hebrew into Greek by the Hellenistic Jews if memory serves correctly. They were influenced by Greek mythology (of Phosphos/phosphorus/Eos) regarding the deification of the morning star, which changed the original “morning star” to “Morning Star”. That’s where the proper noun comes from. Then translated into the King James Version and/or Latin, Morning Star becomes Lucifer, effectively changing lower case “l” into upper case “L”. The concept of the morning star being connected with a deity originates in ancient Rome, with their god the son of the dawn goddess, who’s name escapes me but they named Venus after.
Secondly, the link between Satan and Lucifer is not specified in any religious text. The “reaching close to heaven then falling from heaven” from the bible is actually comparing a fallen king to the planet Venus itself. As in, “ha look at you, you’re just like Venus you reach so high but don’t quite make it then you fall down”. Note Venus’ trajectory across the sky.
Lastly, the story of rebellion of Lucifer/Satan that is so famously known by most Christians and others does not come from the bible. It comes from a purely fictitious epic poem titled Paradise Lost, which was published in the late 1600s. I believe Dante’s Inferno took some inspiration from it as well. This poem is where the concept of Lucifer/Satan being the most beautiful angel, getting jealous of god, and leading a rebellion all stem from. The most that the Bible says about Satan is that he’s the devil, a deceiver, a serpent, a lion stalking for prey, and that he fell from heaven. It never actually mentions a “Lucifer”.

1 Like