Chakras and the elements

When I study chakras I see the elements are mentioned always. I focus a lot on sola plexus chakra as I do with the element of fire. I have noticed then that the correspondence to sola plexus chakra is fire. Does this mean when I chant RAM the chakra take energy from the element of fire. When it comes to will and motivation both sola plexus and fire is referred to. If I work with sola plexus do I have to work fire and vice versa? Can I work with them both like inhaling the fire element 7 times after working with RAM?

1 Like

No, you don’t have to.

The elemental attributions of the chakras are completely arbitrary. You can actually use any element for any chakra. Assigning the Persian elements to the chakras is kind of a Western New Age thing. In many traditions of yoga, they don’t even mention them at all.

1 Like

Can they be seen as 2 different methods for same goal?

Sure, you cold approach them in that way.

You could focus on the element behind the planet each chakra represents. I’ve heard D.H. Thorne say in a video, the order is (from root to crown): Saturn, Jupiter, Mars, Venus, Mercury, Moon, Sun.

Saturn would be Earth, Mars would be Fire, Mercury would be Air… Etc.

Mars is also connected to will and courage which is connected to fire and sola plexus chakra. What I cannot figure out if they are just different methods for same purpose or they are different. That I need to work with them all to gain a permanent will, courage and motivation.

Yes, the fire element and the energy of the chakra are different. One is an energy source, and one is simply an energy reservoir. You use Fire to help charge up and open the chakra, but the chakra doesn’t on its own produce Fire.

2 Likes

Does it not draw fire when it’s in balance since a balanced sola plexus chakra creates motivation and willpower? Or is it because of the sun?

No. Fire is simply used as a metaphor for the body’s metabolic process in relation to the physical location of the chakra. It’s important to understand what exactly a chakra is: a chakra is basically just a point on your energy body through which your biological energy flows. It does not need, nor require, external energy of any sort in order to function properly. What is generally done in the traditional practice of yoga, from which the concept of chakras originates, for example, is to use breathing exercises and muscle contractions to build up excess prana (the Sanskrit word for breath/lifeforce, equivilent to the Chinese word chi) and then channel it through the chakras in order to purify and balance them.

Like I previously said, the elemental attribution of Fire to the solar plexus chakra is completely arbitrary. You could put Water or Earth there if you wanted to and it wouldn’t matter.

So in my case it can be that I both have problems in imbalance of fire and sola plexus chakra. That balancing one of them will not balance the other.

Yes, a balancing of one will not necessarily affect the other.

So what would be best? To first invoke Fire and then practice RAM or do RAM first and then invoke Fire?

Invoke Fire first, then do the chakra work.

What is the reason you suggest that?

So you can use the elemental energy.

You mean the elemental energy is in my system my chakra will draw from it when I chant and become empowered even further?

No, not unless that is your intent.

My intention is to both balance Fire and sola plexus.