Canaanite religion and magic

Why doesn’t anyone talk about Canaanite magic? If you do the research, the vast majority of the Jewish Godnames were taken from the old gods of this religion (Most notably “El”) and so they must be powerful gods in their own right.

Does anyone have experience with the Canaanite gods? What are they like?

8 Likes

Baal is one.

3 Likes

Is not YHWH a second or third tier Canaanite god? You raise a very good point, though. Has anyone here ever tried evoking Asherah, specifically? I was musing over this not too long ago. Would an evocation of YHWH produce the same entity that is described in JCL teachings? I am willing to bet an evocation of Asherah would produce a different picture of what her husband is like, which could lead to some real dogma shattering concepts and revelations.

5 Likes

Eloh Araphel, father of Elyon and Lord of the Darkness. There are several Baal’s as well, perhaps hats Baal wears.

2 Likes

Moloch and El are gods of that region. Moloch is in Thaumiel (Satan the other polarizer, these two as opposed to day side Ehieh), and El is on day side (Gedulah or) Chesed, while Ereshkigal rules Gha’ahsheblah.

3 Likes

Pretty much falls into mesopotamian and nearby mythology. You pretty much start in Sumeria, Akkad, Babylon, Assyria, Elamites, Hitties, Cannaites, Chaldiean, ect… Out of Canann, i know Baal, Anat, & Ashera.

4 Likes

Ha! How about try half the demons of the goetia! That’s where you will find a whole bunch of the old gods. And yes Judaism is a mosh mash of ancient middle Easter religions so many of those god’s either became angels or demons depending on what those ancient Jews decided to do. The Jews actually are the slaves of Egypt taken from the various surrounding Mesopotamian areas and so the ancient Hebrew came from the collective merging of many cultures and traditions. This is why almost every biblical story has a middle eastern counterpart.

4 Likes

You know a book about these Canaanite deities?
I’m interested

1 Like

Keep in mind old research books about magic of any civilization by archaeologists/historians/theologists, they’re filled with large amounts of commentary, but occasiomally explain how the process of talking to specific deities works, and sometimes have fragments of incantations.

2 Likes

EA Budge is a famous author of such above.

1 Like

I have been thinking the same for the previous days, I see that I am not the only one. I have experience with Baal and Anat thanks to a book I acquired on magic from Ugarit called “Magick of Canaan: gods of war and conquest”