Cabinet Herbology

I’ve looked on this forum, and I don’t see many people discussing herbs or spices. Or, when they are mentioned in discussions, usually in reference to a spell, I read some weird ones like Patchouli and Dragon’s Blood. Now, I don’t have money or ways to get half of what’s required for most of these spells and oils, especially hoodoo ones. So I go digging for alternatives, stuff I can use that I have in my spice rack or pantry. I just thought I’d share some of the herbs and spices that can be substituted with you all, in case you also have this problem. Every spice or herb mentioned is edible, but be careful not to exceed required amount if you will be ingesting it.I also took the liberty in dividing the herbs into sections based on the element they are associated with to make life easier for you guys. Enjoy :slight_smile:

Air

Fennel (Seed)

• Planet Mercury
  • Gemini, Virgo
  • Male herb (ish?)
  • Protection against evil spirits or forces, curse prevention, simulate passion
  • It can also be used for health purposes when brewed and ingested

Mint Leaves (as far as I’m concerned, any mint works. Tip: tea bags y’all :wink: )

• Planet Venus
    -Taurus, Libra
  • Non-gender herb
  • Used to break hoodoo spells and jinxes,
  • Used to gain mental strength
    -Also used for relaxation and stomach aches when brewed.

Oregano

• Planet Venus
  • Taurus, Libra
  • Female Herb (mostly associated with Aphrodite actually)
  • Keeping law away, (and in laws)
  • Also used for health, tranquility, and protection of loved ones.

Sage (incense, dried herb)

• Jupiter, Mercury, Moon, Venus Planets
  • Virgo, Leo, Sagittarius
  • Male Herb
  • Reverse magic spells and gain wisdom and Discernment
  • Can be used as a substitute for Dill, Eucalyptus, Anis, and Caraway
  • This is a dominant Herb so it can be used a spiritual healing and clearing negative energy

Water

Cardamom (Seeds or Powder)

• Planet Venus
  • Taurus, Libra
  • Feminine Herb
  • Associated with Lust, Passion, and Love

Hibiscus (Flower - usually dried)

• Planet Venus
  • Taurus, Libra
  • Feminine Herb
  • Lust inducing properties
  • Ancient Egyptian women were deemed forbidden from drinking Hibiscus because of how ‘horny’ it made them.

Rosemary (fresh or dried)

• Planet Venus
  • Taurus, Libra
  • Male Herb
  • Used for protection against evil
  • Also applied in spells for women to be dominant in the household
  • I’ve used it in love spells (with cinnamon) and it’s worked miracles

Roses (fresh, buds, dried, petals)

• Venus Planet (sometimes associated with Mercury)
  • Mostly all zodiac associations (depending on what spell you’re doing)
  • There’s controversy over whether it’s a Male or Female Herb
  • Mainly used in love spells
  • Bring good luck in love
  • Remove a love jinx
  • Bring loyalty, beauty, fertility (it usually depends on how you are using roses in your spell)

Thyme

• Venus Planet
  • No particular Zodiac
  • Female herb
  • Used to make money grow and stay
  • Promote good health and removes nightmares

Vanilla (beans, extract- but make sure it’s pure, perfume)

• Venus Planet
  • Sometimes associated with Air
  • Female Herb
  • Zodiac is controversial
  • Used in love, lust and passion spells
  • The scent and use of incense or perfumes is used to make an individual attracted or think of you

Fire

Cinnamon (Sticks, Flakes or Powder)

• Planet Sun
  • Male Herb
  • Leo
  • Attract Love (generally for quick results)
  • Can be used to speed up any spell (usually)

Chamomile (tip: Chamomile tea bags have dried flowers :wink: ) - Sometimes associated with water

• Planet Sun (sometimes Venus and Sometimes Mercury - depending on HOW you are using it)
  • Non-gender herb
  • Leo
  • Attract Love, used to dream of your lover and promote Lustful thoughts

Coriander (Seeds or powder)

• Planet Mars
  • Male Herb
  • Aries, Scorpio
  • Draw love towards you, Simulate passion and keep lover faithful
  • There are some associations with Water, but it depends on which spell you are using.

Jasmine (Flower, Incense. Tip: Jasmine tea bags have the flowers inside :wink: )

• Planet Moon
  • Also associated with Water r
  • Female Herb
  • Attraction of love
  • Used to relax the body and mind when brewed

Flaxseed

• Planet Mercury
  • Male Herb
  • Gemini, Virgo
  • Increase psychic abilities and mental powers

Nutmeg
-Planet Jupiter (sometimes associated with Mercury)

• Sagittarius, Pisces
  • Male Herb
  • Most powerful ingredient used in luck charm amulets and bags
  • Also used in money, loyalty and health

Red Pepper (whole or just seeds, also crushed)

• Sun Planet
  • Leo
  • Non-gender Herb
  • Used to make problems for someone
  • Sometimes used to ignite flames of passion (when applied a certain way)
  • There wasn’t much information on this one, but based on the information given (and the nature of this plant) I was able to deduct this much

Base for Oils (also known as carrier oils)
When making your own oils, you need to have a base ingredient. This is generally what you will be infusing your other magickal ingredients in. Some can be hard to find or expensive (sometimes not accessible (like Eucalyptus oil, Patchouli Oil, or other hard to name things). So here’s some that work as base oils. It’s best to look up the properties of this particular oil before using it though.

• Avocado Oil
  • Sesame Oil
  • Jojoba Oil
  • Grapeseed Oil
  • Sunflower Oil

Olive Oil (extra virgin is suggested as the strongest potency)

• This oil is a general one so if you don’t have access any fancy oils, this oil is used as a substitue carrier for basically anything.

If you are thinking of making your own oils, here’s a few things to keep in mind.

• Store it in a container of vile
  • Keep in a cool dark place, exposure to sun and UV rays can ruin the oil
  • ALWAYS LABEL YOUR OILS
  • ALWAYS RIGHT DOWN THE DATE YOU MADE THE OIL (to know the expiration date - it differs from oil to oil)
  • ALWAYS DO RESEARCH ON THE OIL YOU INTEND TO MAKE TO KNOW WHICH HERBS YOU SHOULD USE (substitutes) AND HOW IT CAN AFFECT YOUR SPELL.

Cabinet Herbology is literally using what you have to get your desired results. It helps to have the intentions clear in your mind while making your concoctions. The energy you put into your oils and philtres will strengthen its effects. I cannot stress enough how important it is to do your own research on spells and oils and herbs to best understand which ingredients to use in your spells. This list is just meant to be an easy reference for spice cabinet and garden herbs, not as a guide to what or how to use your spells. A good website all kinds of recipes is https://blackwitchcoven.com/black-magick-spell-grimore/recipes-for-oils-incense/carrier-oils/ but there are so many more, depending on which spell you are trying to accomplish.

Use your resources wisely and research your spells carefully before doing anything.

4 Likes

Great post. Thank you.

1 Like

Anytime!!

1 Like