Belial

Could Belial to be compared to the Xian Devil?

No. I don’t believe even the name of Belial is mentioned in Bible…and I don’t know of any devout Christian who even knows who he is…
All they know is Satan, Lucifer, The serpent etc etc

2 Likes

The term Belial is actually used pretty frequently in the Christian Bible (and many other Judeo-Christian texts):

[quote]The word occurs twenty-seven times in the Masoretic Text, in verses such as Proverbs 6:12, where the King James Version (KJV) translates the Hebrew phrase adam beli-yaal as “a naughty person”.[5]

In the Hebrew text the phrase is either “sons of Belial” or simply “sons of worthlessness”.[6][7] Phrases beginning with “sons of” are a common semitic idiom such as “sons of destruction”, “sons of lawlessness”.[8]

Of these 27 occurrences, the idiom “sons of Belial” (בְּנֵֽי־בְלִיַּעַל beni beliyaal) appears 15 times to indicate worthless people, including idolaters (Deuteronomy 13:13), the men of Gibeah (Judges 19:22, 20:13), the sons of Eli (1 Samuel 2:12), Nabal, and Shimei. In the KJV these occurrences are rendered with “Belial” capitalised:

"the sons of Eli were sons of Belial " (KJV)
In modern versions these are usually read as a phrase:

"the sons of Eli were worthless men " (1 Samuel 2:12, NRSV and NIV)
“the wicked men of the city” (Judges 19:22, NIV)
“Belial” is applied to ideas, words, and counsel,[9] to calamitous circumstances,[10] and most frequently, to worthless men of the lowest sort, such as men who would induce worship of other gods;[11] those of Benjamin who committed the sex crime at Gibeah;[12] the wicked sons of Eli;[13] insolent Nabal;[14] opposers of God’s anointed, David;[15] Rehoboam’s unsteady associates;[16] Jezebel’s conspirators against Naboth;[17] and men in general who stir up contention.[18] Indicating that the enemy power would no longer interfere with the carrying out of true worship by his people in their land, YHWH declared through his prophet: “No more will any worthless person pass again through you. In his entirety he will certainly be cut off.”[19]

In the New Testament the word occurs once, when Paul the Apostle asks:

“[W]hat concord hath Christ with Belial? or what part hath he that believeth with an infidel?” (2 Corinthians 6:15)
[/quote]

As far as comparing the actual entity to the Devil, that entirely depends on what you believe the Devil is.

4 Likes

@Vovin For me the word Devil refers to the convoluted egregore created by the Christian concept of a supreme evil. What is the Devil anyways? Satan? Lucifer? Not really. The standard Christian idea of the Devil has no real relation to either of these beings. It’s just a term for a supposed being of absolute evil really. As for whether he exists that’s for you to find out.

Oh, my bad. My knowledge of judeo-Christian texts is not much…
Anyways thx for the information.

1 Like

Wow, you must be new, how could you even come up with that?

No belial is unique in his own ways as is lucifer and azazel and bael they are all seperate

2 Likes