Bands like Watain, true black magickians, or occult fanboys?

I saw watain open for mayhem in a building that used to be an old church. They did some onstage ritual to banish god from the building forever, and then threw pigs blood from a chalice all over the crowd. Me included, was a fun show.

Ive always thought Triptykon had a uncompromising occult attitude

1 Like

And not black metal itself, but im convinced Attila Csihar (who performs vocals for bands like mayhem and others) is an occultist. If you look at his movements and the handsigns he uses onstage it becomes pretty clear IMO

Check out some of his solo vocal performances. Dude is a fucking beast

Just his voice is demonic, remember listening to Life eternal from de mysteriis dom sathanas as a young boy and it was something outwordly.

1 Like

Freezing moon almost always puts me in a trance after the drum fill, when the guitars pick back up

I know it’s a fine line between mimicing the occult for shock value and atmosphere, and actually being a practitioner, but listen to this song and tell me Attila isn’t fucking serious lol (not you in particular just people in general)

Esoteric warfare in particular is good because Attila wrote most if not all the lyrics for it. I like their new album too but miss his lyrics, most of them are written by the other musicians. Even the bassist wrote one lmao

MC Ride is 100% an occultist, just listen to the lyrics on some of his tracks. There is a quote from him in an interview where he straight up tells the person “I don’t care much about the material realm” or something like that

Sunn O))) shows his work better though.

1 Like

Erik is no choir boy, but he is not into the occult either. Great guy btw.

Hello everyone! Since I’m intrested in this topic, I would like to add my unsolicited opinion! Lol
If, in addition to musicality, you give a lot of importance to the lyrics, you can also find some cool stuff in Dimmu Borgir albums; they have a very strong Occult component, Luciferian in some cases, in my opinion.
The last 3 have a greater sentimental value for me, but even going back to songs like Sorgens Kammer - Del II, you can senses the message, rather than hearing only continuous repetitions of demonic names.

PS: some Behemoth songs also recall the arts very much, in Oh Father, Oh Satan, Oh Sun, if I remember correctly there is a part taken from a Crowley invocation, am I wrong?

In the case of Behemoth “Oh father, oh satan, oh sun” its the Bornless ritual.

Dimmu Borgir where imho more intressting with their first albums but they are Lavey satanists more then Luciferians. Sorgens kammer - Del II (wich was only added since the original version was a rip-off) is pretty explicit in this.

The chorus"I min ensomhet vet jeg likevel
At jeg ikke har noen andre å takke enn meg selv
Derfor er jeg rolig når
Repet strammer rundt min nakke"

translates to “In my lonliness I know
That I have no one to thank then myself
Therefore I am calm when
the rope tightens around my neck”

1 Like

ok, so it was that, thank you for clarifying! :slight_smile:

I can understand that, the first sounds were more authentic maybe; I do, however, like all the albums, but to be honest I resonate more with these last ones. Maybe because I grow up with them,or maybe there’s something within the lyrics, I have the tendency to give a specific meaning to every son I listen to, maybe I just more inclined to listen to them right now!

I had felt a connection with the Luciferian current exclusively for the messages that I interpreted on a personal level; it was a time when I was working with Lucifer, and some lyrics (especially for songs like The Serpentine Offering, Lucifer, Council of Wolves and Snakes …) resonated very well with what I was experiencing.

This. I always tend to repeat this chorus to myself whenever my thanks to a spirit become too “obsequious”; it’s almost a reminder that I ask myself: “it was ME; it helped of course, but it was me”

Thank you for your answer btw :smiley:

There is a personal meaning that you can give to songs that resonates in some ways that have nothing to do with the artists intentions.

The last full album I heard was Death Cult Armagedon, after that there wasn’t really anything intressting or new. I belive it was around the same time that the singer in an interwiev with a metal magazine was pretty much straight up about his belives.

This. I always tend to repeat this chorus to myself whenever my thanks to a spirit become too “obsequious”; it’s almost a reminder that I ask myself: “it was ME; it helped of course, but it was me”

But if you put it in combination with what he sings in the rest of the song seems to actully be about killing himself due to depression.

Idk but I really like the lyrics on “the light that burns the sun” and “serpents chalice” off of their album sworn to the dark.

Hate to break it to you, but the sheer fact that you’re using this website is strong evidence that you yourself, as is everybody on this thread and forum; are fanboys. Bless you all. Blessed Be.

Magickal Fanboys, Fangirls and Fanthems.

Nergal, the vocalist of behemoth, is a Thelemite, and has said that demons helped him overcome cancer

1 Like

I did not know this. Interesting, thank you very much! :smile:

Welcome @Darkotix :handshake: :slight_smile: it is a rule of this forum for all new members to properly introduce themselves, so please click the link below and tell us about yourself and any experience you may have in magick, such as what you practice, how long you have practiced, areas of interest, etc:

intro3

I’m a little late to the party, but as someone who’s blood runs 180% metal and found my tribe since I was 11 I couldn’t bear not reacting ^^

Yes Watain are for real, they are serious about both being musicians and their occult practice. I believe they share the same philosophy/ occult current that at least Selim from The Devil’s Blood and mr Nodtveidt from Dissection did (Watain’s bassist is ex-Dissection and I think I saw Set play guitar at a show a long while back).

You are right though. A lot of the more iconic bands like Emperor, Marduk, Gorgoroth, Dark Funeral, Mayhem, my personal hero Fenriz etc. might not actually practice (black) magick or at least not as hardcore. They are a lot more than fanboys though. They are metalheads and musicians first, but for a lot of those blackmetal musicians they are very serious about truly standing for the stuff you write about. Which is mostly centered around waging a war against christianity. Most of those musicians were pretty aggressive towards blackmetal bands that clearly used satanism as an edgelord tool back in the day. (most of them are old guys in their 40’s now, like me).

Despite the question if they actually do frequent rituals, I think when they fully stand for what the band’s theme’s are they pull from a similar current as I do in rituals through their music. I might be imagining it, but I have the feeling I can feel the difference in the energy they put out there during live shows. I can thoroughly enjoy a good band that is being edgy just as much as long as the music’s good, but I just don’t get that delicious teeth-clenching savage energy from them.
That might just be me. I’ve not been an occultist as long as I have been a metalhead.

The album Pandemonium by Killing Joke is heavily occult influenced.

Part of the album was recorded in the Kings Chamber at the Pyramid of Giza.

1 Like

Most black metal bands don’t actually dwell on black magick by any means other than aesthetics. Behemoth is not satanic at all. It’s all for the show.

But there are indeed real pracctioners in some other bands, such as Drowning the Light, Sargeist and Watain.

I wouldn’t say it’s completely for show. But then again if it is. They do inspire me to be more in touch with the adversarial side of things.
Also, a bit of a hot take in the metal scene, but I truly respect the way Nergal is a thorn in the side of the media in (predominately catholic) Poland.