Back to square one

I have been learning for a decade and have not made much progress because I never tried to learn the basics. Now I’m starting there and I don’t know where to begin. So I have a few beginner questions.

1. Do I start with developing energy Sensitivity or meditations?
  2. Do I start with basic meditations or do can I do path workings?
  3. Should I start with lighter magick or delve into lhp type stuff (like Asaneth Mason, D.H. Thorne, or S. Connelly). But starting from the beginning.
  4. When do I begin consecrating the altar and tools?
  5. How important are hymns and prayers?
  6. Do you have any alternative advice?

1: Meditation. Learn to relax your body and quiet your mind. This not only increases your sensitivity to energy, but it also allows you to maintain focus while in the altered state of ritual.

2: You can do visionary magick (I assume that is what you mean by pathworking) while also meditating. See point 1.

3: Start with the basics in whatever system you want to learn. Most systems of magick are built for the development of the necessary skills.

4: It depends on the system, but usually you don’t worry about consecrating tools until you have at least learned the basics of energy manipulation, and banishing.

5: Depends completely on the system one is using.

6: Learn a proper banishing ritual. It not only clears your space and sets up a boundary to prevent unwanted intruders, it also builds the primary skills necessary for magick, namely visualisation, energy manipulation, vibration of words of power, and taking on/accepting Divine authority.

3 Likes

I may suggest BALG courses which may really help for every begiinner for a solid foundation.

Initiation into Hermetics by Franz Bardon, Magickal Power for beginners by Deborah Lipp ( she explains basics ); Donald M. Kraig’s Modern magic , Paul Huson’s Mastering Witchcraft

These are good books that will help you. Along with meditation, grounding, centering and imagination exercises are all important too.

Good luck :slight_smile:

2 Likes