Babylonian and Persian influence on Ancient Judaism

On a previous post I said the following, “Satan … was an influence of the Babylonian captivity where the Jews encountered Zoroastrianism (Ahriman) and Babylonian mythology proper (Tiamat). I can show you how post-Babylon the Jews suddenly had an entity that actually opposed Yahweh, such an entity did not exist before the Babylonian captivity”

Lady Eva said, “Any chance of a new thread on that please? I’m really interested, and I don’t want to derail this thread.”

I am always happy to teach others, especially when it’s on common misconceptions. Now, without further ado, the creation of modern Judaism.

In 586 BC, The Babylonian Empire conquered the Kingdom of Judah; destroying their temple, carrying off their goods, and relocating a good portion of the people into Babylon. Later, in 539 BC, the Persian Empire conquered Babylon under the leadership of Achaemenid King Cyrus. In 538 BC, King Cyrus issued an edict allowing Jews to return to their homeland and rebuild their temple.

Many Jews, however, remained in Babylon-now Persia-and interacted with Zoroastrianism. It is here that the revelations to the prophet Zoroaster begin to cross pollinate the revelations of the prophet Moses.

Both Zoroastrianism and Judaism are revealed religions: in the one Ahuramazda imparts his revelation and pronounces his commandments to Zarathustra on “the Mountain of the Two Holy Communing Ones”; in the other Yhwh holds a similar communion with Moses on Sinai. The Magian laws of purification, moreover, more particularly those practised to remove pollution incurred through contact with dead or unclean matter, are given in the Avestan Vendïdād quite as elaborately as in the Levitical code. The two religions agree in certain respects with regard to their cosmological ideas. The six days of Creation in Genesis find a parallel in the six periods of Creation described in the Zoroastrian scriptures. Mankind, according to each religion, is descended from a single couple, and Mashya (man) and Mashyana are the Iranian Adam (man) and Eve. In the Bible a deluge destroys all people except a single righteous individual and his family; in the Avesta a winter depopulates the earth except in the Vara (“enclosure”) of the blessed Yima. In each case the earth is peopled anew with the best two of every kind, and is afterward divided into three realms. The three sons of Yima’s successor Thraetaona, named Erij (Avesta, “Airya”), Selm (Avesta, “Sairima”), and Tur (Avesta, “Tura”), are the inheritors in the Persian account; Shem, Ham, and Japheth, in the Semiticstory. Likenesses in minor matters, in certain details of ceremony and ritual, ideas of uncleanness, and the like, are to be noted, as well as parallels between Zoroaster and Moses as sacred lawgivers; and many more. The already present similarities caused a greater willingness of the Jewish people to listen to the Zoroastrian beliefs than they would other religions.

From the Encylopedia Americana, “First, the figure of Satan, originally a servant of God, appointed by Him as His prosecutor, came more and more to resemble Ahriman, the enemy of God. Secondly, the figure of the Messiah, originally a future King of Israel who would save his people from oppression, evolved, in Deutero-Isaiah for instance, into a universal Savior very similar to the Iranian Saoshyant. Other points of comparison between Iran and Israel include the doctrine of the millennia; the Last Judgment; the heavenly book in which human actions are inscribed; the Resurrection; the final transformation of the earth; paradise on earth or in heaven; and hell.”

There was no devil in Judaism, it’s a foreign concept. Judaism was originally a tribal religion, “Yahweh, the God of your father, the God of Abraham, the God of Isaac, and the God of Jacob, … this is my name forever…(Exodus 3:15)” God was not an omnipotent, omniscient, universal deity filled with good things. He was a warrior who protected Israel as their tribal diety, “Yahweh is a warrior, Yahweh is his name. (Exodus 15:3, sung after Pharoah’s army was sunk into the Red Sea)” It wasn’t until post-exillic texts that we see this. So, why would a spirit have to oppose Yahweh in rebellion when Yahweh was not the only god but one god among many?

Monotheism was another addition that Zoroastrianism brought to Judaism, The bible states that there are many gods: “You shall have no other gods before me. (Exodus 20:3)” The full monotheistic conception of God came later, after the exile (Isaiah 43:10-13, Jer 10:1-16). The second Isaiah juxtaposes the great Persian King Cyrus with the first monotheistic declarations in the Bible. The second Isaiah is the first expression of universalism which has no antecedent in the Bible, according to the Anchor Bible note at Isaiah 45. He also first introduces the idea of false gods - a fundamental and indispensable criteria for monotheism. It needed the subsequent missions of Nehemiah and Ezra backed by the Achaemenian Imperial Government’s authority to make the Jews ruefully conform to the new ideal of monotheism.

In 397 B.C. Ezra, a courtier of the Persian king, was sent from Babylon “to teach in Israel statutes and ordinances” (Ezra 7:10). Ezra had been born and educated as a divine reader in Babylon and was sent by Artaxerxes to see if the people of Judea “be agreeable to the law of God”. There are explicit indications of widespread religious conversion in Ezra 6:19-21 and Nehemiah 10:28-29, but why would Jews have to convert to Judaism? Nehemiah, chapter 8, discusses an event where Ezra read from the book of law which neither Hebrew speakers nor Aramaic speakers could understand - the words had to be translated by priests. What strange language could Ezra have been reading, Avestan maybe? Ezra’s major reform was the prohibition of foreign wives. Although marrying foreign wives had always been the most favored Jewish practice, such marriages violate Zoroastrian law (e.g. Denkard, Book 3, ch 80). It is clear that Zoroastrianism was being taught to the common Jews.

The Jews greatly resisted the imposition of Zoroastrianism charading as Judaism. The construction of the temple designed by the great Persian king Cyrus for the Jews was delayed by both political and physical means. “The true Israelis (Samaritans)” built their own temple on MT. Gerizim and wrote Jerusalem out of their Pentateuch. So, whatever the Persian governors and priests were doing in Jersusalem in the name of Judaism, it caused a great schism. The Sadducees, the ‘purists’, made up over 97% of the population and believed in “no resurrection, neither angel, nor spirit” (Acts 23:8) - in a word, no Persian ideas. The Pharisees or Persian faction - Pharisee, Parsee, Farsi - never numbered very high, not more than 6,000, although only Pharisaism survived the fall of Jerusalem in 70 A.D. St. Paul, of course, was a member of the Pharisee sect.

It was of course, during this time of increased syncretism that Zoroastrianism did stick some of it’s ideas into Judaism. One of these ideas was an opposing spirit to the monotheistic deity, Yahweh. In the same way that Ahriman opposed Ahura Mazda, so did an entity appear that opposed Yahweh.

There are a few places where the Bible retells stories, and from these places we can see theological evolution. In the earlier text 2 Samuel 24, this happens:

2 Samuel 24:1, 15: “Again the anger of the Lord was kindled against Israel, and he incited David against them, saying, “Go, count the people of Israel and Judah.” … So the Lord sent a pestilence on Israel from that morning until the appointed time; and seventy thousand of the people died, from Dan to Beer-sheba.”

Here, clearly, Yahweh was angry for some reason, tribal gods are sometimes just angry. He incites David into sin and then punishes Israel, 7000 people die.

1 Chronicles is a much later book, written long after the the exile, and it contains a retelling of the story.

1 Chronicles 21:1, 14: “Satan stood up against Israel, and incited David to count the people of Israel. … So the Lord sent a pestilence on Israel; and seventy thousand persons fell in Israel.”

This time, it’s Satan who opposes men and incites them into sin, instead of Yahweh. This occurance of Satan is unique in that in the Hebrew, this is the only time it appears without the defining article. Meaning instead of being, “the accuser” an angel in service to God who’s job is to accuse men of their weakness, it’s a proper noun. It’s actually an entity named Satan. This is the only time that is appears in this manner, and it’s no coincidence that this is in a post-exilic text.

In many of the intertestamental literature, the Jewish angelology, demonology, and view of the afterlife became much more Zoroastrian, and the position of Satan continued to grow, sometimes he was given another name, Samael. In the book of Jubilees he was to blame for the corruption of the earth itself, and the introduction of sin into humanity.

In summary, it is absolutely certain that Zoroastrianism influenced Judaism in a massive way. Without the influence of Zoroastrianism, Christianity wouldn’t be possible, as ideas such as a divine messiah, a worldwide judgement, and a resurrection to immortality just wouldn’t exist within the Abrahamic revelation. And, Satan wouldn’t exist without the influence of Ahriman and Zoroastrian monotheism. So, I view him as an extension of the entity known as Ahriman.

4 Likes

Im not saying tgis is false but the Quaran existed longer than the Bible i think. So if you take the Satan mythology seriously look at the story of the creation of man and the Djinn. Allah created man and expected the Djinn to bow to the human race. All did except Iblis. Therefore he was banished from Allahs realm and states he would only harm those who were loyal to Allah. I think the Romans used this story when they created Christianity and the aspects of Satan to control the people of the world. What the Romans did with Christianity has fucked the world up quite a bit resulting in massacres of entire races and priesthoods all for the vanity of their empire. It has endured as the worlds biggest control system to transcend centuries of study. Only know have we started to accept occultism in society. The Romans were brilliant as hell when they created that religion. That being said the empire of Rome may have fallen but they continued and still do rule the world to this day very day by way of Roman Catholic Christianity

No, that was written some 600 years after the events described in the New Testament, for example this is currently the Islamic year 1437 by their system of dating.

We don’t have an exact date (afaik) for the Old Testament & Torah, but they’re even older.

And ashtkerr, excellent post, thanks!! Lots to think about. :slight_smile:

This isn’t true, traditional scholars state that the different books of the Bible were written between the 14th Century BC and the 1st Century AD, but it was likely begun a lot later. Whereas the Qu’ran was begun traditionally at 610 AD when Jibril (Gabriel) appeared to Mohammed the first time till his death in 632 AD. The Qu’ran as we know it was compiled by the third Caliph, Uthman, a few decades later. About five centuries after the last epistle of the Bible was written.

Thanks Lady Eva! It was a lot to write, there was a lot that I ended up cutting from the final draft because it would’ve been too long. Even as it is, I think I’m pushing it.

Not at all!

I mean yeah I do long posts so I would say that, but some things don’t lend themselves to haiku-format, and this being a text-based medium… :slight_smile:

You know what you’re talking about and unless one intentionally avoids it, Christianity & Judaism ARE going to come up at some point in a western magician’s life, spirits often have opinions on this stuff as well, so a proper historical background is very useful.

For example, this has helped me contextualise why Ahriman, a spirit I appear to have no connection to whatsoever through my ancestors or any of the traditions that have appealed to me, made such an immediate and vibrant contact - something I did wonder about when it all started happening.

Zoroastrians are not major players now, in the world religion stakes, so the whole thing did puzzle me somewhat - but, given my beef with monotheism’s attempts to replace all spirits with one “God,” it makes a lot more sense.

1 Like

[quote=“Lady Eva, post:5, topic:7807”]You know what you’re talking about and unless one intentionally avoids it, Christianity & Judaism ARE going to come up at some point in a western magician’s life, spirits often have opinions on this stuff as well, so a proper historical background is very useful.

For example, this has helped me contextualise why Ahriman, a spirit I appear to have no connection to whatsoever through my ancestors or any of the traditions that have appealed to me, made such an immediate and vibrant contact - something I did wonder about when it all started happening.

Zoroastrians are not major players now, in the world religion stakes, so the whole thing did puzzle me somewhat - but, given my beef with monotheism’s attempts to replace all spirits with one “God,” it makes a lot more sense.[/quote]

Yes, I find it important for myself to know who influenced who throughout history, it’s always fascinating to learn neat things like this.

And, Zoroastrianism was a major would religion but had the grim reality of being in the same place as an infant Islam. Most Zoroastrians just converted to Islam because it’s safer to be Muslim in a Caliphate.

There are still some small pockets of Zoroastrianism throughout the world, but nothing like it used to be. Perhaps one day, Christianity will be equally as small.

Damn thats news to me haha thanks for the history lesson :slight_smile: i am not a scholar by any means just the way the Islamic pull on the world would make you think it has been around longer.

If you look at the Qur’an, in Surah 4:155-159, it says “they killed him [Jesus], not crucified him”. Muslims believe Jesus was a Prophet, not the son of God.

Sometimes I evoke the supreme daddy of them all, Yahweh, and according to him, the strict religious system of the Sumerian Annunaki alien cartel influenced him in formulating the rites of Judaism. He apparently considered the aliens special guests on earth and gave them more leeway towards their violent actions.

Ialdobaoth? Are you talking about the watchers?

Yaldabaoth is actually Lucifer. Yahweh is tetragrammaton, ancient of days, god the father, allah.

While it is great and does add in-depth knowledge into where we all come from from our Origins, as well putting into much better perspective of where one should take things… one learns to divorce ones self from certain things in order to attain an evolved order.

So we know that such and such a God came from such and such a Gods name. But some may also identify certain elements (karma) within a past god and a number of associated souls. So you can think of it like pruning the Tree of Existence… where instead of saying “Yaldabaoth is Lucifer” one would just simply say (This is Lucifer in a much truer and Greater evolved Light).

Edit to Add:

This would also include ultimately pruning Judeo-Christian idealogies and spiritual energies from the Essence of Lucifer.

FINALLY !! An Intellectual and Researched and Accurate explaination of the issue instead of the nornal [where the hell did that sh!t come from!? drivel]
Kinda shocked to have read it, truthfully the first time in 7 years I have heard anything come close to what i have yammered on. i would like to throw some of my salt and pepper in the dish, but- it is just as good without. Thanks

[quote=“ashtkerr, post:1, topic:7807”]On a previous post I said the following, “Satan … was an influence of the Babylonian captivity where the Jews encountered Zoroastrianism (Ahriman) and Babylonian mythology proper (Tiamat). I can show you how post-Babylon the Jews suddenly had an entity that actually opposed Yahweh, such an entity did not exist before the Babylonian captivity”

Lady Eva said, “Any chance of a new thread on that please? I’m really interested, and I don’t want to derail this thread.”

I am always happy to teach others, especially when it’s on common misconceptions. Now, without further ado, the creation of modern Judaism.

In 586 BC, The Babylonian Empire conquered the Kingdom of Judah; destroying their temple, carrying off their goods, and relocating a good portion of the people into Babylon. Later, in 539 BC, the Persian Empire conquered Babylon under the leadership of Achaemenid King Cyrus. In 538 BC, King Cyrus issued an edict allowing Jews to return to their homeland and rebuild their temple.

Many Jews, however, remained in Babylon-now Persia-and interacted with Zoroastrianism. It is here that the revelations to the prophet Zoroaster begin to cross pollinate the revelations of the prophet Moses.

Both Zoroastrianism and Judaism are revealed religions: in the one Ahuramazda imparts his revelation and pronounces his commandments to Zarathustra on “the Mountain of the Two Holy Communing Ones”; in the other Yhwh holds a similar communion with Moses on Sinai. The Magian laws of purification, moreover, more particularly those practised to remove pollution incurred through contact with dead or unclean matter, are given in the Avestan Vendïdād quite as elaborately as in the Levitical code. The two religions agree in certain respects with regard to their cosmological ideas. The six days of Creation in Genesis find a parallel in the six periods of Creation described in the Zoroastrian scriptures. Mankind, according to each religion, is descended from a single couple, and Mashya (man) and Mashyana are the Iranian Adam (man) and Eve. In the Bible a deluge destroys all people except a single righteous individual and his family; in the Avesta a winter depopulates the earth except in the Vara (“enclosure”) of the blessed Yima. In each case the earth is peopled anew with the best two of every kind, and is afterward divided into three realms. The three sons of Yima’s successor Thraetaona, named Erij (Avesta, “Airya”), Selm (Avesta, “Sairima”), and Tur (Avesta, “Tura”), are the inheritors in the Persian account; Shem, Ham, and Japheth, in the Semiticstory. Likenesses in minor matters, in certain details of ceremony and ritual, ideas of uncleanness, and the like, are to be noted, as well as parallels between Zoroaster and Moses as sacred lawgivers; and many more. The already present similarities caused a greater willingness of the Jewish people to listen to the Zoroastrian beliefs than they would other religions.

From the Encylopedia Americana, “First, the figure of Satan, originally a servant of God, appointed by Him as His prosecutor, came more and more to resemble Ahriman, the enemy of God. Secondly, the figure of the Messiah, originally a future King of Israel who would save his people from oppression, evolved, in Deutero-Isaiah for instance, into a universal Savior very similar to the Iranian Saoshyant. Other points of comparison between Iran and Israel include the doctrine of the millennia; the Last Judgment; the heavenly book in which human actions are inscribed; the Resurrection; the final transformation of the earth; paradise on earth or in heaven; and hell.”

There was no devil in Judaism, it’s a foreign concept. Judaism was originally a tribal religion, “Yahweh, the God of your father, the God of Abraham, the God of Isaac, and the God of Jacob, … this is my name forever…(Exodus 3:15)” God was not an omnipotent, omniscient, universal deity filled with good things. He was a warrior who protected Israel as their tribal diety, “Yahweh is a warrior, Yahweh is his name. (Exodus 15:3, sung after Pharoah’s army was sunk into the Red Sea)” It wasn’t until post-exillic texts that we see this. So, why would a spirit have to oppose Yahweh in rebellion when Yahweh was not the only god but one god among many?

Monotheism was another addition that Zoroastrianism brought to Judaism, The bible states that there are many gods: “You shall have no other gods before me. (Exodus 20:3)” The full monotheistic conception of God came later, after the exile (Isaiah 43:10-13, Jer 10:1-16). The second Isaiah juxtaposes the great Persian King Cyrus with the first monotheistic declarations in the Bible. The second Isaiah is the first expression of universalism which has no antecedent in the Bible, according to the Anchor Bible note at Isaiah 45. He also first introduces the idea of false gods - a fundamental and indispensable criteria for monotheism. It needed the subsequent missions of Nehemiah and Ezra backed by the Achaemenian Imperial Government’s authority to make the Jews ruefully conform to the new ideal of monotheism.

In 397 B.C. Ezra, a courtier of the Persian king, was sent from Babylon “to teach in Israel statutes and ordinances” (Ezra 7:10). Ezra had been born and educated as a divine reader in Babylon and was sent by Artaxerxes to see if the people of Judea “be agreeable to the law of God”. There are explicit indications of widespread religious conversion in Ezra 6:19-21 and Nehemiah 10:28-29, but why would Jews have to convert to Judaism? Nehemiah, chapter 8, discusses an event where Ezra read from the book of law which neither Hebrew speakers nor Aramaic speakers could understand - the words had to be translated by priests. What strange language could Ezra have been reading, Avestan maybe? Ezra’s major reform was the prohibition of foreign wives. Although marrying foreign wives had always been the most favored Jewish practice, such marriages violate Zoroastrian law (e.g. Denkard, Book 3, ch 80). It is clear that Zoroastrianism was being taught to the common Jews.

The Jews greatly resisted the imposition of Zoroastrianism charading as Judaism. The construction of the temple designed by the great Persian king Cyrus for the Jews was delayed by both political and physical means. “The true Israelis (Samaritans)” built their own temple on MT. Gerizim and wrote Jerusalem out of their Pentateuch. So, whatever the Persian governors and priests were doing in Jersusalem in the name of Judaism, it caused a great schism. The Sadducees, the ‘purists’, made up over 97% of the population and believed in “no resurrection, neither angel, nor spirit” (Acts 23:8) - in a word, no Persian ideas. The Pharisees or Persian faction - Pharisee, Parsee, Farsi - never numbered very high, not more than 6,000, although only Pharisaism survived the fall of Jerusalem in 70 A.D. St. Paul, of course, was a member of the Pharisee sect.

It was of course, during this time of increased syncretism that Zoroastrianism did stick some of it’s ideas into Judaism. One of these ideas was an opposing spirit to the monotheistic deity, Yahweh. In the same way that Ahriman opposed Ahura Mazda, so did an entity appear that opposed Yahweh.

There are a few places where the Bible retells stories, and from these places we can see theological evolution. In the earlier text 2 Samuel 24, this happens:

2 Samuel 24:1, 15: “Again the anger of the Lord was kindled against Israel, and he incited David against them, saying, “Go, count the people of Israel and Judah.” … So the Lord sent a pestilence on Israel from that morning until the appointed time; and seventy thousand of the people died, from Dan to Beer-sheba.”

Here, clearly, Yahweh was angry for some reason, tribal gods are sometimes just angry. He incites David into sin and then punishes Israel, 7000 people die.

1 Chronicles is a much later book, written long after the the exile, and it contains a retelling of the story.

1 Chronicles 21:1, 14: “Satan stood up against Israel, and incited David to count the people of Israel. … So the Lord sent a pestilence on Israel; and seventy thousand persons fell in Israel.”

This time, it’s Satan who opposes men and incites them into sin, instead of Yahweh. This occurance of Satan is unique in that in the Hebrew, this is the only time it appears without the defining article. Meaning instead of being, “the accuser” an angel in service to God who’s job is to accuse men of their weakness, it’s a proper noun. It’s actually an entity named Satan. This is the only time that is appears in this manner, and it’s no coincidence that this is in a post-exilic text.

In many of the intertestamental literature, the Jewish angelology, demonology, and view of the afterlife became much more Zoroastrian, and the position of Satan continued to grow, sometimes he was given another name, Samael. In the book of Jubilees he was to blame for the corruption of the earth itself, and the introduction of sin into humanity.

In summary, it is absolutely certain that Zoroastrianism influenced Judaism in a massive way. Without the influence of Zoroastrianism, Christianity wouldn’t be possible, as ideas such as a divine messiah, a worldwide judgement, and a resurrection to immortality just wouldn’t exist within the Abrahamic revelation. And, Satan wouldn’t exist without the influence of Ahriman and Zoroastrian monotheism. So, I view him as an extension of the entity known as Ahriman.[/quote]

1 Like

this will sound rude, but man- glad i don’t pay you for thinking, sinceany rudimentary research erases that jumble of letters-- worthy of negating everything else which followed. wow, this Illustrates onje of my my gripes about so mcu of the “Neo_Occult” would be ‘learning’ swirling around where unlearned eye can catch it and then begin to build their own pseudiparadigm of delusion and self deception.i hate what i just wrote!

FDM

1 Like

We’re all here to learn Frater! People walk away from this forum with one bit more knowledge than they had before, that’s a win for all concerned IMO. :slight_smile:

Only the closed mind is never able to pick up more information, and maybe adjust some views accordingly.

1 Like

Yaldabaoth is actually Lucifer. Yahweh is tetragrammaton, ancient of days, god the father, allah.[/quote]
Did you read they Hypostasis of the Archons?

10 out of 10 for you Ashtkerr! :smiley:
I learned more in the last five minutes than I’ve learned all week.
I’ve always enjoyed learning about the twists and turns of history that get us to where we are today.

2 Likes