Atlas Shrugged: An Occult Guide

Perhaps Ayn Rand’s Objectivism is a form of occult thought. I cite a few quotes from the main character in her book “Atlas Shrugged”.

Perhaps “John Galt” would make an inspiring egregore.

“This, in every hour and every issue, is your basic moral choice: thinking or non-thinking, existence or non-existence, A or non-A, entity or zero.”
― Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged

“Do not let the hero in your soul perish, in lonely frustration, for the life you deserved but never have been able to reach. Check your road and the nature of your battle. The world you desired can be won. It exists, it is real, it is possible, it is yours.”

Whatever the degree of your knowledge, these two—existence and consciousness—are axioms you cannot escape, these two are the irreducible primaries implied in any action you undertake, in any part of your knowledge and in its sum, from the first ray of light you perceive at the start of your life to the widest erudition you might acquire at its end.”

“Non-thinking is an act of annihilation, a wish to negate existence, an attempt to wipe out reality. But existence exists; reality is not to be wiped out, it will merely wipe out the wiper. By refusing to say ‘It is,’ you are refusing to say ‘I am.’ By suspending your judgment, you are negating your person. When a man declares: ‘Who am I to know?’- he is declaring: ‘Who am I to live?”

“That which you call your soul or spirit is your consciousness, and that which you call ‘free will’ is your mind’s freedom to think or not, the only will you have, your only freedom, the choice that controls all the choices you make and determines your life and your character.”

“No, you do not have to live as a man; it is an act of moral choice. But you cannot live as anything else—and the alternative is that state of living death which you now see within you and around you, the state of a thing unfit for existence, no longer human and less than animal, a thing that knows nothing but pain and drags itself through its span of years in the agony of unthinking self-destruction.”

“Thinking is man’s only basic virtue, from which all the others proceed. And his basic vice, the source of all his evils, is that nameless act which all of you practice, but struggle never to admit: the act of blanking out, the willful suspension of one’s consciousness, the refusal to think - not blindness, but the refusal to see; not ignorance, but the refusal to know. It is the act of unfocusing your mind and inducing an inner fog to escape the responsibility of judgment - on the unstated premise that a thing will not exist if only you refuse to identify it, that A will not be A so long as you do not pronounce the verdict ‘It is.”

Maybe Ayn Rand was an occultist.

Who is John Galt?

4 Likes

you should read Illuminatus Trilogy

To be fair, a lot of media contains ideas and messages similar to occult thought, but that doesn’t mean the people who made them are occultists themselves.

2 Likes

Magick…

2 Likes

Is John Galt a type of egregore? Maybe.

Or the truth could be this simple:

We are all John Galt.

3 Likes

Oh wow. I know i am so late to this thread but i stumbled upon this and the nerd in me could not resist! Before i became aware of magick, i was a ferocious reader. I came across Ayn Rand when i was in my early teens. Have you read her other works? Such as Anthem?

You ended your post with a question of whether or not she was into occult. Such an interesting idea and frankly, that would be such an interesting tid bit. Yet i feel that the answer is no. I think, perhaps, she may come across as such because her philosophy shares such a deeply profound belief that is shared with occult. The belief of “I am” as well as freedom. Im new to the magick but they seem to this core ideologies. Rand’s work is so very well thought out and she wrote with such conviction. Her words cut straight to the point and down to the soul, always stressing that the spirit of a person should be top priority.

3 Likes

The sign I was looking for about the path I’m on again.

1 Like

We are all not John Galt, John Galt is a Jesus figure for objectivism, the one who gives a 50 page lecture, that goes on and on.

1 Like

Hey thats great that you found what you were looking for! Awesome!

Although, i did enjoy Galt’s speech but i agree. It was VERY long. It took me a few sittings to get through those pages. It could have been shorter. Haha!

1 Like

John Galt is Objectivst Jesus