Are the complete set of Gordon Winterfields books on the Occult worth purchasing?

I have recently been told of this Author and his stuff looks good. I have founds multiple books of his for sale in a bulk sale and wondered if they are a valuable asset to my learning and your opinion would mean a lot to me. Thank you

6 Likes

Yes, I have all of his books. They’re great for beginners to start out with, and will still be of use for when a magician is no longer a beginner. Only thing I’d say is, in his Demons of Magick book, disregard his opinions about how the Goetia should be treated regarding rewards, etc.

4 Likes

What does he say regarding rewards? just interested

Basically, they’re servants and that you should offer them a glimpse IF you decide to offer them a reward for the result you want, to keep them lusting for it, to ensure they get the job done. I found it disrespectful. I don’t follow his recommendation - I ask them what they would like for an OFFERING, and they tell me. If it’s something I can easily offer, I agree. If it’s something I cannot easily offer, I tell them so and we come up with something workable. In all the times I’ve summoned a Goetic spirit, I’ve only had to decline a demand once, and it turned out fine. They are wonderful spirits and they need to be respected. They are assistants in my eyes, and are wise, knowledgeable, and powerful. Not servants who should be treated like dogs. :wink:

But his Demons of Magick book contains useful info about the spirits, including their evocation keys. If you’re afraid to summon them without angels, then his rituals are easy to perform. They aren’t demons either imo. I’m not sure what they are, but I’m positive they aren’t demons.

3 Likes

I would never even think of treating any spirit like a servant! I evoke without a circle and treat them like honoured guests and never dismiss and always burn incense and give a well researched offering and often blood.
In regards to offerings, the things most wanted are cream cakes, whisky, wine and coffee with lots of sugar in. Or a tribute such as art or a plaque of a sigil etc.
Thanks for this

3 Likes

Cool. :slight_smile:

I found with these spirits, their requests are pretty simple. Shower/bath, cup of tea, smokes, brushing teeth, incense, etc are what’s often asked for.

1 Like

My favourite request was a full victoria sponge cake,it killed me keeping it in the fridge all day and not being able to touch it. I think that is what that spirit was testing :slight_smile:

4 Likes

:laughing:

Tbh I think the spirit just wanted to have his cake and eat it! :slight_smile:

1 Like

:joy: yes probably

Hello, I would highly recommend his books as well. I have used each of them to great success, and even if you prefer some other methods, I think that he does an excellent job explaining how to approach attack magick.

As for his book on Goetia, I would like to clarify some points brought up here. The analogy of these demons being “servants” or “employees” is used to clearly demonstrate that you are in charge, not the demon. If you look at the rest of the Gallery’s books, you will see that most of them are focused around angelic magick, and for individuals new to working with demons who come from that background, such a perspective is, I would argue, essential.

If you read the text in detail, it becomes clear that Winterfield does not suggest treating these majestic, glorious beings like slaves. Rather, they are likened to the loyal councilors of a mighty ruler, that being you. The best rulers treat their advisors with the utmost respect and trust, while still remaining aware that they are the one who sits the grandest throne.

You are certainly free to approach offerings in whatever fashion suits your fancy, but the approach described in the book works, without offending the demons. I grant the demon the opportunity to experience this material world through my body, after the job is complete. This experience is not possession, but to a degree they do “take over” some during the offering. I am still in control, but I allow the demon to feast on the pleasures of this world. The simplest of apples provides them with great satisfaction, when they are given the chance to partake. I know this, because I feel every ounce of pleasure that they do in the moment.

If you prefer to give in to every demand that the demon makes of you and to bleed yourself dry at their behest, that is certainly an option, though not one that I would recommend. Just because you show the demons respect, does not mean that they show the same to you. Approach them fearfully and with supplication, and these mighty Kings and Dukes will treat you like any of their other servants, spiritual or human. Approach them as an Emperor, one who commands respect, rather than begging or pleading for it, and the demons will see you as a fellow ruler of immense dignity and grace.

I do not speak like this because I enjoy it, but because that is how the demons inspire me to write about them. They want to show you that you are indeed God of your own world, and such a being does not bow before a mere King.

I would also suggest casting a circle of some sort, not to subjugate the demon, but to empower yourself so that the demon is better able to sense your presence, and better able to help you channel your power. Koetting made a recent video concerning this topic, if you are interested.

12 Likes

Thank you.
I have done weekly evocations of my 2 Closest ‘Demons’ for a long time and I have a healthy respect and also a mutual ‘trust’ for lack of a better word.
I have worked with Lucifer also for 2 years now and I am looking to learn more from literatures I have not read yet. I enjoy new opinions.
I have no idea yet as to the content of the books, but I have ordered them so we shall see :slight_smile:

1 Like

I agree with you on most points, but I want to clarify what I meant in my earlier post. Gordon certainly does suggest they’re like servants, albeit respected ones, which is where I personally felt it was disrespectful. He uses analogies that I found distasteful and disrespectful. Like I said, I view them as assistants. They owe me nothing - yet they’re always willing to help me out. I know it’s because they love to use their power, and that’s fine, but I see no reason to use that as leverage to compel them. They don’t need to be compelled in this way. Simply making a statement of what you desire is enough ime. If there’s an issue, they’ll let you know.

Taken from DoM:

[sic] This is partly for practical reasons (you don’t want to bring offerings into your ritual process and cause undue complication), and partly because it gives the demon a taste of the offering without giving it satisfaction. This is enough to make the demon eager to work with you and for you, without great effort or sacrifice on your part.

[sic] You provide only a whiff of what you can offer, and you do not make it conditional in any way. You may find yourself tempted to say, ‘Do as I command, and you will get such pleasures in the real world,’ but please remember the earlier instruction. A trained dog will become motionless in the presence of the treat it desires most. Its obedience is absolute when temptation is greatest. The demon is similar. You only need to dangle the reward in front of it, with no formal instruction about what it should do, and it will see you as a commanding master who can provide great satisfaction. This is the power balance you want. You are not serving the demon; it is serving you.

Winterfield, Gordon. Demons of Magick: Three Practical Rituals for Working with The 72 Demons

But you’re correct, in the rest of the book he certainly makes it clear you are in charge, and not in any way beholden to the spirit. I’m fine with that, and it marries with what I’ve been taught by spirits themselves.

There was another metaphor that was put forward by a student, which I relate to, and is another reason why I refuse to treat them in the manner suggested when it comes to offerings:

The method I suggest for making an offering is twofold. When you begin your work with the demon, you make some small offering upfront, and then you reward the demon handsomely when the work is done. When I explained this process to a young student of magick, I was told that it made her feel like a heroin dealer giving a free sample. She felt that in making a small offering she was tempting the demon to work for her, so that it would be hungry for more. I am afraid I could not argue with her metaphor, although I do not feel it is so much a case of getting the demon hooked on your offerings, as it is about showing the demon that you are genuine and generous.

Winterfield, Gordon. Demons of Magick: Three Practical Rituals for Working with The 72 Demons

2 Likes

Hmm, I’m not too sure that we actually disagree then, just using different language, as I would agree that “assistant” is a good term to use. His language can err on the side of implied subjugation at times, but I think that is mostly because many of the Gallery’s readers only have experience working with angels, and approaching demons like angels isn’t really a good idea. I learnt my lesson on that one, so I can understand why he emphasizes these things.

As for the student’s metaphor, I also agree that it’s not the best analogy to make. The way I see it, it’s not that the demon is compelled by your offering, as gratitude is often “payment” enough, and the demon will still listen to you regardless of offering if you make your request with authority. Instead, it’s more of a way of showing that you are a generous gift-giver, that you do not forget those who assist you.

The one point laid out in the book that I personally do not find necessary is when he talks about asking the demons what they favor as offerings. He suggests not giving them what they requested the first time, to show that you are still in charge, but I don’t think that’s really necessary if you’ve been following the rest of the guidelines set out in the book.

Interesting conversation friend, thanks for your thoughts :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Thank you. I know demons know everything pretty much about our intentions, thoughts etc and I can’t think a Demon would really like a little squishy human playing a power game with a few biscuits or wine and withholding until next time. If that were me, I would take the offering and do nothing or worse.

I understand boundaries and have them,but just my personal thoughts on this past of the book as above.

I know some people offer nothing and get results as the spirit likes them

Thanks and appreciate your time everyone

4 Likes