Anyone here recognize this cross?

I have a strong impulse to craft this cross, but I am curious about its origins.
It is not the classical halo cross because the halo of this cross is not centered on the middle, but I get the feeling I’ve seen its design elsewhere before.

I also get the feeling this cross does not symbolize Jesus Christ crucifixion, but rather a Man ornate with a halo, a symbol of mankinds divine potential.

I’ve played with this idea a while and consider adopting this cross as a signature of my personal religion.

Regardless, ever seen anything like it out in the world?

1 Like

I have never seen a circle that high on a cross, however it is similar to the Celtic Cross which is similar, the circle centers the four bars of the cross and is a little lower.

The four bars of the cross in the circle represent north, south, east and west. The individual elements of Air, Fire, Water and Earth are each represented by a cross in a circle. The air symbol represents life. The fire symbol represents warmth and light etc.

2 Likes

Got the Celtic Cross when I googled “cross with halo”, but I don’t think that it is it, because the circle is meant to be high up, as if factoring in a head on the upper part of the torso.

1 Like

Interesting piece, I also tried to track it with no luck. Since it is unique you might make it your own design with similar symbolism.

1 Like

Will do that, will try craft one in the week and show it off here.
I know, making and showing a cross here will likely make half the users hiss. :smiley:

1 Like

Your cross isn’t really a Christian symbol, it has its roots in ancient pagan beliefs at the same time with the 4 quarters earth, wind, fire etc.

1 Like

I think it is closer to a Gnostic cross than a Celtic cross, though the cross bar is too far down. It could possibly be a regional variant.

1 Like

I think I will settle on this design.
It feels the most right.

Like a modern ankh

1 Like

I want it done so bad, I will likely make it tomorrow…hopefully.
Several symbols in place to turn that cross into a cross I can wear that actually fits my lifestyle.