Anxiety/depression meds and magick

Two weeks no booze. Anxiety and depression is 60% better. But I’m thinking about getting back on Abilify. Will this hurt my magick?

It depends on the strength of the medication. If you’ve been off it for a while you will have to get used to it again, as well as any side effects. I’m currently on an antidepressant and it does not effect my magick at all. It simply helps me maintain an emotional equilibrium, but it is also not the most potent medication.

What’s your reason if you’re feeling better? Prying question, ignore it if you want. :slight_smile:

I do not believe in taking meds for depression or anxiety I have always seen it as something that can be controlled with meditation, will and understanding yourself. I’m not saying don’t take your meds this is my outlook. Maybe meditate on why you have these emotions, find the core of your problem.

Lady Eva- Both are still pretty high. Element-I’m a very reflective person. So I’ve isolated things down to these three things: 1) I do not have a well paying enjoyable job. Don’t get me wrong, it could be (and has been) far worse in that area. But it’s also been far better. 2) I want a nice, long term girlfriend. And this is not easy to pull off. I’m a pretty good looking guy. Funny and intelligent. But being an aspiring black magician does limit my options enough, I’m also an aspiring survivalist with Libertarian, near anarchist views on government. And I’m looking for a girl that is very pretty with some Christian values (e.g., doesn’t cheat on me or want an open relationship, doesn’t get upset as I gain more sexual experience with her). 3) having to always hide my magick to my family and even best friends. This last one is fairly minor compared to the first 2.

I understand we all have obstacles in are life. I would not take a med for it but meditate and ritual to remove them. I’m sure a med like that would screw your works up where you can’t manifest your desire. if you believe you need it then take it, I’m not trying to be your doc or be responsible for your health my friend

I agree with element (and same disclaimers) - these are life situations causing emotional pain, not a mental health problem.

If you medicate the dissatisfaction they cause, you may lose the will to fix them - that powerful emotional fire in the belly that underlies the best magick.

Search the phrase “inspirational dissatisfaction” online, that was coined (afaik) by W. Cvlement Stone and describes the “I’m mad as hell and not going toi take this any more” that underlies every majhor change in someone’s life, including the life of nations and whole groups of people…

It’s not “sick” to feel unhappy when something in your life sucks, and I dispute that you need to medicate a natural reaction (again, not a doctor) in order to later deal with the causes.

[quote=“Lady Eva, post:8, topic:7512”]I agree with element (and same disclaimers) - these are life situations causing emotional pain, not a mental health problem.

If you medicate the dissatisfaction they cause, you may lose the will to fix them - that powerful emotional fire in the belly that underlies the best magick.

Search the phrase “inspirational dissatisfaction” online, that was coined (afaik) by W. Cvlement Stone and describes the “I’m mad as hell and not going toi take this any more” that underlies every majhor change in someone’s life, including the life of nations and whole groups of people…

It’s not “sick” to feel unhappy when something in your life sucks, and I dispute that you need to medicate a natural reaction (again, not a doctor) in order to later deal with the causes.[/quote]

You bring up a very good point when distinguishing between pain caused by life situations and those actually caused more by mental neurosis itself.

I do want to add that psych meds could also make it easier for one to function and improve their life condition rather than just numb them out and take away their incentive to do so.

Yeah, maybe - depends on the side effects, and how they affect your nascent psychic ability? Maybe I’m seeing you through my own lens, but it seems to me like maybe you want a little something to “take the edge off” and that’s basically the addictive voice that wants a drink, a pill, anything at all, that’s going to give you a lift.

Up to you what you make of that. :slight_smile:

I hate to admit you are right.

The Lady is always right :slight_smile:

You’re very kind, but I only said what I did because I spent a lot of my 20’s like some delusional female Aladdin, trying to summon up wonders from the bottom of a bottle. Pretty much every time I give someone helpful advice, you’re actually seeing the eviscerated shell of one of my own fuckups.

And I am far from perfect yet… I’m just trying to make new mistakes, instead of the predictable old ones. :slight_smile:

Back on topic, try contacting the Archangel Raphael, he’s really good at healing pain of various sorts, and angels have a very soothing energy and a lot of knowledge and wisdom. I think you’ll like him, he seems to value science and to be aligned with that kind of very rational and serene energy.

My goodness. Yes. Even though I haven’t had booze in over two weeks and off the pain meds from my doc for 2 months, I have been overdoing my appetite suppressing pills I convinced my doc to give me (I don’t really need them, but they give me a slight high). I will ask Raphael for help.

I’ve been on a cocktail of medications before, Abilify was one of them. Largely, I felt like a zombie- just numb all the time. While it didn’t change the actual affect of my magical operations, it did feel weird. It seemed like the same “oomph” my spells and rituals had wasn’t there. It made it difficult for me to determined, psychically, if anything had worked. When I began to think that my magic didn’t work is when the spells began to suffer. Likewise, I forgot about doing any sex magic as my junk went limp for a LONG time. Took me hours to do the deed by myself. That caused more distress than anything else which reduced my own efforts.

Upside: any hallucinations you’re having or anything you thought was magical could disappear, making it easier to distinguish whether or not that image in the magical mirror, feelings of presences, astral travel or physical apparitions are either real or imaginary. So then you know your stuff worked. Best of luck.

abilify is an anti schizophrenic, from experience with this medication I would say yes. Side note, I am far less depressed in the past year after being off of meds and I would correlate that too having less attachment too life and its possible outcomes and embracing the perspective that we are the center of creation for our universe/black magic philosophy…