Ancestry and Paths

Hi all,

My question is- Should I take part in paths that are based off of my ancestry, would that lead to easier integration and practice?

I’ve already delved into a couple but would like to go into a couple others- Native American and Basque. Looking for insights on those paths, especially the Basque since I haven’t found many resources on them.

4 Likes

Ask Lady_Eva about the Native American aspects, not sure if she knows about Basque.

For the most part I would say yes take the path closest to your ancestors.

3 Likes

well I am being drawn towards the shamanic paths and towards Hoodoo and Voodoo… I am half Asian and white so I would be better off with Norse gods like Thor and eastern gods like Shiva but this is the path that I feel close with…

3 Likes

Not much of the pre-Christian Basque mythology survived the arrival of Christianity in the 4th century.

3 Likes

Ultimately, you should go with whatever feels right to you. Meditate on it.

4 Likes

I have read that Gerald Gardner when he was beginning his Wicca movement took a lot of inspiration from the Basque culture. I know of a few authors that integrate syncretic beliefs but we’ll have to see as scholarship continues to grow. Then you have the Theosophists who believe that the Basques are of Atlantean descent as well lol. Mostly based on the close relationship between the language with Dravidian.

http://www.faculty.ucr.edu/~legneref/bronze/dravid.htm

2 Likes

I agree with what @Anziel_Merkaba said. Use the system that feels right with you. Ancestry doesn’t matter.

2 Likes

The magical currents of your ancestors are the building blocks of your abilities, so yes, it’ll be more effective and easier for you to work their magic since you already have a leg up in that department, An old member named Velotak had a post about ancestry in magic that may interest you.

As an added benefit, it’s also much easier for you to get into the deeper and more secret parts of the traditions being a member of their race, and have a lower chance of being conned.

2 Likes