Altars and tools. Help?

I’ve seen pictures of altars on here. Impressive. My question is are those altars dedicated to a specific demon? Or are those altars generally dedicated to all demons?

I’ve seen LHP statues of specific demons, grimoires, candles, etc, so I’m a bit confused. Some clarification would be helpful so I can assemble one when the time comes.

Those who practice a religious form of magick, like demonolatry, or Wicca, sometimes have one “working” altar, that is used for ritual, and another separate one dedicated to their specific patron demon/god/anteater, where offerings are kept and petitions and prayer are made.

However, you can also have an “all purpose” altar that is dedicated to black magick in general, without having to choose a specific spirit.

The altar used in Works of Darkness by EA Koetting, for example, is dedicated to the Powers of Darkness.

4 Likes

The all purpose altar seems like the approach I’ll take. I’m assuming a demonic statue for instance wouldn’t be needed but a few tools perhaps. Would I be correct in that a ritual can be done with an “all purpose” altar dedicated to black magick while summoning the spirit of my choosing?

And Works of Darkness I’ll certainly learn from it along with Evoking Eternity.

1 Like

Statues are generally symbolic, and can either be used as a representative of a specific spirit, or as a representative of the demonic generally. Or it can simply be because you like it.

One thing to keep in mind is that, in ceremonial magick, the altar serves a different purpose than the altar in a religious system like demonolatry. Most of what you see in the Altar thread, for example, are pictures of altars dedicated to specific spirits, like Lucifer, Lilith, Satan, and the like.

In ceremonial magick, the altar is dedicated to whatever powers one works with, and is generally used only for ritual. It is where your tools are kept when you perform magick, and some even have cupboards below where the tools can be stored afterwards, if you are not lucky enough to be able to leave them out in your temple.

1 Like

Should you decide to get a statue for your altar it doesnt have to be limited to one diety, although the two should be on the same page.

For example, I love what Baphomet represents. And right now I’m really onboard with Lord Shiva. The two can share an altar as they “get along” with one another. …so I’m told. Mind you I got that advice from the shop I was lookin’ to buy them from so… Hahahha she may have just been tryin to make a sale! Hahahaha

Thank you.

2 Likes

Understood. In my case a demonic statue isnt necessarily required but optional, so a simple black magick altar with some tools and candles would be alright it seems. For a while i thought I needed a huge altar with several statues lol

1 Like

Nope :slight_smile:

Offerings aren’t used in EA’s system, so the altars in both Evoking Eternity, and Works of Darkness are pragmatic.

1 Like

I might for the aesthetic appearence but I’ll keep this tip in mind.

1 Like

Great :slightly_smiling_face: This was a relief lol.

1 Like

Good morning,

Just checking in once more. I’m not expecting a long reply (you explained enough) but as for tools for a general black magick altar, what would you say are tools to have? I don’t exactly have huge space but I can make way.

All I can think of for tools right now are candles, offering bowl, wine, and scrying mirror. I’m not sure of the candle coloring since each spirit has a preferred color as far as I’m aware. Are the colors really important? Would white or black candles be alright?

I may be overthinking it lol, but anything else? Thanks

Tools depend on the system you are working within. However, in ceremonial magick, the most basic tools are a knife/athame, and candles.

Some systems, like Golden Dawn, also require a wand.

Candle colours are, again, dependant upon the system you are working in. The Golden Dawn, for example, has a very long list of colour correspondences, and almost every form of witchcraft has something similar.

For basic black magick, black candles are the usual, but really, any colour can be used. In Works of Darkness, EA recommends three colours, black, red, and indigo, and in his book on baneful magick, he provides curses that use yellow, brown, green, and blue candles.

Black candles are a good start, though, and you can get other colours when they are needed. I have evoked elementals, demons, and angels, all with the same sky blue candles, though, because they were all I had, so don’t stress overly much if you can’t find a certain colour.

1 Like

Different systems. Interesting. If I’m correct, those systems are still considered LHP but utilize different methods?

You and EA seem to have the answers to it all. Thanks again.

Colour correspondences are neutral, neither RHP or LHP.

Systems are just that, systems. They give you a framework to work within, by providing the what, and the why, and the how of things.

Yes, some system can be labelled RHP or LHP, but, really, they are far more similar than most people on the LHP want to admit, especially the religious systems. There is absolutely no difference between a system of magick that uses prayers to the Christian god, and one that uses prayers to Lucifer, for example. Worship is worship, and supplication is the same no matter what “deity” one chooses to bend to.

1 Like

Question: I have one altar used both for evocations and to give offerings to different Qlippothic entities. Since I developed a relationship with Lilith and consider her my matron, I got a statue of her for the altar. But should I create a separate shrine for her, or move the statue when I’m working with others? I’ve worked a bit with Lucifer, and since Lilith introduced me to him, I wasn’t too concerned with her statue being present. I used Lucifer’s sigil to evoke, but I provided an offering to both of them (for Lilith, it was more of a thank you for the introduction). Going forward, what would you suggest? One working altar (where I also keep my ritual tools), and one dedicated shrine? I’m considering doing pathwork with Belial in the near future.

1 Like

It’s really up to you. There is no right or wrong way to utilise an altar so choose whichever way you feel is best. If the statue of Lilith doesn’t bother any of the other spirits you call, then there is no reason to remove it.

I personally would go with a working altar and a separate dedicated shrine, but the spirits I work with are not limited to only the demonic so, unless you are going to be summoning angels and elementals whose energies might clash with the powers around it, I think you’re okay with having the single altar.

1 Like

Thanks. I do have a separate altar for my work with the Norse Gods, since it was made clear to me that they didn’t want to share that same space. And I haven’t felt a clash with Lilith and any other demonic energies. I also make sure to use different candles for each entity (along with their sigils), which I think helps to keep the evocations distinct and separate.

1 Like