Alright so you know how everything is created in pairs?

You guys have heard of twin flames soul mates and other things that relate to being from the same source
so I was reading The Red King and it was explaining that Hekate is the primordial goddess of darkness
(according to the book) So I was wondering if there was a primordial goddess of light?

That sounds more like Nyx.

2 Likes

Quan Yin, Lakshmi, Maā€™at (arguably, order and the stability of the cosmos = clockwork order = light), all afaik have no dark aspect within their descriptions.

3 Likes

But is there a primordial being of light?

I would disagree. She is a modified version of Avalokiteshvara who can be very very wrathful

1 Like

That is not meant as an argument on either side of this debate. Just pointing out that Avalokiteshvara/Guan Yin is known to manifest wrathfully.

Is she wrathful in pursuit of justice, or just for shits nā€™ giggs? I ask because Maā€™atā€™s feather damns the souls of the heavy-hearted at judgement, but sheā€™s not innately wrathful, itā€™s her function as order to do so.

3 Likes

The former. Still a boddhisatva. Just with a harsher method of spreading enlightenment. Wrath out of compassion for living beings I believe. Not for the sake of wrath.

Ainā€™t they suppose to be a physical menifastion who walk on this earth?

1 Like

Boddhisatvas are enlightened beings that still maintain incarnate manifestation, yes.

2 Likes

One prominent Buddhist story tells of Avalokiteśvara vowing never to rest until he had freed all sentient beings from saį¹ƒsāra. Despite strenuous effort, he realizes that still many unhappy beings were yet to be saved. After struggling to comprehend the needs of so many, his head splits into eleven pieces. Amitābha, seeing his plight, gives him eleven heads with which to hear the cries of the suffering. Upon hearing these cries and comprehending them, Avalokiteśvara attempts to reach out to all those who needed aid, but found that his two arms shattered into pieces. Once more, Amitābha comes to his aid and invests him with a thousand arms with which to aid the suffering multitudes

Avalokiteśvara (ą¤…ą¤µą¤²ą„‹ą¤•ą¤æą¤¤ą„‡ą¤¶ą„ą¤µą¤°) is a bodhisattva who embodies the compassion of all Buddhas.

Quan Yin is the feminine form of the bodhisattva of mercy - Thereā€™s nothing wrathful about her.

Because of a profound trust in Kwan Yinā€™s saving grace and healing powers, many believe that even the simple recitation of her name will bring her instantly to oneā€™s side. One of the most famous texts associated with the bodhisattva, the ancient Lotus Sutra whose twenty-fifth chapter, dedicated to Kuan Yin, is known as the ā€œKuan Yin sutra,ā€ describes thirteen cases of impending disasterā€“from shipwreck to fire, imprisonment, robbers, demons, fatal poisons and karmic woesā€“in which the devotee will be rescued if his thoughts dwell on the power of Kwan Yin. The text is recited many times daily by those who wish to receive the benefits it promises.

Even Primordial beings of Light can sometimes be wrathful.

@Abythoth Yes. he is primarily a boddhisatva of compassion. Avalokiteshvara has a wrathful form though.

@Abythoth Quan yin is the Chinese version of Avalokiteshvara. Several of Avalokiteshvaraā€™s manifestations are known to be wrathful.

Well, I have never heard an instance when she(Quan yin) manifested wrathfully and i have studied her for years now. - Give me an instance if you donā€™t mind.

And even if she does.
Angels also manifest wrathfully - Yet they are still beings of light.

All the ones i have read about depicted ā€œcompassionā€ :slight_smile:

I posted a link above with a list of the wrathful manifestations of Avalokiteshvara in Tibetan Buddhism. Quan yin per sae Iā€™ve never seen wrathful. Avalokiteshvara is a different matter entirely.

Compassionate Wrath. Itā€™s a Vajrayana thing.

Yeah, I read about those two manifestations

Exactly! We could refer to her as a being of Light, yes?

I suppose.

1 Like

I agree. Nyx has existed long before Hecate.
She stood with Erebus(Darkness) to mother many Primordial deities.
-Primordial goddess of night-

2 Likes