A target for anti-trolls

Craigslist.
Now, this site has a lot of useful areas on the site, but there is also seediness there…to each their own, until its largely scammers and trolls there.
So I thought, they should do away with the email relay and anonymous postings. Aldo an archive bit set for all posts. Reveal the email addresses. Searchable email addresses. Searchable archived posts.
Return it to the marketplace and slightly social site it once was.
But this won’t happen, because there is no incentive. But what if there was an incentive, planted in the minds of their executives and marketers/advertisers? What if it brought in more money? What if trolls had to learn to play well with others or evict them from the site?
This could be accomplished through magic, but it would have to be a large egregore to pull it off?

3 Likes

Why reveal the email addresses. That would only be sounds to make it seem like Craiglist can’t be trusted

2 Likes

Why not reveal them? Thats the point. By revealing them and making them searchable and archived, you can find a marketplace buy sell gig or help without trolls onboard.

1 Like

I can help, pm me.

1 Like

Spamming and phishing (the far more sinister tactic of trying to get people to hand over access to their bank accounts and other things, to clean them out and be untraceable) is a massive market, so the idea of a searchable database of real e-mail addresses belonging to people who may be a bit desperate for cash (sellers) or be looking to spend money is literally a cyber-criminals wet dream.

That it would be easy to get home addresses and phone numbers to go with them even takes this beyond the realm of cybercriminals, and into facilitating theft and crimes of violence, possibly even sex crimes, and crimes against children.

So with respect, I understand what your intention is but I cannot advise strongly enough against this, and any site admin who facilitated this would be beyond irresponsible.

If this is spoiling Craigslist, it’s on them to fix - if this is affecting you, you could summon spiritual aid to deter trolls, and use divination if a conversation goes on past 3 back-and-forth exchanges.

6 Likes

A little off topic but i saw this and thought i share.

Yeah, i know NOT those kind of trolls…But if you put it on or near your computer. :thinking:

:smile:

6 Likes

Reveal the email address

1 Like

Another point about this is that trolls are hardly going to use their [email protected] addresses, are they?

They’re trolls - anyone getting addresses is only going to get the soccer moms and Joe Normies who think “if I have nothing to hide I have nothing to fear” and therefore use the same addresses linked to all their profiles.

3 Likes