A Short Critique of the Stigmatisation of Lucifer (Christian mythology)

Lucifer Morningstar was an archangel created perfect in every way. According to Ezekiel (King James Version) he was the most loved by god and possessed the greatest beauty and wisdom; wisdom that was surpassed only by god himself.

"Son of man, take up a lamentation upon the king of Tyrus, and say unto him, Thus saith the Lord GOD; Thou sealest up the sum, full of wisdom, and perfect in beauty” (Ezekiel 28:12).

“Thou hast been in Eden the garden of God; every precious stone was thy covering, the sardius, topaz, and the diamond, the beryl, the onyx, and the jasper, the sapphire, the emerald, and the carbuncle, and gold: the workmanship of thy tabrets and of thy pipes was prepared in thee in the day that thou wast created” (Ezekiel 28:13).

“Thou art the anointed cherub that covereth; and I have set thee so: thou wast upon the holy mountain of God; thou hast walked up and down in the midst of the stones of fire" (Ezekiel 28:14).

After the creation of Adam and Eve, Lucifer was disowned by his father and cast out for supposedly tempting Eve to take a bite of one of the apples from the forbidden tree of Eden.

"Thou wast perfect in thy ways from the day that thou wast created, till iniquity was found in thee" (Ezekiel 28:15).

“By the multitude of thy merchandise they have filled the midst of thee with violence, and thou hast sinned: therefore I will cast thee as profane out of the mountain of God: and I will destroy thee, O covering cherub, from the midst of the stones of fire” (Ezekiel 28:16).

Lucifer was told by god that his duty was to protect god’s creations (Earth and mankind). When he revealed to Adam and Eve that his father had given them ‘free will’ and they decided to utilise that gift, god came knocking with a great fury and blamed Lucifer for the actions of Adam and Eve which resulted in him being cast out of god’s kingdom.

“Thine heart was lifted up because of thy beauty, thou hast corrupted thy wisdom by reason of thy brightness: I will cast thee to the ground, I will lay thee before kings, that they may behold thee” (Ezekiel 28:17).

“Thou hast defiled thy sanctuaries by the multitude of thine iniquities, by the iniquity of thy traffick; therefore will I bring forth a fire from the midst of thee, it shall devour thee, and I will bring thee to ashes upon the earth in the sight of all them that behold thee” (Ezekiel 28:18).

In Isaiah it is said that there was another reason for Lucifer’s fall from Heaven; the desire to exalt himself and take the power and status of his father. In this endeavour he succeeds and becomes the god of the physical world but is punished greatly for his achievement, as is evidenced by the following passages from 2nd Corinthians and Revelation.

“In whom the god of this world hath blinded the minds of them which believe not, lest the light of the glorious gospel of Christ, who is the image of God, should shine unto them” (2 nd Corinthians 4:4).

“And the devil that deceived them was cast into the lake of fire and brimstone, where the beast and the false prophet are, and shall be tormented day and night for ever and ever” (Revelations 20:10).

Lucifer was not only the most loved by god but also his fellow angels. When he was cast down to hell for his transgressions, one third of the angels fell with him.

“And his tail drew the third part of the stars of heaven, and did cast them to the earth: and the dragon stood before the woman which was ready to be delivered, for to devour her child as soon as it was born” (Revelation 12:4).

In the above passage from Revelation there is no indication that Lucifer forced the angels to fall with him. The actual implication here is that Lucifer’s influence was so strong that the angels rallied behind him - that he drew them to him (“And his tail drew”). If this is the case it is because of this bond that the angels fell and not because Lucifer physically dragged them down with him as the passage suggests (if taken at face value).

The following passage from Revelation 12:9 further lends mythological authenticity to this theory.

“And the great dragon was cast out, that old serpent, called the Devil, and Satan, which deceiveth the whole world: he was cast out into the earth, and his angels were cast out with him.”

Notice how it says ‘his angels’? This implies that they joined Lucifer of their own accord or by going against god through the utilisation of their ‘free will’.

When crudely reduced, Christian mythology reveals that Lucifer was a physically, mentally and spiritually superior being, the greatest of all the angels. He made humans and angels (his brothers and sisters) conscious of their ability to make their own choices and strived for power and glory greater than god. You could even go so far as to say that according to Christian mythology humanity owes its ‘free will’ and its potential ability to exist autonomously to Lucifer: the light-bringer. God may have programmed this ability into his creation but Lucifer alone revealed its existence.

5 Likes

Yes, but the name Lucifer in the Bible was only used in reference to King Neberkenezer. This was in reference to the planet Venus that is seen in the morning sky: the morning star. The word Lucifer wasn’t invented until after the Christian Church had been formed & been adopted & established further by the Romans as the State religion.

The name Lucifer is form the Latin, meaning: “light bringer”…composed of two words… Not one proper. The term, Lucifer wasn’t added until the much later, in Europe. It was adopted into the King James Bible, compiled at the order of King James who was a bisexual, & write by Shakespeare. Most of the King James Bible was never apart of the original scrolls found by which it was “translated” from. The King James has stories in it that were added & made up by later scribes, authors, & “holy men” who used a lie to sell their agenda.

The Bible never says that Lucifer is the fallen angel. And, the figure Lucifer that we now know was given the name in works that weren’t established until the 20th Century.

Knowledge is only useful when it’s accurate knowledge. That said, the Lucifer that we know now isn’t the same created by Christian myth.

3 Likes

Thanks for sharing! I actually may bookmark this for future referrence.

This was really well thought out. Also the second refrence from a completely different source to Lucifer being the reason mankind has free will I’ve come across in less than a week.

1 Like

I have found that Lucifer doesn’t really like the Christian myths about him, nor does he like to be approached with those mindsets & thought forms & views. I wouldn’t suggest buying into them.

I agree. This thread provides some info about him according to the scripts of the Christians. However, it’s true that Lucifer was older than this religion and there are much more to him than just what the scripts are saying.

1 Like

I agree. This was a critique of the Christian interpretation of Lucifer using their own mythology. I would never equate him solely to Christianity. I prefer to think of him as a manifestation of Cernunnos; one of the old gods who is prior to existence as we perceive it and who’s energy existed before the emergence of Christianity.

1 Like

In my experience most spirits I’ve come across don’t seem to appreciate the christian mindset about them and are all far older than that. So I’m not buying into anything.

When it comes to making up my mind personally about a spirit I go by my own experiences first research second.

Whether we agree with the christian mindset or not doesn’t change the fact most people are going to hear about a figure like Lucifer first from that background it’s kind of impossible not too within our culture unless you’re coming from an islamic or judaic background.

Chances are good you’re first going to hear about him from sunday school.

I’m not trying to debate the true nature of Lucifer. I don’t know him well enough.

That doesn’t change the fact that in my opinion based on what I know about christian mythology and theology this was a well thought out critique and IS one based on the writer’s interpretation of christian text.

Sometimes we just have to take things for what they are.

I don’t think you’re screwed if you do approach a spirit from this background. If you were you can count out the majority of this forum here as LOTS of people have come from christian backgrounds and left them behind. Even if spirits don’t appreciate christian misunderstandings or interpretations of them they still seem to be pretty patient with us. As long as we are willing to see the whole depth of their characters with an open mind they seem willing to reveal them.

But that’s just my two cents

1 Like

Lucifer came to me when I was young. my parents were not church going people. so we never went to church. My mom was raised catholic and my father Baptist. I never read the bible til i was older just to know I read it. I have more respect for the fallen since I was young

1 Like

I enjoyed this. The bit above is the only part that’s wrong. God did not entrust his creation to Lucifer, but Adam (precisely why god made him).

And the Lord God took the man, and put him into the garden of Eden to dress it and to keep it. GEN 2:15

Also, Lucifer was not blamed. It was actually the serpent, who allowed Lucifer to use its body to deceive them–either by shapeshifting, mild possession, or planting the thought.

1 Like